Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 01:51 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Of all things. Some bastard stole the American Flag off the front of my cabin early this morning. About 5:15, I heard a clunk clunk on my steps. Neighbor dog comes up my steps every now and then, so I didn't think much of it. About 30 minutes later I got up to let Timber out. My flag is gone. I have only had it about a month. Good quality cotton, 3x5 flag with embroidered stars. Hope God has mercy on his sole,, because if I find out who did it, I won't take any mercy. I have no tolerance for a their.

How weird is that--the same thing happened in San Diego on Veterans' Day:
Flag stolen from local grandmother - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

I tried to google "flag stolen," and there are stories from many other places, just in the last 2-3 weeks. What's going on???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 04:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
How weird is that--the same thing happened in San Diego on Veterans' Day:
Flag stolen from local grandmother - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

I tried to google "flag stolen," and there are stories from many other places, just in the last 2-3 weeks. What's going on???
I'm thinking it is some kind of challenge or dare. I'm not the only one from around here. My neighbors wasn't touched, but his is higher off the ground. He mounted his flag on a pole and then stood the pole up. Mine was on an aluminum pole that is attached to the front of my cabin at an angle. I'm glad they didn't take the pole. I paid big for it, 6' pole and the top 3' is a heavy sleeve, on bearings so the flag can't tangle.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:54 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
I'm thinking it is some kind of challenge or dare. I'm not the only one from around here. My neighbors wasn't touched, but his is higher off the ground. He mounted his flag on a pole and then stood the pole up. Mine was on an aluminum pole that is attached to the front of my cabin at an angle. I'm glad they didn't take the pole. I paid big for it, 6' pole and the top 3' is a heavy sleeve, on bearings so the flag can't tangle.
That's pretty mean spirited. At least you have the pole so if you catch them you can run it up their arse.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Interesting ride to the post office yesterday. We don't have mail delivery and because of single digit temps, I haven't been to the post office all week. Roads are snow packed to the point of glazed ice. I haven't changed out my rims and tires to my knobbys. I'm still running my common treads and with a machine with a lot of torque and only weighs about 500 lbs, Timber and I had a blast skip sliding all the way there and back.

This morning, it be a blowing, gusts up to 45mph. When I went out at 8 to take snow samples and do the chores, it was 2 steps forward and slide 3 steps back. Today wasn't near as fun as yesterday. :-)

Old 11-18-2014, 12:10 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Back to civilization, dang it.

Spent the last 11 days chasing the wild wapiti through snow and mud, arctic winds and mud, LOVE IT!!

I didn't connect, but of the 12 people I hunted with, we came out with 8 elk altogether, and a couple deer, so not a bad score.

Weird coming back to work, like I never left at all, same piles of work, same employee issues, same coffee, I am really looking forward to retirement, but that's still 10 years down the road.

My hunting partner forded a creek with his truck and a pice of ice went up into the engine and busted the petcock off of his radiator. Lucky we noticed we were loosing fluid. He called one of his employees over with a truck and lowboy so we could load his pickup and take it home.

He had to replace the fan, shroud, radiator, water pump, return line for his tranny, and it busted a chip out of one of the idlers on his serpentine belt. At least we caught it before it damaged the engine, that would have really cost big money.

That little whitetail button buck he shot cost him about $50 a pound!

Still, we had a lot of fun and I can't wait to get back out there!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Yeah I'm back at work too. I connected with a 2yo 3x3 whitetail. He should be good for the table this winter.

I'm now going back to birds. Ducks, geese and pheasant.. My dogs are ANTSY

Old 11-18-2014, 01:39 PM

8 out of twelve is great.

OK, you can't make this up.

Mike, my neighbor has a big 11.5 ft camper on his 2001, Dodge Cummins. He loaded up his horse trailer and one of his Percheron's and headed up on top to meet up with his son to go elk hunting. His son drives a 2013 Chevy Duramax, and he had his horse with him, having pulled his combination rv/horse trailer. Really nice rig.

When Mike got. up there, he found his son camped on top of a hill, in the wind. Mike didn't want to park up there so he parked and set up camp in a little culdesac about 300 yards from his son. They would agree to meet, on horseback, at a particular time in the morning and set off on the days hunt. Jason shoes horses for a living and about the 4th day hunting, Jason had to run over to a ranch and shoe 4 horses.

At about 5 am, Jason, in underwear and boots, got out of his camper and went and started the duramax and then went back into the camper. He didn't have the brakes set. Mike was sound asleep in his camper. The duramax was pointed away from Mike. The duramax, with trailer, started rolling. As it gained speed, with Jason bouncing around in back, it glanced off a tree, then another tree, then through some aspens, and then T-boned Mikes truck. It hit right behind the cab. Slid, truck with horse trailer, 4 ft sideways.

Duramax, $11,000. Damage
Dodge, $6,790. Damage. (truck is valued at $7,100.)
Mikes camper, Totaled at $2,700. Value.

Mikes wake up call from a sound sleep, priceless.

How many people do you know that can park in the middle of a National forest and damn near total their truck? I only know of one. hahahahaha

Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
Quote:

Mike, my neighbor has a big 11.5 ft camper on his 2001, Dodge Cummins. He loaded up his horse trailer and one of his Percheron's and headed up on top to meet up with his son to go elk hunting. His son drives a 2013 Chevy Duramax, and he had his horse with him, having pulled his combination rv/horse trailer. Really nice rig.

When Mike got. up there, he found his son camped on top of a hill, in the wind. Mike didn't want to park up there so he parked and set up camp in a little culdesac about 300 yards from his son. They would agree to meet, on horseback, at a particular time in the morning and set off on the days hunt. Jason shoes horses for a living and about the 4th day hunting, Jason had to run over to a ranch and shoe 4 horses.

At about 5 am, Jason, in underwear and boots, got out of his camper and went and started the duramax and then went back into the camper. He didn't have the brakes set. Mike was sound asleep in his camper. The duramax was pointed away from Mike. The duramax, with trailer, started rolling. As it gained speed, with Jason bouncing around in back, it glanced off a tree, then another tree, then through some aspens, and then T-boned Mikes truck. It hit right behind the cab. Slid, truck with horse trailer, 4 ft sideways.

Duramax, $11,000. Damage

How many people do you know that can park in the middle of a National forest and damn near total their truck? I only know of one. hahahahaha
Horses ok?

Old 11-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Horses ok?
Horses weren't in the trailers, they were in a little portable, solar powered electric fence in closure. Jason and Mike were fine.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:12 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:

Duramax, $11,000. Damage

Sounds like hunting to me!
I got a lot of stories about vehicle mishaps when you leave the pavement.

The same friend that had the radiator problems, last year had to basically rebuild the front of that same 2001 Ford ranch edition pickup because he was parked at a job site back in the hills somewhere, and the little plastic piece in the transmission that holds the truck in Park broke.
Sent his truck barreling down the hillside and into a tree. Had to replace the grill, lights on one side, hood, fender, bumper, and the door was sprung, all because of a little piece of plastic!

Glad your friend and his son are OK though. That's something that can't be replaced at any price.

A father and son were woodcutting near Helena in 2011, truck took off, crushed the son. Father was trying to do CPR when the EMTs got there, but the son had been basically cut in half.
No amount of therapy will every make that right, so I am really glad your friend and his son just had some fender damage and a great story out of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana