Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2021, 01:13 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleFontaineMan View Post
So, if y'all are curious here are the total building permits so far for the 2030 census

Unincorporated Baldwin County: 982
Foley: 877
Unincorporatede Mobile County: 831
Daphne: 755
Gulf Shores: 547
Fairhope: 473
Spanish Fort: 182
Mobile: 180
Saraland: 179
Semmes: 157
Bay Minette: 97
Dauphin Island: 73
Creola: 8
Prichard: 3
Thanks. Any stats for Orange Beach or are those included in Gulf Shores' numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 03:59 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
October 2021 Building Permits

Mobile County: 61
Unincorporated Mobile County: 39
Mobile: 6
Saraland: 8
Dauphin Island: 4
Semmes: 3
Creola: 1

Baldwin County: 195
Foley: 64
Unincorporated: 48
Daphne: 36
Gulf Shores: 26
Fairhope: 13
Bay Minette: 5
Spanish Fort: 3

Unfortunately, it looks Mobile County had a rough month about 25% below the average, need Mobile to pass the UDC so that theres more opportunity for home production in the city, Unincorporated is pretty much carrying the county right now

Edit: Baldwin County also had a rough month Baldwin County was down 13% from the aver
Aren't single family permits down all over the state? Maybe even all over the country?

Old 11-27-2021, 08:14 PM

154 posts, read 150,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Aren't single family permits down all over the state? Maybe even all over the country?
At first glance it looks like its mixed, Jefferson County is above, Lee County is same, Madison is slightly down, Shelby is very down year over year. As for the states it does look like a general slowdown of home production is happening

Old 11-27-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Thanks. Any stats for Orange Beach or are those included in Gulf Shores' numbers?
Unfortunately, I do not have any stats for Orange Beach, they don't seem to submit their building permits to the census like gulf shores does. For some reason several cities in Baldwin County don't do it, Elberta, Robertsdale, Loxley, and Orange Beach don't share how many building permits are submitted to their respective cities

Old 12-10-2021, 09:16 PM

Baldwin County November Housing Report
Total Houses sold: 694
Up 21.75% from last year
Inventory: 1278
Months of Supply: 1.8
Days on Market: 34
Average Sales: 435,942 (new high)
Median Sales Price: 305,000 (new high)
New Construction Sales: 120 (down 26 from last year)
Inventory: 236
Months of Supply 2.0
Avg Sale Price: 362,847
Median Sales Prices 301,402

What is Baldwin County doing? How are regular houses going for the same or higher prices as new houses?

Old 12-10-2021, 09:19 PM

Mobile County has approved 23 lots for home production, Ellen Cove and Penny Lakes
The County is set to approve another 87 lots, Maxwell Place Phase 2 (47) and Kings Branch Phase 2 (40)

This would bring the total approved lots this year to 1343. In comparison, only 486 lots were approved in 2020 and about the same number in 2019. Looks like Mobile County is about to have a boom in home production

Old 12-12-2021, 01:53 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
]

What is Baldwin County doing? How are regular houses going for the same or higher prices as new houses?
Because people are moving here fast and want a place to live. And because Land is now more expensive than the homes being built on them, so already built homes are selling for slightly more than ones just finished or being built.

I have like 20 mailers from different "we will buy your home for cash" companies. If I was smart, I would have took Zillow's offer before they stopped, LOL

I purchased my house in 2015, it is now worth triple what I paid per the county property tax appraisal from October.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Because people are moving here fast and want a place to live. And because Land is now more expensive than the homes being built on them, so already built homes are selling for slightly more than ones just finished or being built.

I have like 20 mailers from different "we will buy your home for cash" companies. If I was smart, I would have took Zillow's offer before they stopped, LOL

I purchased my house in 2015, it is now worth triple what I paid per the county property tax appraisal from October.

Damn dude that's wild. 3 times the value? You chose the right time to buy your home lol.

Interesting enough this is happening all over the state. In terms of its housing market Birmingham Metro actually went down, but the home prices hit an all time high as well. Dothan and Auburn reached near highs (off by just $1,000 for both) rest haven't came in yet. I imagine Mobile will reach a new median high but likely not an average high.

even places in the roughest parts of Mobile have gone up in home prices. Old WWII shotgun houses with 900 square ft have grown in value of like 50%. Surprisingly its the land value going up and not the homes themselves

Old 12-12-2021, 11:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Damn dude that's wild. 3 times the value? You chose the right time to buy your home lol.

Interesting enough this is happening all over the state. In terms of its housing market Birmingham Metro actually went down, but the home prices hit an all time high as well. Dothan and Auburn reached near highs (off by just $1,000 for both) rest haven't came in yet. I imagine Mobile will reach a new median high but likely not an average high.
purchased in 2015, got it for about 20,000 less than it was worth at the time.

so it basically doubled in value from 2015 to 2020, and this years appraisal added another 3rd to that.

Quote:
even places in the roughest parts of Mobile have gone up in home prices. Old WWII shotgun houses with 900 square ft have grown in value of like 50%. Surprisingly its the land value going up and not the homes themselves
Agreed, this is why you are seeing so many remodels on those older homes

Also want to point out that Baldwin numbers may look like they are slowing down, but thats mostly because of NIMBYS.

There are like 4 100+ lot subdivisions and some really large apartment complexes on hold because the county changed the rules in late September and the School system now has to be consulted before things like that are approved. Traffic studies got extended out. Business districts are now included in the study as well, not just the immediate surroundings.

People in Malbis want their own elementary school, and people in Fairhope want another one on or near 181.

The "what's happening in ____" groups have become blood baths.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
purchased in 2015, got it for about 20,000 less than it was worth at the time.

so it basically doubled in value from 2015 to 2020, and this years appraisal added another 3rd to that.

Agreed, this is why you are seeing so many remodels on those older homes

Also want to point out that Baldwin numbers may look like they are slowing down, but thats mostly because of NIMBYS.

There are like 4 100+ lot subdivisions and some really large apartment complexes on hold because the county changed the rules in late September and the School system now has to be consulted before things like that are approved. Traffic studies got extended out. Business districts are now included in the study as well, not just the immediate surroundings.

People in Malbis want their own elementary school, and people in Fairhope want another one on or near 181.

The "what's happening in ____" groups have become blood baths.
NIMBY's are definitely slowing down growth in Baldwin County at this point, they seem to be causing talks of a halt in new subdivisions in some of the cities, I think this is happening in both Daphne and Fairhope. NIMBYism just might kill a lot of the growth all together. Subdivision applications have skyrocketed this past year in Mobile County, might just be easier for developers to develop in Mobile County now with the NIMBYism cropping up in Baldwin County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area