Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 07:54 PM

260 posts, read 202,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
EXACTLY, Mobile could annex all of West Mobile tomorrow and be perfectly okay, it would also bring in so much revenue and with all the subdivisions being built on the western edges, Mobile would naturally grow for the first time in generations until we fix the issues in East Mobile
No one has brought it up, not the news, city council, mayor, or anyone here, but Mobile is the smallest city land wise in Alabama out of the largest 4. If Montgomery can provide city services to 160 square miles of land, how in the world can Mobile not exceed the 140 square miles we have now? If we had as much land as Huntsville had, we’d be over 250k in population, easily, and we’d be growing due to all the growth happening in west Mobile that would offset losses in the eastern half. Detroit has lost population for 70 straight years, Birmingham has for 60. We’ve lost population for the last 20, but what’s stopping us from losing population for the next 40 when you look at other cities that started to have population loss? I’m sure no one in 1950s St. Louis pictured the city would still be losing population 70 years later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 08:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
No one has brought it up, not the news, city council, mayor, or anyone here, but Mobile is the smallest city land wise in Alabama out of the largest 4. If Montgomery can provide city services to 160 square miles of land, how in the world can Mobile not exceed the 140 square miles we have now? If we had as much land as Huntsville had, we’d be over 250k in population, easily, and we’d be growing due to all the growth happening in west Mobile that would offset losses in the eastern half. Detroit has lost population for 70 straight years, Birmingham has for 60. We’ve lost population for the last 20, but what’s stopping us from losing population for the next 40 when you look at other cities that started to have population loss? I’m sure no one in 1950s St. Louis pictured the city would still be losing population 70 years later

For real, so much potential that the city leaders are squandering. The area should've been annexed eons ago

Old 08-21-2021, 09:51 PM

Mayor Joseph Langan in 1955 pushed through the annexation of Toulminville, Spring Hill, and Cottage Hill, including Wheelerville later on. This took the population from 129k to just over 200k. Included in that was where bel air mall and Springdale malls would be built and south Alabama which was created in 1963. Without the annexations happening, Mobile would’ve likely been Balkanized like Birmingham when white flight started. When white flight hit Mobile in the 60s, those people moved to a western section of the city instead of somewhere that was its own city because of that annexation in 1955. If we aren’t aggressive like that, then we’ll surely be boxed in as time goes on.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Mayor Joseph Langan in 1955 pushed through the annexation of Toulminville, Spring Hill, and Cottage Hill, including Wheelerville later on. This took the population from 129k to just over 200k. Included in that was where bel air mall and Springdale malls would be built and south Alabama which was created in 1963. Without the annexations happening, Mobile would’ve likely been Balkanized like Birmingham when white flight started. When white flight hit Mobile in the 60s, those people moved to a western section of the city instead of somewhere that was its own city because of that annexation in 1955. If we aren’t aggressive like that, then we’ll surely be boxed in as time goes on.

Personally I think Mobile should be continuously pushing west until it reaches the County Line. Mobile's version of Manifest Destiny if you will. Quite a few places already consider Tanner Williams and West Mobile as a part of Mobile proper, Zillow is the first one that comes. Even the city police does in their reports

Old 08-23-2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Personally I think Mobile should be continuously pushing west until it reaches the County Line. Mobile's version of Manifest Destiny if you will. Quite a few places already consider Tanner Williams and West Mobile as a part of Mobile proper, Zillow is the first one that comes. Even the city police does in their reports
If we annexed all the land to snow/McFarland from cottage hill road to Howell’s ferry road, we’d gain less than 20 square miles and we’d still be just short of Montgomery in land size. We’d add about 22k people from that if the census tracts are to be believed. I don’t know if all those people want to be in the city, but it’s just to give an idea that it Montgomery can manage 160 sq miles and 200k population then we should easily be able to do the same

Old 08-23-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
If we annexed all the land to snow/McFarland from cottage hill road to Howell’s ferry road, we’d gain less than 20 square miles and we’d still be just short of Montgomery in land size. We’d add about 22k people from that if the census tracts are to be believed. I don’t know if all those people want to be in the city, but it’s just to give an idea that it Montgomery can manage 160 sq miles and 200k population then we should easily be able to do the same
From what I can gather it seems like more and more people want to join the city. Although frankly, the city could just bullying the rest into doing it by cutting off services like fire and police. Even just the threat scares a lot of West Mobilians. Remember seeing a story like a year ago saying that the city is thinking about reducing its fire and police protection and it freaked a lot of people out

Old 08-24-2021, 08:08 AM

You know, not gonna lie I'm slightly worried that Stimpson might somehow not get reelected and the city would be stuck with either Richardson or Finley. I'm certain that the will just revert back to 2012 in a matter of weeks with either of those 2

Old 08-24-2021, 08:29 AM

490 posts, read 463,917 times
Yeah, Same here. I know it would revert back to 2012 with Finley. His ideas would keep Mobile in a no-growth limbo for years. For Fred, I have no idea. I think it would be worst. Mobile might have a hard time recovering from a Fred tenure.

Wife and I are voting after work. Fingers Crossed he gets it without a runoff.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:10 AM

426 posts, read 382,561 times
Quote:
You know, not gonna lie I'm slightly worried that Stimpson might somehow not get reelected and the city would be stuck with either Richardson or Finley. I'm certain that the will just revert back to 2012 in a matter of weeks with either of those 2
Why are you worried? Honestly Stimpson has done a great job and is well know and like through most demographics. There are no political parties for people to side with and I think Finley will poach a certain amount of Richardsons vote.

Hope I'm right because Stimpson is the right man for the job.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:54 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,857,668 times
I think it is just election day jitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area