Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 PM

16 posts, read 42,182 times

Advertisements

My post was not made up. As was pointed out the assault on my daughter did happen in Mason Town/Point Marion not Morgantown. However, Morgantown is not an island. Sometimes you may want to go outside of Morgantown, ex. lunch at Apple Annies where we were harrassed. The assault on my daughter started out as a girl being jealous of her and quickly turned into a racial thing. I would invite other people of color to share their experiences. My husband had problems at work in Morgantown with educated coworkers. I'm sorry to be bringing this up. I just felt that a woman moving here may want to know that there could be some serious problems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carefulone View Post
My post was not made up. As was pointed out the assault on my daughter did happen in Mason Town/Point Marion not Morgantown. However, Morgantown is not an island. Sometimes you may want to go outside of Morgantown, ex. lunch at Apple Annies where we were harrassed. The assault on my daughter started out as a girl being jealous of her and quickly turned into a racial thing. I would invite other people of color to share their experiences. My husband had problems at work in Morgantown with educated coworkers. I'm sorry to be bringing this up. I just felt that a woman moving here may want to know that there could be some serious problems.
This coming from someone with 2 post and no established credibility.

You strike me more as a troll. Do you have any proof at all? If not you are just a member with 2 posts making dubious claims about unsubstantiated events.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
I have spent years here and never seen one racial incident. Now, we have tens of thousands of people here. They happen to be what ever race they happen to be. We have a very highly educated citizenry, but do we also have a few idiots? Of course we do. They are to be found anywhere, and they can be from any race of people. For all I know, you are one of them?
I'm not saying you are one, but might you have instigated something? We will never know, but you haven't established any credibility so I'm going with my own personal experiences.

I lived in the NYC area for many years. We have fewer racial problems here than they do there, and far fewer than they have in either Harlem or Brooklyn.
While in NYC, and totally without provocation, I have been called "cracker", "Chuck" at work, and had various racial mouthings directed toward me (I happened to have worked in a place that had more blacks than whites working there). Bigotry and prujudice also do not have color barriers. They are at least as prevalent among one race as they are the other. We have very little of that in Morgantown.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM

31,013 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Like said above: "Link to Article"

Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
I think this 'race baiting post was made up too...sounds to strange and against the norm for our area.

and Point Marion???....with a history/legacy into the past as being a main depot for the underground railroad into Canada...

This all sounds fishy to me.
Perhaps the police reports/records could be cited on this blog.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM

Reminds me of when I was in New York, Al Sharpton was prominently featured on a local radio station that specialized in race baiting. When there were no racial incidents, you could always count on Al to try to dig one up. Why? Because he had to have race problems in order to maintain a constituency. No race problems? No need for Al. At least once he found somebody to manufacture one for him, with the result that some poor guy was unfairly accused of rape and his career ruined.

We have excellent race relations in this area.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,513 times
Well, she does mention Apple Annies by name, which is only the sort of place someone familiar with the area would know. I do warn people when they venture to Pennsyltucky to be careful though..

Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 PM

16 posts, read 42,182 times
This is the first time I have ever posted on any blog so I guess that means I have no credibility with some folks. It is hard for me to understand some of your reactions but maybe you have learned to be skeptical for good reasons. There is no newspaper article as we have not had any success with the local police pursuing this as a hate crime. They have charged the people involved with simple assault and harrassment. We are waiting to see how this turns out in court to decide if we are going to take any further action. I could share other experiences but really wouldn't that seem like I was trying to "pile it on'. There is racism here in Morgantown, overt and covert.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Quote:
This is the first time I have ever posted on any blog so I guess that means I have no credibility with some folks. It is hard for me to understand some of your reactions but maybe you have learned to be skeptical for good reasons. There is no newspaper article as we have not had any success with the local police pursuing this as a hate crime. They have charged the people involved with simple assault and harrassment. We are waiting to see how this turns out in court to decide if we are going to take any further action. I could share other experiences but really wouldn't that seem like I was trying to "pile it on'. There is racism here in Morgantown, overt and covert.
Because nobody heard of your incident and you have no proof. Im not sure what happened, but if someone yelled racial slurs at you it sounds like harassment and assault were the proper charges. If they are being charged it should be in the newspaper, if only mentioned briefly.

Of course there is overt, and covert, racism in Morgantown. Unfortunately it exists everywhere, and not just against black people. Pretty much anywhere anyone can go there will be people that will find some stupid reason to hate them.

Finally Apple Annies is not in Morgantown. It is not even in WV. It really is not fair to use an event that happened in rural PA as an example of racism in Morgantown.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Well, she does mention Apple Annies by name, which is only the sort of place someone familiar with the area would know. I do warn people when they venture to Pennsyltucky to be careful though..
I've been in Apple Annies, and didn't see any trouble there either. In fact, the owner was gracious and welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown