Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times

Advertisements

Thankfully they were OK. They had to laugh about it. They were out inspecting the damage and talking about it for about 30 minutes. They were at 9000 ft and the temp was 15 below zero. At about the thirty minute mark, they realized they were standing there in underwear and boots. No socks, no T-shirt just underwear and boots. Mike said he went back in his camper and cranked up the furnace. He didn't warm up enough to go hunting until about 10. Jason had to have a wrecker. one and get his truck, grill, radiator, air conditioner cooler, fan, etc was all crushed in and bleeding fluids. True hunters, Jason got out a shovel and dug up all of the frozen ground where he leaked fluids and threw it in the back of his truck. He made sure everything was cleaned up like the broken glass from the headlights. Mike said that when Jason was done, you couldn't tell anything had happened there.

Jason is a pretty good ferier. He does the horses here, and I sent him over to do my son's horses. He went to a school for several months down in Misquite Texas to learn orthopedic correction with shoes. He's got a little portable forge, a welder, etc all set up on his truck. If you schedule him, he wants to come out every 6 weeks, you don't even have to call him. He's very gentle with the horses. For trimming, he charges $40. per horse, even if he has to pull the shoe, trim, and put the shoe back on. If the horse needs a new shoe, its an additional $15. per hoof. At that price, its well worth having him scheduled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:40 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Not bad! Lot of the farriers around here charge through the nose.

There is a female farrier in Big Timber that my sister uses, and she's really good. Skinny little thing, probably only stands about 5' 3", but she throws that anvil around like nothing! My father was more impressed with the way she handled that anvil than with how well she shod the horses,(which she did a good job on by the way).

Looks like I'm going back out Friday - Monday, 8 degrees this morning, I hope it warms up a little cause I'll be staying at the cabin which is wood heat only and not completely winterized Usually means I sleep in a chair by the fire and keep stoking all night.

Hopefully, the only story I have on Tuesday is how I filled my tag

Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

>>>>(SNIP)<<<<Hopefully, the only story I have on Tuesday is how I filled my tag
Well, I sure wish you luck in filling that tag.............And, by the way Tip, I'm gonna be nice, I'm not gonna tell you what I had in the yard this mornin'

Ketch ya later.............................

Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 PM

606 posts, read 1,977,760 times
Elk, where does Jason work? Think he would take a drive up to Roundup?

We have need of a good orthopedic ferrier!

Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post

Hey hymnsinger...............

Just kind of a general question in your field:

Both my paternal Grandparents were born and raised in Prauge,....... (and all previous family members were also from Bohemia)......they came into this county in 1892 through Ellis Island and settled in Berwyn, Illinois. My Dad was born in Berwyn in 1900.
Both my maternal Grandparents were born in Dublin, Ireland and came into this country also in late 1800's (I believe it was 1890)......and my mom was also born in 1900 (in Chgo).
The only qualification that I know of, is that my maternal Grandmother's mother was English & her husband was Irish......

How would I properly describe my ancestery? Thank you.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:44 AM

606 posts, read 1,977,760 times
Hey Griz,

Ethnicity is not just limited to a place, but also a time in history. That said, linguistically you would probably be Indo-European, mostly Northern Caucasian (Chechen), Slavic West (Poles), and some Celtic, Goidelic (Irish). If anyone asks, you could say you are of central European ancestry.

Historically, only a DNA test would say for sure! Historical ethnography in Europe is far too complex for me to go into at this time. I haven't studied it enough! It is a fascinating subject that I am interested in, so I'm sure I'll get into it eventually!

Here is a book to get you started on those snowy, blowy days!

Researches Into the Physical History of Mankind: Ethnography of Europe. 3d ed. 1841 (Google eBook),
by James Cowles Prichard

Researches Into the Physical History of Mankind: Ethnography of Europe. 3d ... - James Cowles Prichard - Google Books

Blessings!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Well, I sure wish you luck in filling that tag.............And, by the way Tip, I'm gonna be nice, I'm not gonna tell you what I had in the yard this mornin'

Ketch ya later.............................
I hear you Griz, and thanks for the good wishes.

Usually, the biggest buck I see all year is on the lawn of the Capital during hunting season

I've seen a lot of game this year, more than I've seen in the past several years in fact, but the cow elk I was lined up on to shoot, well, that one became my cousin's son's first elk.
Instead of just another elk for the freezer, that cow is now immortalized as that kid's first elk ever, so how could I really be upset I didn't take the shot?

I love hunting, and the meat, but the best part of it is always the time spent with friends and family, the adventures, the stories, and just sharing time with the people you care about.
I may be weird, but I can have a great hunting season and never fire a shot.

That said, I still want to put something in the freezer besides just the 2 antelope the wife and I got in October.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post

He lives in Buffalo and works from Kaycee to Sheridan/Ranchester. He does run up to Billings for supplies sometimes, I'll talk to him next time he's over.

Silvertip, you mentioned '"the first elk". This story is about the first deer. We had a family staying here in an rv while their house was being built. The son turned 14 and was excited about going on his first ever, deer hunt. He was ruined. His dad and him went out and they spotted a nice whitetail, at about 275 yards. Dad told him to settle in, get a bead on him and see how steady he could hold. Shooting a .243. The kid didn't even try lining up, he simply told dad, I think we should try and get closer. Now you and I, on our first hunt, probably would have emptied the rifle. But no, this kid really has an head on his shoulders, so dad said, lead the way. Kid led dad up to about 125 yards without alerting the buck. He settled in and squeezed one off. The buck didn't even take a step, but crumbled right where it stood. The kid field dressed the deer and they loaded up and headed for home. Got to an game check and when the game warden looked at the buck he said, Hold on a sec, and went and got his little tape measure and a clipboard with some forms. He went to measuring and filling out the forms. All said and done, it was a Books and Crocket record. His first deer, a B & C record.

I said dad ruined him. The kid got a record buck, what is he going to expect the next year? You always try to better yourself, specially a kid. Nope, I said the kid had a head on his shoulders, the kid, the next year told dad, I know how a buck tastes, this year I want to shoot a young doe and see how that meat is.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 PM

That kid is a HUNTER!

My first buck wasn't real big, a 3 point muley, (6 point for those eastern folks ), but I shot it with a pistol at 30 yards. My Grandfather was with me, and it made it a really memorable hunt.

Hearing stories about kids like you have there, that is one of the things that makes hunting so special. Just the kind of thing I love to hear as it gives me hope for the kids coming up and joining with the tradition.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Here's my great-nephew with his first in 2006 in the Big Timber area ...
(A roast was dry-iced and sent to me. Yum!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jacob's First Elk 2006 #2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	139801
His younger brother just got his first a few days ago.
I'm watching for the UPS truck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana