Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
So what are their solutions? They dont list any. Also, planes have been loud over sc for years, and i heard that they moved routes to be over less populated areas. Now the people in the rural areas are complaining. Do they want the routes switched back to flying over populated areas? This website really doesnt have any solutions, and at this point looks like any number of antiflouride, antichemtrails, antivaccination sites ive seen over the years. Im sure you know the kind im talking about, bluesky, as an sc local....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
So what are their solutions? They dont list any. Also, planes have been loud over sc for years, and i heard that they moved routes to be over less populated areas. Now the people in the rural areas are complaining. Do they want the routes switched back to flying over populated areas? This website really doesnt have any solutions, and at this point looks like any number of antiflouride, antichemtrails, antivaccination sites ive seen over the years. Im sure you know the kind im talking about, bluesky, as an sc local....
I don't know what the solution is.
No one wins.
I heard that a lot of the jets that are flying over parts of S.C. county now were previously flying over Big Sur.
I'll make the sacrifice for Big Sur ... a magical place that i love so much.
But the jet noise over where i live is really loud. And i live immersed in nature so it's very noticeable. If you're out in the county where there's traffic noise you don't notice it much. But if you live in a really quiet natural area, you feel assaulted with noise. People who want to live in nature really like quiet.
This very loud and disruptive jet noise did not begin until early last spring i believe .... lost track of time a bit.
One Sunday last summer i was out all day. Although i hear them when inside as i live in a trailer. I counted 120 loud jets.
They wake me up. Sometimes they fly over after 11:00 and even midnight. And early in the morning. It's a drag. Especially if you don't have real walls to block out some of the noise.
Previous to the change, i'd hear a few (at most) a day that were loud enough to get my notice. And a couple times a day there would be a really loud "powering down"? sound when, i assume, a jet was "putting on its brakes" on the way down into San Jose (i assume). A very cool otherworldly kinda alien sound but it was only 2 maybe 3 times a day. This is different. This is constant and very loud jet noise. This is jet noise that if i'm outside talking with my friend, sometimes we have to halt the conversation. And i'm not even experiencing the worst of it.
I can't say that i've gotten used to it but i've accepted it. It's one of those things that is so bad that if i didn't accept it i would go insane with anger. So i let it go. But i sure wouldn't buy a home in the county if i weren't darn certain that the paths wouldn't change again. I like quiet. Peace.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:10 PM

215 posts, read 569,432 times
I grew up and lived until 2007, 45 minutes from London's Heathrow Airport. We could almost see the passengers waving at us from the Jumbo Jets. Even Concord used to fly out from there, the house would shake...!!
After living in the Himalayas, then moving back to London, I couldn't get used to the planes.
So, I will indeed look carefully at this!
Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM

Good.
Yes, Once you get used to silence (or relative silence although i imagine the Himalaya's must have been supremely silent!) it's difficult to be assaulted with noise.

GORDON HEMPTON —
The Last Quiet Places: Silence and the Presence of Everything
Gordon Hempton <<<

Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 31,445 times
Default Big Sur

I wanted to concur with something blueskywalker has mentioned a couple of times, which is that Big Sur is an *incredibly* beautiful and special place. Sometimes I talk with people in Santa Cruz who have never been there. They are missing out!

If you haven't spent time there yet, be sure to take your family when you move to Santa Cruz. Lodging can be expensive, but it's also a doable day trip. When we go, we usually camp at Fernwood or, farther down the road, Limekiln. I wish everyone could experience Big Sur!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr831 View Post
I wanted to concur with something blueskywalker has mentioned a couple of times, which is that Big Sur is an *incredibly* beautiful and special place. Sometimes I talk with people in Santa Cruz who have never been there. They are missing out!

If you haven't spent time there yet, be sure to take your family when you move to Santa Cruz. Lodging can be expensive, but it's also a doable day trip. When we go, we usually camp at Fernwood or, farther down the road, Limekiln. I wish everyone could experience Big Sur!
It's so magical. I love Big Sur. I'd love to live in Big Sur.
I can visit for the day and the energy of it stays with me for a long time after. I can tune into Big Sur and feel it now. It gets under you "psychic skin" and into you heart.
I haven't stayed at the Big Sur River Inn but i think it's somewhat reasonably priced.
I stayed at what is now called Treebones resort which was wild. This was years ago and it was under a different name and probably management. I've stayed at a few places in Big Sur over the years although i usually just go down for the day ... it's an easy day trip from S.C..

Big Sur Lodging Guide, Big Sur California

Old 03-21-2016, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,739 times
Quoting blueskywalker: "It's so magical. I love Big Sur. I'd love to live in Big Sur.I can visit for the day and the energy of it stays with me for a long time after. I can tune into Big Sur and feel it now. It gets under your "psychic skin" and into your heart."

Blueskywalker, I couldn't agree more about Big Sur's power, at the risk of sounding "Santa Cruzy" and also going off topic from the original post.

I am curious if there is anywhere else that you feel has a similar vibe? The only other place for me is Yosemite.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2tcalifornia View Post
Quoting blueskywalker: "It's so magical. I love Big Sur. I'd love to live in Big Sur.I can visit for the day and the energy of it stays with me for a long time after. I can tune into Big Sur and feel it now. It gets under your "psychic skin" and into your heart."

Blueskywalker, I couldn't agree more about Big Sur's power, at the risk of sounding "Santa Cruzy" and also going off topic from the original post.

I am curious if there is anywhere else that you feel has a similar vibe? The only other place for me is Yosemite.
Not similar .... equally as powerful but a different spectrum and different vibration.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:18 PM

215 posts, read 569,432 times
I have indeed visited Big Sur, as a child then twice as an adult. We camped in a rented RV, which limited where we could go, not having an actual car. Then last June we drove all the way down through Big Sur to SLO. Yet to actually hike there. We did visit an extremely windy but beautiful beach there!
Hoping to revisit end of May

Old 03-23-2016, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,739 times
Jukes, I wanted to add one more thought. You originally asked for an "honest realtor." My thought on that is, since you are internet savvy, likely to have no problem financing a property (if it is all or mostly cash), and the inventory is so low (meaning you can find out everything that's available pretty easily), you would just be throwing money away by entering a standard contract with an agent. When you're talking $1M or so for a property, the agents' commission are significant money. Your mom's uber could be paid for in perpetuity with that money!

Yes, agents can tell you about properties that haven't been listed yet, but that's about it, in my opinion.

Once you narrow down your neighborhoods, I would put a post on craigslist, buyer to prospective seller, and see if you get any bites.

Real estate agents love to say that the buyer doesn't pay commission, but, obviously, the commission is built into the price of the property, which the buyer is paying. It is my opinion that the whole real estate agent industry is pretty much a scam. And, speaking personally, the ones we have dealt with out of necessity through Coldwell Banker are pleasant but woefully uniformed and mostly interested in getting the sale done, unsurprisingly.

On a practical note, you can use Nolo Press books to review the legalities/contracts and hire an attorney to review the contract. We have done this on 5 houses in California, buying and selling, over the last 20 years. It isn't worth the time and energy in states where the real estate prices are low, but the commission in California are so ridiculous due to the high home prices that it irks me just thinking about paying agents.

I won't even get into the timing of buying right now in Santa Cruz, when prices appear to be back in a bubble - that's a whole different topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County