Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM

129 posts, read 362,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtownruth View Post
Unfortunately the living options downtown are pretty slim pickings. There is the Tower on Ryan Park, Mattress Factory Condos/Townhomes, Carriage Works, O'Gywnn, the 2 condos above the Crescent Theatre (think they are asking too much), and a few others. Not sure if there would be anything, don't know your budget. The Tower on Ryan Park is probably your best bet (apartments). Of course, if you don't mind living in a bit of a fringe area, there are quite a few nice old houses surrounding downtown that are fixed up and for sale.

The Market in the Square is the market I always go to. I think there is one out at Municipal Park? Over in Baldwin County (over the bay) there are more roadside markets, and we always stop at Burris Farm Market on the way to the beach.

The Winn Dixie downtown(ish) is about to undergo a make-over, and they will finally do something with that old empty pharmacy. Should be nice.

On a side note, Janinos in midtown has been closed for quite a bit, Port. They are about to re-open as a second Osman's (open for lunch). Can't wait.
When I worked downtown last year I walked around everyday at lunch looking at all the new condos. They go from anywhere around $225,000 - $700,000 for about 1000 to 2000 sq. ft. I couldn't understand it. There is a nice new condo complex on Canal St. in New Orleans that goes for half that, on the edge of the French Quarter. Tower at Ryan Park is about $1000/ month for a 1 bedroom apt.

Callaghan`s is the only place with an Irish Pub feeling that I can think of. I know there is Patty O'tooles on Airport, but that is nothing more than a dirty bar with dollar bills on the walls.

That is great news about Osman's opening a new place. That is a tiny gem of a restaurant, probably the most under-known place in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
When I worked downtown last year I walked around everyday at lunch looking at all the new condos. They go from anywhere around $225,000 - $700,000 for about 1000 to 2000 sq. ft. I couldn't understand it.
No offense to anyone, but who would pay $700k?

Better be of NY-Manhatten quality on top of the Battle House with a personal butler included.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM

129 posts, read 362,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post

Better be of NY-Manhatten quality on top of the Battle House with a personal butler included.
My thoughts exactly. I have been perplexed by what I saw for a while. Check this out.

250 Saint Francis Street :: Units

Old 10-21-2009, 03:43 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,748 times
Quote:
That is insane. The monthly dues alone are a low mortgage payment.

It would be cool to live downtown (in 10-20 years after Mobile actually gentrifies), but no way would I ever buy into that when I can get a good house for 100k (and no association dues).

Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM

299 posts, read 938,859 times
Thanks for the tips, I know that shrimp place that you are talking about but have never tried it.

Another great place for fresh seafood is Dauphin Island Parkway (DIP) over here near midtown where there are several places.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:36 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times
Quote:

I feel the same way about downtown residential real estate pricing. We've got the same thing going on in Greenville, SC. But, there are plenty of moneyed retirees and empty-nesters willing to live downtown here (very liveable, walkable, active downtown 24/7), who keep the prices for downtown living high here.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 22,388 times
That's so weird. There's a similar development in Columbus. Right next to a dive bar, and a block away from an old 'red light district.' Units are listed up to $1 million. I can't fathom who's living in these places.

I guess it depends what happens with my house here, if I will be able to rent or buy down there. But it's good to know some spots either way.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 PM

272 posts, read 961,510 times
Quote:
That is insane. The monthly dues alone are a low mortgage payment.

It would be cool to live downtown (in 10-20 years after Mobile actually gentrifies), but no way would I ever buy into that when I can get a good house for 100k (and no association dues).
I hear ya ! I wish some of these monied retirees that like to spend their money foolishly would throw it to me,I'll show em how to get a bang for your buck. I just had a nice BBQ/ outdoor fire place made out of brick matching the brick of our house built off my patio and I love it. Good cookouts, fires outside when it's cooler, they can't do none of that in one of those midtown money pits in the snob zones.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM

272 posts, read 961,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtownruth View Post
Thanks for the tips, I know that shrimp place that you are talking about but have never tried it.

Another great place for fresh seafood is Dauphin Island Parkway (DIP) over here near midtown where there are several places.
They always have good fresh shrimp and they'll pack em in ice for ya. I'm looking foward to checking out Dauphin Island one of these days. So many new adventures, I love it !

Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,169,142 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I have been perplexed by what I saw for a while. Check this out.

250 Saint Francis Street :: Units

So far 13 units out of 26 are pre sold all ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area