Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,181,182 times

Advertisements

Earliest snow on record in the Carolinas. Siberia also has atypically early snow cover. Guess whose used air we'll get in a few weeks. I don't know why they can't heat it up before they throw it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,098,079 times
Thought this would be a good day to sleep in. I never use an alarm clock, usually wake up around 5. I don't go to bed until midnight. Old Navy days, we stood Port and Starboard, 6 on, 6 off, I got used to 6 hours of sleep. Anyhow, woke up and looked at my watch, 5:10. So I turned on the TV to an old western, raised up the head of my bed and dozed back off again. Woke up again and my watch read 7.

Now I've got to ask what the hell good the DST setting is? I thought I t should automatically change the time, when we fall back or spring ahead???? Nope. So I slept in until 6am. Boy howdy do I feel rested. hahaha

Old 11-02-2014, 02:06 PM

You musta got my extra hour of sleep by mistake. I had strenuous dreams (the kind where you run all over and accomplish nothing) and woke up exhausted!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:30 PM

71 posts, read 72,989 times
Ahhh! Dinner's and dishes are done, kitchen clean, time to sit back and relax....

Have become addicted to knitting Just finished a tight fitting cap, skull cap?, for Dufus and he really likes it. Says its almost like his Navy watch cap only mine has a ribbed edge he can leave flat or fold up. Never knew I would go nuts with something so mundane as knitting but now already I can't wait to dive into the next challenge.

Thanks Rez for getting back, you know I do worry about you guys. So much for long term food storage? Have been dabbling around with it myself but have no idea what I'm doing outside of spending a lot of money for dehydrated stuff nobody will eat. Now talk about dog food, I got some powdered eggs. Makes my stomach cringe just looking at it in the pantry. It came in a #10 can and I'd put it in canning jars and used the vacuum sealer to seal it up, so there it sits, yuck ugly mustard yellow staring at me every time I walk in there.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 PM

I suppose powdered eggs are like powdered buttermilk, good enough if you don't have cold storage, or need to pack it around with less weight involved.

Why on earth did you take it out of the sealed tin can and put it in jars?? It'd probably keep forever in the can! and you wouldn't have to look at it.

Awful expensive stuff, tho... best price I see is about $25 for 80 eggs worth, or about a pound.

(And when did dry milk get so durn expensive?? I used to get it bulk and throw it on the dog food. Not anymore!!)

Old 11-02-2014, 08:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,098,079 times
As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no need for powders anything in my house. Having spent 18 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, I have no need for powdered. When a ship deployed, you run out of eggs_ milk, and potatoes about 10 days out. I told my ex, that when she made mashed potatoes, leave lumps so I know their not powdered. I also told her that if I ever found powdered in the pantry, she could pack her bags. I understand powdered, when you are 3000 miles from a grocery store, but there are too many starving farmers to not by their products.

Every Sunday the ships cook made omelette to order. I wouldn't eat them because even import he used powdered eggs to make omelette. To this day, even in a restaurant, the only way I eat eggs is sunny side up. I won't eat mashed potatoes, anywhere, unless I see them make it with real potatoes.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 PM

If you ate a Navy omelet since about 1970, and it was made from the Navy cookbook, it used one of my friend Scratch's recipes. He makes dandy omelets. Officers noticed.

As to powdered stuff -- it's made from the very same potatoes and milk and eggs as the fresh stuff -- some farmer still had to grow it, and they still got paid for it. In fact it prevents waste and lost profits, since we not only produce more food than we can use fresh, it's a place for all the ugly potatoes that don't sell in today's consumer market, and a far better paying market for surplus milk than pig food. So powdered products are a market for farmers' goods that otherwise they couldn't sell at all, because it's either not up to consumer expectations for appearance, or there's just too much of it at certain times of the year (like with milk). I'd guess if powdered food products suddenly went away entirely, so would a lot of farmers who couldn't make it on the fresh market alone. Same principle as canned goods, really. An awful lot of ugly, grocery-unsalable tomatoes become perfectly good canned tomato sauce.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,045,263 times
Rez, now that you mention the Navy cookbook(s) I happen to have the web link to the military database of cooking (recipes). If anyone wants it I can post it once I get my laptop back from my wife.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 AM

Heh, that sounds interesting. "Start with 500 pounds of powdered eggs..."

Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,045,263 times
Ya know, I thoght that as well. when I actually read the recipes I was surprised to see that they pretty much all contain fresh ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana