Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 22,388 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have to decide about a job offer in the next day or two. I've never been to Mobile, and have been trying to find out everything I can. I'm a 29 year old male, single. I live in Columbus, OH, and absolutely love it. I love living by some great bars, getting to know business owners, being a part of the community, walking to the market, drinking good beer, enjoying the music scene, and cooking. From what I've read on the threads, it sounds like Midtown might be a similar feel? I've lived in the south as well, and have enjoyed Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I like urban areas, hanging out on the porch. I've also heard Mobile is very 'bible-belty', but I imagine that's restricted to the suburbs? I wish I could articulate a little better what I'm looking for. Just a laid back, community-driven area I suppose. With energetic folks trying to make it a better place. And good music and bars and food and similar-aged people to hang out with. Can anyone help? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 25,062 times
You will do fine here, its doesn't seem like your looking for a metropolitain atmosphere, which Mobile is not. Its a medium sized city which has those things you are describing.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:36 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,748 times
I wish you could visit before deciding. You might like it, but you might not.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,169,142 times
I agree with Oscottscotto you may need to come down and visit. Mobile has what you are looking for such as the bars and live music.Mobile is smaller than Columbus of course , it is the same size as Baton Rouge with a simular feel to it but more dense structurally in my opinion.So if you liked Baton Rouge I think you will like Mobile.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 PM

299 posts, read 938,859 times
Definitely check out downtown. It has the bars, clubs, restaurants, market in the square, music, indie movie theatre, sushi, coffee, gelato. For example, OAR is at the Saenger tonight. Downtown is still up and coming but I think you would like it. Midtown is nice, although not urban (you need to use a car to get most places). A lot of people live in midtown and go downtown for entertainment, not to say there isn't anything in midtown. The Mellow Mushroom up at the loop comes to mind, a pizza place with live music- good hangout spot.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 PM

299 posts, read 938,859 times
Also, I wouldn't worry about bible-thumpers. You'll be fine.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 22,388 times
Thanks so much everyone. This is some of the best information I've been able to find. I guess I sort of thought midtown was downtown. Do many people live downtown, or just head there for entertainment? Is the downtown farmers market the main one in town? I remember the mellow mushroom in Baton Rouge, good times at the trivia night. I wish I could visit as well. At least I'll be afforded a house hunting trip if I accept the position, so I'll be able to look around a little. Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,811 times
Spier1,

I just moved down here about 2 months ago from Cincinnati and I love it. Midtown has what you are looking for. I am a single male in my 30s and chose to live in Baldwin Co. I love it over here.

Mobile is a welcome change from Cincinnati and Ohio (no more snow & brutal cold and the people are MUCH friendlier). Mobile is definitely more like Baton Rouge than Columbus. Different type of peole, different atmosphere. I think you'll love it, but come down and visit just to be sure.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,438 times
I'm hoping to come visit myself sometime in January because I'm looking to moving to Mobile myself.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times
Kind of OT here, but what is brining people to Mobile in this economy? I mean, it's my hometown, and I have a soft spot for the area, but is there much business-wise going on? I can't think of any/many companies based there any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area