Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times

Advertisements

I am confused. (Not hard to do these days).

What is summer solstice? I always understood that it was when the day was equal with the night. The day that the sun reached it's peak of travel and now everything was in reverse, i.e. days getting longer/shorter than the nights. Solstice happens twice a year. Spring and fall.

Monday, March 17, Sunrise was 7:16am. Sunset was 7:16pm. Yet, solstice is Thursday, March 20.

We set our clocks ahead 1 hour for daylight savings time, do we now need to adjust our calendars 3 days ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The owner of the property has two mini Austrailian Shepherds. They are brother and sister out of the same littler. They are totally, NOT Trained. They will crap at the bottom of my steps, the male will pee and mark everything.
Right now I have 12 stud dogs. They don't have any special training (they're all crate-trained but not housebroken as such) but NONE of them mark anything in public (what they do in their runs is their business). Only the boss has the right to 'claim' (mark) anything in public. Guess who's the boss around here.

Females can be worse, tho. I've seen females that lift their leg on every bush.

Funny story: Place I used to live, I kept three young studs together in the back yard. Every morning they had the same routine: Monkey Boy would yawn and stretch and amble over to pee on one particular fence post. Meanwhile Crispin and Bouncy would stand in line, legs crossed, til Monkey Boy was done. Then Crispin took a turn, and finally Bouncy (who by then was downright desperate). They had a dozen trees and 25 fence posts, you'd think they could all find one to use (and the rest of the day, they did), but noooo, first thing every morning it was this same comedy show, like three guys at a one-holer urinal !!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I am confused. (Not hard to do these days).

What is summer solstice? I always understood that it was when the day was equal with the night. The day that the sun reached it's peak of travel and now everything was in reverse, i.e. days getting longer/shorter than the nights. Solstice happens twice a year. Spring and fall.

Monday, March 17, Sunrise was 7:16am. Sunset was 7:16pm. Yet, solstice is Thursday, March 20.

Normally we know the major points as the first day of Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall.

We set our clocks ahead 1 hour for daylight savings time, do we now need to adjust our calendars 3 days ahead?
You have the summer solstice in June, (longest day of the year), the winter solstice in December, (shortest day of the year), then you have the vernial equinox in March, (12 hours of light, 12 hours of dark) and the autumnal equinox in September, (12 hours of light, 12 hours of dark).

The solstices are the major points of the solar year, the equinoxes are the mid points.

We are coming up on the vernal or spring equinox. The days have been getting longer since December 31 and are now equal light and dark.

The movement of sun and earth don't care about daylight savings time, or what time it is on the clock.
We call the major points the first day of Spring in March, Summer in June, Autumn in September, and winter in December.

The Gregorian callendar we use is 1/4 day off from the actual year, which is why the days move from specific dates, (sometimes Monday the 1st is the first day of the month, sometimes the 1st falls on a Friday for the same month), and every 4 years to equalize the callendar, we have a leap year where February has 29 days.

Isn't this fun?

Oh yeah! Just remembered, the spring equinox is 6 weeks from groundhog day, just to confuse the issue a little more

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 03-20-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The Gregorian callendar we use is 1/4 day off from the actual year, which is why the days move from specific dates, (sometimes Monday the 1st is the first day of the month, sometimes the 1st falls on a Friday for the same month), and every 4 years to equalize the callendar, we have a leap year where February has 29 days.

Isn't this fun?
<shakes calendar> I think mine is broken. It just reset itself to some weird date like January 64th. I think it's been talking to the weather service.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
<shakes calendar> I think mine is broken. It just reset itself to some weird date like January 64th. I think it's been talking to the weather service.
It isn't one of those clock/callendars that gets its information from that atomic clock the government runs is it?

On a second note, THIS WEATHER SUCKS!!!

I know March is supposed to come in like a lamb and go out like a lion, but coming in like a B#$$%$% and going out like a M)#$$#$&($%*&$^%#$(*^% has just LOST its charm for me.

Heavy wet snow, wind, cold, sure getting old this year as we close in on the "first day of spring" at 10:57 MDT today.
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/march-equinox.html

This keeps up, I am going to be cutting my wood for NEXT winter in the snow from THIS winter!!!

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 03-20-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 08:37 AM

30 posts, read 51,839 times
The Winter Solstice is always the time for celebration. That is if your a "daylight" person.
Throw on the Yule Log and celebrate.
The daylight slowly at first, then will pick up to about 3 minutes per day. Until the Summer Solstice then it goes the other way.

March 19 sun is the same as Sept 25th Sun, or should be. The Sun will eventually win the battle.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It isn't one of those clock/callendars that gets its information from that atomic clock the government runs is it?
No, it's just a rock. When I can see it I know the sun is up. Unless it snowed. Then I'm confused.

Actually... We lost all our snow around Three Forks when the last big thaw came and flooded Manhattan. We've been up to 62 degrees.

But as of when I went into town last Weds., Bozeman still looks like Siberia. There's still no ground visible and Walmart has piles 5 feet high in their parking lot. And I see the western passes all got dumped on pretty good last night.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 AM

That rock can work as a wind gauge too, if it is missing, the wind is picking up
If the rock is over 5 tons and missing, you may want to stay indoors

Helena got probably 1/2 inch of snow last night, we just got rid of most of the last storm's droppings, but now the wind is picking up pretty good and the new snow is drifting. Lucky there isn't a lot of it.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
That rock can work as a wind gauge too, if it is missing, the wind is picking up
Hmm. I just noticed my rock is gone. You may have something there.

Quote:
If the rock is over 5 tons and missing, you may want to stay indoors
If the rock is over 5 tons and missing, your house is probably missing too!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Oh that's right, you don't live near Big Timber do you...
You wouldn't be used to winds like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana