Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM

34 posts, read 85,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sorry Montana Griz, won't let me rep you, but you certainly deserve it.

The tone of this thread lately is a perfect example of why outsiders are met with suspision and reserve.

No, Montana is not some Paradise lost, yet, but the influx of those who disparage our values and traditions and have no respect for the people who live here, and denegrate the things that the residents love about this place are eroding our once lovely state.

Those who come here and purposely work to destroy what they don't like to make it more like Seattle or Portland or San Fransico orwhatever "Civilized" urban perdition they come from are not adding to the well being of this state or whatever state they move to.

Montanan's love this state, we have roots here, our forefathers and mothers are buried here and we have raised our families here. It isn't easy, we made do with small wages, long hours and hard work.

Maybe it was harder because we couldn't get an alfalfa smoothie in the afternoon, but good spring water and black coffee get us through the day.
(Oh yeah, and large quantities of Mountain Dew).

To see some of the posters try to denegrate us for not embracing a philosophy of failed political disasters that most see as destroying the freedom to become everything you want to be, to run down hard work because you should be happy to pay for the shiftless, is petty and exemplifies the closed mind set of the left.

Most Montanan's don't care what car you drive, or the label on your clothes, it seems to be of far more importance to those showing how much money they make to try and make others feel inferior.

Here, the superficial, the shallow, the psudo-enlightend are shunned as they have no substance. The arguments they offer ring hollow as history has seen their ideals of a government run life fail over and over across the globe.

It is easy to say, " There should be a program to take care of that" runs contrary to the Montana lifestyle of taking care of our own. Charity is a wonderful thing when it is an individual giving of themselves to help their neighbors, but when the goverment confiscates your wage to give it to someone who refuses to work, or is a member of the proper minority it isn't charity, it is despotism, and Montana is not the place to preach the teaching of Marx and Mao.

We work for what we have. We put in long hours in a harsh climate to earn our living and provide for our families.

I for one don't care what the brand name of the clothes I am wearing is as long as it covers what needs covering and provides some warmth.
I don't care if my car wasn't made in Germany as long as it gets me to work and home.
I don't drink spritzers, or mocalattachinolates with sprinkles. I go to a restaraunt that serves good portions of good food at a good price. I don't have a need to pay large tabs for a meal that leaves me hungry just so I can say I eat at Chez Snob.

Most of us are what the elites would call the great unwashed because most of us don't read books like "The Road". I have, and found it to be trite and a celebration of how lazy and worthless someone can be when searching for gratification through drugs and avoidance of work and calls it a search for "enlightenment".
Why waste time on "philosophers" that celebrate the basest of human drives, laziness, sloth, and huberous.

Bozeman used to be a great place. Now it is indistinguishable from any other McMansion infested ski tramp town such as Aspen or Vail. A gathering place for the rich and shameless to indulge in excess to fill an empty life.

There aren't guards at the boarder holding people in, like the workers paradises of Soviet Russia, Cuba or North Korea.
If you don't like it here, you are free to leave and go back to the overtaxed, crowded, gang ridden hole you came from. There maybe, someone will be impressed you wear clothes that cost 10 times what they are worth just because they have the proper label.

We Montanan's aren't that shallow, so you probably will never fit in here.
So please feel free to go somewhere you will fit in with the other empty people.

My rant is over.
Perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Let's say, hypothetically, that I am a card carrying BMW-driving, alfalfa-latte-smoothie drinking, welfare-loving, North-Face wearing, commie sympathizer (none of which is true). So what if I am? It's none of your business!

Isn't the unofficial motto of this state sort of "Don't Tread On Me"? Maybe we should change it to "Don't Tread On Me As Long As We Already Agree About Everything." That's called a "double standard" boys and girls.

What you're talking about isn't a "Montana" value. Those are values of people who live in fear of the reality that life is ever changing. You can reject it and be bitter about it. Tell everyone who doesn't subscribe to that double standard to leave immediately. Or you can embrace it, accept that people who like alfalfa smoothies are not inherently evil, and learn a thing or two about being a decent human being.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,130,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sorry Montana Griz, won't let me rep you, but you certainly deserve it.

The tone of this thread lately is a perfect example of why outsiders are met with suspision and reserve.

No, Montana is not some Paradise lost, yet, but the influx of those who disparage our values and traditions and have no respect for the people who live here, and denegrate the things that the residents love about this place are eroding our once lovely state.

Those who come here and purposely work to destroy what they don't like to make it more like Seattle or Portland or San Fransico orwhatever "Civilized" urban perdition they come from are not adding to the well being of this state or whatever state they move to.

Montanan's love this state, we have roots here, our forefathers and mothers are buried here and we have raised our families here. It isn't easy, we made do with small wages, long hours and hard work.

Maybe it was harder because we couldn't get an alfalfa smoothie in the afternoon, but good spring water and black coffee get us through the day.
(Oh yeah, and large quantities of Mountain Dew).

To see some of the posters try to denegrate us for not embracing a philosophy of failed political disasters that most see as destroying the freedom to become everything you want to be, to run down hard work because you should be happy to pay for the shiftless, is petty and exemplifies the closed mind set of the left.

Most Montanan's don't care what car you drive, or the label on your clothes, it seems to be of far more importance to those showing how much money they make to try and make others feel inferior.

Here, the superficial, the shallow, the psudo-enlightend are shunned as they have no substance. The arguments they offer ring hollow as history has seen their ideals of a government run life fail over and over across the globe.

It is easy to say, " There should be a program to take care of that" runs contrary to the Montana lifestyle of taking care of our own. Charity is a wonderful thing when it is an individual giving of themselves to help their neighbors, but when the goverment confiscates your wage to give it to someone who refuses to work, or is a member of the proper minority it isn't charity, it is despotism, and Montana is not the place to preach the teaching of Marx and Mao.

We work for what we have. We put in long hours in a harsh climate to earn our living and provide for our families.

I for one don't care what the brand name of the clothes I am wearing is as long as it covers what needs covering and provides some warmth.
I don't care if my car wasn't made in Germany as long as it gets me to work and home.
I don't drink spritzers, or mocalattachinolates with sprinkles. I go to a restaraunt that serves good portions of good food at a good price. I don't have a need to pay large tabs for a meal that leaves me hungry just so I can say I eat at Chez Snob.

Most of us are what the elites would call the great unwashed because most of us don't read books like "The Road". I have, and found it to be trite and a celebration of how lazy and worthless someone can be when searching for gratification through drugs and avoidance of work and calls it a search for "enlightenment".
Why waste time on "philosophers" that celebrate the basest of human drives, laziness, sloth, and huberous.

Bozeman used to be a great place. Now it is indistinguishable from any other McMansion infested ski tramp town such as Aspen or Vail. A gathering place for the rich and shameless to indulge in excess to fill an empty life.

There aren't guards at the boarder holding people in, like the workers paradises of Soviet Russia, Cuba or North Korea.
If you don't like it here, you are free to leave and go back to the overtaxed, crowded, gang ridden hole you came from. There maybe, someone will be impressed you wear clothes that cost 10 times what they are worth just because they have the proper label.

We Montanan's aren't that shallow, so you probably will never fit in here.
So please feel free to go somewhere you will fit in with the other empty people.

My rant is over.
Straight from the heart..........spoken with total honesty.....Great Post

Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,130,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Subarus, Volvos, Birkinstocks, and North Face are about greed and overconsumption? I thought they were about being thrifty and practical! That's what we had, back when we were in grad school, rolling pennies to pay for food.

You make me glad we picked Portland,...and so are the real Montanans on this board) instead of Missoula or Montpelier (and those were on our list...Portland won because we had income streams from here). It would be terrible if our possessions made the neighbors feel uneasy. I don't think my Cayenne, or DH's Gelaendewagen would be very welcome at all. And I won't even start listing the labels we wear, now that we've moved up from North Face. Plus, designer coffee is so unhealthy. We have to have a nearby juice bar (another reason Portland won). DH goes into an afternoon slump, if he can't have an Alfalfa Shot.

On the other hand, we hate Democrats and Republicans equally, are confirmed Agnostics, and know how to handle a post hole digger & string barbed wire. And while I may own six sets of china (all of them disturbingly fancy...to judge the looks on the new neighbors' faces), I was out doing heavy digging and pruning in the yards of elderly neighbors, within a week of moving in (wearing Carhartt insulated overalls, silk turtlenecks from Saks, Duck Boots, and a Chinchilla-lined Aviator Hat from Neiman's). And I think I'm adjusting well to a simple life in Oregon; leaving behind the satin, velvet, gold-leaf and marble of the Mississippi house...letting my decorator re-frame the Mississippi Impressionists in Maple, to match the new floors...learning to appreciate the way the Oatmeal Linen upholstery melds with the Travertine walls...learning to exist in a house whose outer walls are mostly GLASS. So, I think I could easily adjust to a Vermont farmhouse, if neighbors could forgive my husband's Mink-lined Crocodile Bomber Jacket from Bijan.

Anyway, I'm telling you these things so that you will be less horrified by the Volvo & Birkenstock crowd. This is your Bete Noire speaking: Things COULD be worse. Far, far, worse...
Oh yes they sure could be......'geonerd' could move in next door.......and you could be his realitive and come visit for the summer!!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:27 PM

475 posts, read 1,500,508 times
You know I don't live in MT, I live in South Florida, and we have more than our share of village idiots as well, our Snowbirds show up every November and we are all grateful when it warms up in NY, NJ and MI and our Snowbirds fly back home.

But I have to say I certainly understand after visiting this site why some people moving into MT are not welcomed with open arms. Frankly if some of these people moved in next to me, I would be looking for the roadmaps and giving them directions to I-95 north.

I sort of feel the same way about people expecting the residence of FL to learn how to speak Spanish. Excuse me, move to my country, learn my language.

MTSilvertip, I don't know what you do for a leaving, or what your education is, and frankly it does not matter. You speak clearly, eloquently and with intelligence. It is a pleasure to read your postings. You just tell it like it is.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,993,822 times
I agree with many to keep Mt as it is/was.... Vt too.

I live in NH which has been taken over by the democrates.

What happens is these city dwellers want a rural life, then they want tax paid for trash pick up, they want good schools too, which is a good thing.

Then they posted all the land with No Tresspassing Signs, where there were none and before no one cared who land you walked over, so long as you didn't trash the place.

They cry for stiffer gun laws as if they are special and no one should own a gun no matter what kind because only the army and the police should be allowed to have guns.

They will move in next to a long time gun range, and build a home, then complain anout too much noise.

Then they start in to harass hunters, all the while their condo is right smack dead center in a 500 year old deer wintering yard.

Just like elsewhere they will complain about a farm raising cattle that was there for nearly 200 years before they came.

They want to be the newest big shot on the block and suddenly you find you can't do what you always did on your own land!

This brings code and enforcement, and god help you if you build a shack to make maple syrup in with out a permit!~

It isn't we don't like the people, but it is we don't like when they suddenly become so bossy.

They have this funny way of wanting tolerance for all, but when they get it, the idea becomes 0 tolerance. That translates to pointing a finger at another and getting busted for criminal threatening with a deadly weapon.

I recall when the law here stated a deer hunter with a deer must display the deer in plain open site, to be legally driving to a check station or from it to home or a butcher shop.

No more, you get a deer around here now and you need a gutting permit before you can move the deer and when you do drive ....finally no part of that deer shall be visable.

Open carry is still legal in NH, but if you do you risk arrest.

One day shooting on another guys land with written permission, out in no where, the cops came to lecture me. I pointed out my note, told them if any one was tresspassing they were, which didn't go over very well, but then with the cruiser running they caught the property on fire, buring up 1 acer, calling the fire dept, nearly loosing the tax paid cruiser, and I ended up getting kicked out by the cops anyway for that day.

All hell breaks loose if you ride a horse at the road side and have a long gun... A squad of cops will come and find you minding your own bee's wax.

If you are dressed up in clothing from 1820, they want to know who the president is, and maybe what year it is, I always say jackson and 1820

Old 01-30-2010, 04:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
Here is a great link that expounds upon the OP. it's the Larimer County Code of the West. It might be designed for Larimer County, but it can apply anyplace where city slickers might move.

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/planning...west/index.htm

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-30-2010, 04:38 PM

475 posts, read 1,500,508 times
Guess there are village idiots everywhere.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,787,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Oh yes they sure could be......'geonerd' could move in next door.......and you could be his realitive and come visit for the summer!!
Even better (worse), I could build my Dream Chateau on whatever hill overlooking town the Russian mobsters haven't built on yet (not that we wouldn't get along...I make a great Borscht...but because I'd need a whole hill...I'm thinking of something like Greystone Mansion, only Frenchy). Then, all of Missoula could gaze upward, past poodle-clipped topiaries, and behold something straight out of Dallas....only better...because it would be entirely visible, from all angles...not hidden by the other Chateaux, like in Dallas and Beverly Park. The town would be...like...transformed! But don't worry: we're not chateau-building rich, yet. Might not ever be, the way America is being dismantled. Consider Geonerd to be a more viable threat.

BTW, we went to TestyFesty, and were horrified. Didn't see near enough indecent exposure. Frankly, the Trout stream the B&B was on, was more entertaining... And I love those Sheep-like things that stand in the road. They loved us, because we let them have our salad greens. What are those animals?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:56 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,188,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Even better (worse), I could build my Dream Chateau on whatever hill overlooking town the Russian mobsters haven't built on yet
"There's a great Darsh face hanging over your garden wall..."

(Readers of Jack Vance's science fiction will get the reference, the rest of you will just be baffled....)

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,188,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Guess there are village idiots everywhere.
Sometimes even in places that don't have a village!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana