Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:52 AM

423 posts, read 1,236,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7984 View Post
I am a 27 year old black woman moving from DC to Morgantown for work.
Making a move from DC (or NOVA, in my case) to Morgantown sounds like a good opportunity to me. Especially since you're doing it for employment reasons! I envy you. Good luck with this move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 PM

16 posts, read 42,177 times
I also find the owners of Apple Annies gracious and welcoming. I said we were harrassed by other patrons. Point Marion is just a short drive from here. As I mentioned before Morgantown is not all by itself in the world. I have been accused of lying by several people on this blog. Cry Havoc is especially snarky. Maybe the incedent was listed in a newspaper, I haven't looked for it. It happened on Dec 19th if anyone wants to try to find it. Really my only purpose was to give a young woman the heads up that I wish someone had given my family. Comparing this small college town to NYC is ridiculous. I am aware that racism is anywhere and directed at anyone, however, I haven't noticed it being directed at me, unless my husband and daughter are with me. Honestly I found the comment about Al Sharpton to be baiting...Do we want to go in that direction? Rev Sharpton has said that he didn't know that the woman was lying. I guess you are calling him a liar too. Apparently he is so self serving that he will destroy a stranger for attention. I don't think so. Thank you GustavoFring for not calling me a liar or accusing me of race baiting.

PS I heard from a guy who heard from another guy that if you want to drive in Mogantown between 3 and 6 you may encounter heavy traffic

Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carefulone View Post
I also find the owners of Apple Annies gracious and welcoming. I said we were harrassed by other patrons. Point Marion is just a short drive from here. As I mentioned before Morgantown is not all by itself in the world. I have been accused of lying by several people on this blog. Cry Havoc is especially snarky. Maybe the incedent was listed in a newspaper, I haven't looked for it. It happened on Dec 19th if anyone wants to try to find it. Really my only purpose was to give a young woman the heads up that I wish someone had given my family. Comparing this small college town to NYC is ridiculous. I am aware that racism is anywhere and directed at anyone, however, I haven't noticed it being directed at me, unless my husband and daughter are with me. Honestly I found the comment about Al Sharpton to be baiting...Do we want to go in that direction? Rev Sharpton has said that he didn't know that the woman was lying. I guess you are calling him a liar too. Apparently he is so self serving that he will destroy a stranger for attention. I don't think so. Thank you GustavoFring for not calling me a liar or accusing me of race baiting.

PS I heard from a guy who heard from another guy that if you want to drive in Mogantown between 3 and 6 you may encounter heavy traffic
First off Al Sharpton is the very definition of race baiting. He will make a big issue out of an unsubstantiated claim, without proof, and disappear when it becomes apparent that there is no substance to it. However, this topic is irrelevant to the topic.

Whenever you issue a police report they give you a ticket with a case number. You could easily blank out your personal information and show the ticket. You have no post on this forum and your first few posts are dubious claims. You wonder why you have no credibility. It is not my responsibility to look up an alleged claim to try and prove it exist, it is yours.

I find it hard to believe that you never experienced racism in NYC, but are generalizing Morgantown based off some incident in some rural town in PA close to Morgantown. The whole situation is dubious.

Also, I am extremely snarky, but in your case I am not being snarky. I am merely pointing out the obvious, and in your case I call trolling. If your case is true I am sorry that you experienced some jerk in PA, but it is hardly fair to categorize Morgantown based off some incident that didnt happen in Morgantown in an alleged incident involving a few people in a metro area of over a 100000 people.

I agree with you. Get enough people and you will get jerks. It applies to NY as much as WV, as much as Mississippi as much as anywhere in the world. If the OP is worried about some ******* hating them they need to avoid people altogether.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
One other thing about this region is it's history of ethnic mixing...
The Italians, Chechs, Poles, Irish, ect came into this area in the 1900's from Europe. Negro's were brought up from the south from the cotton fields to work in the mines.
They assimilated into a beautiful people with everyone giving their best gifts...music and dance, foods, work ethics, religions.
We enjoy those gifts.
Now, we are seeing the asians and mexicans...they too are bringing their gifts to this wonderful state.

The ignorant will always cause hate and they will always be here in some capacity.

It's up to us to have a broader perspective and give thanks for living in a land where opportunity can be enjoyed by those who empower themselves with the will to succeed and then do simply that.

Our past experiences are just that...they can't be changed.
What we can do, is use them constructively in a positive manner to help our future unfold in the best manner possible.

Can you do that?
Dwelling on this negative experience is keeping you in the 'down mode. Are you able to escape?
How about writing everything about this experience in a long letter and then throwing it in the trash. Put it in the past completely.

Attitude is the first principle of how we guide ourselves.
Every morning we are given a new day to live. It is our choice as to how we will fill that time.

It is much more enjoyable to be happy than sad. That reminds me of a little song...ha ha ha

Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Ah, CryHavoc you misread my post again... I said that it is ridiculous to compare Morgantown and NYC (CTMountainier did that), not that I hadn't experienced racism there. You say it is not your responsibility to prove my information however you seem to feel it is your responsibility to prove me a liar. The troopers met us at the ER and never gave us anything. We have contacted them several times and they said she didn't need to sign anything. We drove to their headquarters and were told that we would have to subpoena any paperwork from their office. I do have a court date paper that was sent to us for one of the defendants and will try to scan it in so you will have proof. I am technology challenged so it may need to wait for my husband to get home. Also I responded to comments about Rev Sharpton (CTMountainier again) and I agree that it isn't relevant here. My family has experienced many, many incidents of racism in Morgantown. Instead of demonizing me you could have discussed this issue. You have chosen to be petty and mean. I am done responding to your posts as your comments are simply inflammatory and negative- Exactly what you accuse me of being.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank you David Kennedy! I agree with you completely on how to react to the experiences we have had here. For the most part I am able to do this, need to work on it some more because of the horrible memory of what happened that night. We will leave here and we will have some negative memories of our time here. We also have many good memories and will leave behind good friends (of course not entirely because of the internet). We have added pets to our family that we rescued here. This is a beautiful state and I will focus on my memories of my garden and all of the gorgeous flowers and trees. So many birds at my feeders. Coopers Rock is another favorite. I could go on and on...

Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
CAREFULONE:

A great Marine mentor of mine years ago (by the name of Col. John Juresivich) put his hand on my shoulder and said this...'friends help...they share the pain."
He got me through a very tough time. He also gave me a gift with those few little words.

Our great wealth is not measured by money and stuff...it's measured, in part, by the incredible people who add to us...their persona and love grants power to the karma that surrounds us.

...these are very turbulent times and the power of any peace must come from within us.

Sorry you are leaving our community...

Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carefulone View Post

I can't find any evidence that anybody here said you were lying. The comments, including mine, said you had few interactions here and thus have not established credibility to make such a negative comment about our town. It flies in the face of my extensive experience here. Does that mean it didn't take place? No, and nobody said that. It could have happened here. It could have happened anywhere. It is regretable that such a thing happened in Point Marion which, from my experience, is populated by nice hard working people. Might it have been people from out of town or out of the area who did that?

I have EXTENSIVE experience with NYC. I lived and worked in that area for many years. In fact, I am a retiree there. I personally witnessed a lot of racism there on the part of both blacks and whites. In that area, it is just as common or maybe even more so among blacks than it is among whites. And, the blacks who are racist seem to feel entitled to be that way and immune to consequences. Like you though, I had many good experiences in the NYC area and will not let a few bad apples spoil my impressions of the place.

As to Rev. Al, please. Have you ever listened to his morning radio shows? He is a race baiter from the get go. That is how he maintains his constituency. He said he didn't know Brawley was lying? Really? He accepted what she said without verification and in the process ruined the career of a nice young man. He never even had the class to apologize. Al would be a reprobate if he were white and did that. He is a reprobate as a black doing that too.

We have a terrific town here. In fact, many former New Yorkers have chosen to live here so I know I am not alone in that opinion. There are tens of thousands of people here. Included in that bunch are some nut cases, and some racist @ssholes. Some of them are white, and some of them are black. Most folks here are delightful. Before you leave, why don't you take the time to spend some time where you intend to go. Likely you will find that place has its fair share of buttheads too.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
One other thing about this region is it's history of ethnic mixing...
The Italians, Chechs, Poles, Irish, ect came into this area in the 1900's from Europe. Negro's were brought up from the south from the cotton fields to work in the mines.
They assimilated into a beautiful people with everyone giving their best gifts...music and dance, foods, work ethics, religions.
We enjoy those gifts.
Now, we are seeing the asians and mexicans...they too are bringing their gifts to this wonderful state.

The ignorant will always cause hate and they will always be here in some capacity.

It's up to us to have a broader perspective and give thanks for living in a land where opportunity can be enjoyed by those who empower themselves with the will to succeed and then do simply that.

Our past experiences are just that...they can't be changed.
What we can do, is use them constructively in a positive manner to help our future unfold in the best manner possible.

Can you do that?
Dwelling on this negative experience is keeping you in the 'down mode. Are you able to escape?
How about writing everything about this experience in a long letter and then throwing it in the trash. Put it in the past completely.

Attitude is the first principle of how we guide ourselves.
Every morning we are given a new day to live. It is our choice as to how we will fill that time.

It is much more enjoyable to be happy than sad. That reminds me of a little song...ha ha ha
I agree with most of what you said, David. I also agree that newcomers the Mexicans and orientals have gifts to bring too. I would add, though, that just like every other country, we have our own culture and way of life that is unique and worth protecting. Ours is a fusion of many others, but that fusion has its own distinct character and makes us an exceptional place.

No country can take on too much immigration at any one time. We are no exception. When that happens, the inevitable result is culture conflict, divisiveness, and strife. We can't take people quicker than they can reasonably be assimilated. The people who have come in uninvited need to go back from whence they came and take a number, and get in line like everyone else. Anything else is not fair to those who play by the rules, and is not fair to the American worker or the American taxpayer. People who come here should do so with an eye toward assimilation, as did our ancestors. The notion of setting up permanent enclaves and expecting special treatment is harmful to everyone.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 AM

The following are examples from posts of the times I was called a liar. Just because none of you used the word liar doesn't mean that you weren't saying I was lying.

To be honest, that story seems a little farfetched--especially for this area.
I don't buy that either, seems to be fabricated.
At the same time note that this person has only had 10 posts. I'd say that post is highly suspect
You also might want to ignore it. I think the story is far fetched. That writer is not known on this forum,
I would not let one sketchy, unverified, story given to you by a stranger
This coming from someone with 2 post and no established credibility.
You strike me more as a troll. Do you have any proof at all? If not you are just a member with 2 posts making dubious claims about unsubstantiated events.
Because nobody heard of your incident and you have no proof. Im not sure what happened
your case I call trolling

Thank you for finally saying that I may be telling the truth. Of course that never would have happened if I hadn't persisted. This incident doesn't make Morgantown all bad. As you pointed out every place may have it's share of jerks. Could you consider the possibility that you haven't seen racism here because you are white and may I guess over 40? My daughter has been dealing with it here since she was 16. The younger people have different experiences than those of us who are a bit older, perhaps? At the risk of piling it on I would like to leave you with this example of an interaction that I had. I work out at a local indoor pool and had been going faithfully for many months at about the same time everyday. I formed a friendship with a group of white women, I called us the pool ladies. This changed the moment that my husband came in to pick me up one day. Most of the women became uncomfortable and started avoiding me after that. Not a big deal right? Sucks though... I could give you many examples of this kind of thing. I also can give many examples of far worse racist things that have happened to my family and other families living in Morgantown and the surrounding areas. This would be nonproductive though. As David Kennedy pointed out we all need to move on. Maybe it is more difficult for some folks to move on than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown