Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Kind of OT here, but what is brining people to Mobile in this economy? I mean, it's my hometown, and I have a soft spot for the area, but is there much business-wise going on? I can't think of any/many companies based there any more.
Something is going on since it is named as the top growth city by Forbes for 2007-2012 ... but you are right, on the surface it definitely does not seem that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
If the OP like "urban" areas I'm not sure if he'll like Mobile or not. The small area downtown feels urban, but the majority of Mobile is more suburban type. There are times when downtown seems completely dead, like on Sundays when people aren't working. And as for walking places, that may be okay during the day, but I sure as hell wouldn't walk around downtown late at night.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,438 times
Quote:
Kind of OT here, but what is brining people to Mobile in this economy? I mean, it's my hometown, and I have a soft spot for the area, but is there much business-wise going on? I can't think of any/many companies based there any more.
I'm only coming for college because USA was the school I was going to go to before I chose my current school. Well, I could've gone to Birmingham, but the city is being ran by a crook.

Plus Mobile's bigger than this area and my hometown.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,169,142 times
Quote:

Well this could be part of the reason http://blog.al.com/live/2009/10/rece...ile_hunts.html

There are several jobs/companies moving in the Mobile area but they are very low key. A company moved to the Bayminette area that rifines and test Jet fuel and engines good pay was looking for 45 to fill the positions. I didn`t read anything about it , it wasn`t on monster or listed in the news paper. I just heard about it from a couple of people. A growing engineering firm downtown on Rayal street can`t think of the name now they were hiring as well and all of those postions filled up in a matter of 2 days. Many think of Austal as blue collar but they had a few of openings for mechanical engineers as well. The Army Corpse of Engineers just filled a few postions and the list goes on and on.

Last edited by PortCity; 10-20-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,169,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtownruth View Post
Definitely check out downtown. It has the bars, clubs, restaurants, market in the square, music, indie movie theatre, sushi, coffee, gelato. For example, OAR is at the Saenger tonight. Downtown is still up and coming but I think you would like it. Midtown is nice, although not urban (you need to use a car to get most places). A lot of people live in midtown and go downtown for entertainment, not to say there isn't anything in midtown. The Mellow Mushroom up at the loop comes to mind, a pizza place with live music- good hangout spot.

Midtown also Has The Double Olive,Trollys,The Canon, Janinos and Callaghan`s Irish pub always have a nice crowd out on any given day and a couple of others.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM

15 posts, read 35,106 times
Should def visit before making a decision!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM

129 posts, read 362,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spierl1 View Post
Hello all, I have to decide about a job offer in the next day or two. I've never been to Mobile, and have been trying to find out everything I can. I'm a 29 year old male, single. I live in Columbus, OH, and absolutely love it. I love living by some great bars, getting to know business owners, being a part of the community, walking to the market, drinking good beer, enjoying the music scene, and cooking. From what I've read on the threads, it sounds like Midtown might be a similar feel? I've lived in the south as well, and have enjoyed Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I like urban areas, hanging out on the porch. I've also heard Mobile is very 'bible-belty', but I imagine that's restricted to the suburbs? I wish I could articulate a little better what I'm looking for. Just a laid back, community-driven area I suppose. With energetic folks trying to make it a better place. And good music and bars and food and similar-aged people to hang out with. Can anyone help? Thanks so much.
I see a lot of people have responded with reassurance that you will like it here. I'm not so sure. I'll take what you said you like and answer each one.

1. Living near some great bars. Good luck. There won't be any walking to these great bars, unless you get lucky. There are very few apts downtown, and that is about the only walking type area in the city. You can walk in the midtown area, but there are only a couple of bars there, and you may want to really check out the neighborhoods first.

2. Getting to know business owners. Ok. You can probably do that anywhere.

3. Being part of the community. I guess you can do that too. I'd say it just depends on the neighborhood you live in.

4. Walking to the market. Not going to happen. See number one. And there are no grocery stores downtown.

5. Drinking good beer. You can finally do that here. They just passed the legislation to allow higher alcohol content beer, i.e. microbrews and imports to the state.

6. Enjoying the music scene. As much as people will probably argue with me on this, the music scene here is really not good. There are only two places to see decent small venue touring bands, and almost no big acts come to Mobile, other than Bayfest. People here don't seem to want to see local acts that don't play covers.

7. Cooking. Well you can do all of this you want. There are some pretty good restaraunts here. People here love to cook and eat.

As far as the Bible-belt thing, Alabama itself is very Bible-belty, but micro brewsthe gulrestaurantsf coast in general is much more relaxed on that attitude. This is certainly not an urban area, except for about a ten block radius downtown, and that is like a ghost town at certain times. I think our city has a lot of potential, but it's going to take some time before it comes together. Gentrification is starting to happen, and if it spreads that will be a good start.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 22,388 times
Thanks Stormchaser! I owe you and everyone else here a beer when (if, but probably when) I get down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStormchaser View Post
Spier1,

I just moved down here about 2 months ago from Cincinnati and I love it. Midtown has what you are looking for. I am a single male in my 30s and chose to live in Baldwin Co. I love it over here.

Mobile is a welcome change from Cincinnati and Ohio (no more snow & brutal cold and the people are MUCH friendlier). Mobile is definitely more like Baton Rouge than Columbus. Different type of peole, different atmosphere. I think you'll love it, but come down and visit just to be sure.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 22,388 times
Also, thanks to everyone else. As far as what's bringing me down there, it's a federal government job. It sounds like there are enough things for me to get into there, even if it is more on the 'has potential' side of things.

Last edited by spierl1; 10-20-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
1. Living near some great bars. Good luck. There won't be any walking to these great bars, unless you get lucky. There are very few apts downtown, and that is about the only walking type area in the city. You can walk in the midtown area, but there are only a couple of bars there, and you may want to really check out the neighborhoods first.

2. Getting to know business owners. Ok. You can probably do that anywhere.

3. Being part of the community. I guess you can do that too. I'd say it just depends on the neighborhood you live in.

4. Walking to the market. Not going to happen. See number one. And there are no grocery stores downtown.

5. Drinking good beer. You can finally do that here. They just passed the legislation to allow higher alcohol content beer, i.e. microbrews and imports to the state.

6. Enjoying the music scene. As much as people will probably argue with me on this, the music scene here is really not good. There are only two places to see decent small venue touring bands, and almost no big acts come to Mobile, other than Bayfest. People here don't seem to want to see local acts that don't play covers.

7. Cooking. Well you can do all of this you want. There are some pretty good restaraunts here. People here love to cook and eat.
I think this is a vary fair response based on the original post.

My only addition would be on #4. There is one way to make this happen. If you don't mind living in an apartment, live in Maison De Ville (think that's the name of the complex) at the corner of McGregor and Airport Blvd. You could then definitely walk to the Fresh Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area