Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 07:38 AM

491 posts, read 609,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaerial View Post
Try traveling on US19 between Morgantown and Mount Morris, PA. There are some very deep potholes that will annihilate suspensions and wheels at US highway speeds. Luckily I have their locations embedded in my brain. But people that do not travel that stretch every day are in for a rude awaking. Especially on the portion closer to PA.

The sad part is that on Monday I drove from Elkins to Lewisburg on US250/219 which is over a 100 mile stretch and didn't see a single pot hole. The entire road was immaculate. Just more proof that the northern part of WV is getting screwed.
Housing developments, natural gas, and windmill traffic have decimated the western Mon county roads. They were already in poor shape before all the cars and heavy machinery appeared. I guess the State thinks people will just use I79 to go to Mt Morris instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,258,336 times
Quote:
Try traveling on US19 between Morgantown and Mount Morris, PA. There are some very deep potholes that will annihilate suspensions and wheels at US highway speeds. Luckily I have their locations embedded in my brain. But people that do not travel that stretch every day are in for a rude awaking. Especially on the portion closer to PA.

The sad part is that on Monday I drove from Elkins to Lewisburg on US250/219 which is over a 100 mile stretch and didn't see a single pot hole. The entire road was immaculate. Just more proof that the northern part of WV is getting screwed.
The last time I traveled that stretch of 857 to 68 and 705 into Morgantown (the other day), I made a point to make sure exactly where the enormous but not-so-noticeable pothole is so I can avoid smashing my car over it. And from 68 to 705 entering Morgantown is full of jumpy, bumpy car-cringing ridges. The question is: why? What's happening to taxpayers' dollars? I think I will call the WV DOT to see if they have any idea when and if they are going to do something. It's pathetic. i should take a photo if I can of the pothole and see how I can sue for car damage.
Last year I noticed the teachers went on strike,asking for higher wages. Yet they didn't mind setting a very poor example by waving signs, blowing horns on the side of the road, attracting attention from drivers to support their cause? I guess they didn't mind the possibility of causing an accident while drivers turned to see what the commotion was all about? That's an example of proper conduct? Well maybe -- considering the commotion and lack of consideration by college students there during "games" and otherwise. Yeah, well, I should just stick to the potholes.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:10 AM

219 posts, read 247,541 times
I think I'm going to start taking fluorescent marking paint and highlighting all of these car crusher pot holes. Although that would require a significant investment on my part in both time and money.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:37 AM

113 posts, read 147,888 times
Quote:
I think I'm going to start taking fluorescent marking paint and highlighting all of these car crusher pot holes. Although that would require a significant investment on my part in both time and money.
you could outline them with something profane. It would force the hand of the government to address them.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:37 PM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1WVU View Post
you could outline them with something profane. It would force the hand of the government to address them.
Writing "FIX ME" on Valley View Ave and circling the pot holes worked a few years back.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:27 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Anyone see the drainage grate sinkhole in front of Lowe’s by the mall? Someone spray painted it and wrote something along the lines of “12 year hole of shame”

Old 07-02-2019, 03:59 PM

83 posts, read 100,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1WVU View Post
You could write "This could be fixed if Justice paid his taxes!!"

Old 07-06-2019, 02:08 PM

202 posts, read 218,202 times
Are the repairs to the concrete joints on 705 permanent? Some are ok but some are mini speed bumps. How is that decades ago they were able to poor sections of concrete that were level with each other but they can't do it now? Across from Applebee's is really bad. They did an ok job on the sidewalks but the concrete repairs aren't very good. Other than that they only resurfaced the section of road that wasn't that bad. What a joke.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:01 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Are the repairs to the concrete joints on 705 permanent? Some are ok but some are mini speed bumps. How is that decades ago they were able to poor sections of concrete that were level with each other but they can't do it now? Across from Applebee's is really bad. They did an ok job on the sidewalks but the concrete repairs aren't very good. Other than that they only resurfaced the section of road that wasn't that bad. What a joke.
I believe the plan is to come back through when done and grind the entire road down slightly and then pave it.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:48 PM

202 posts, read 218,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I believe the plan is to come back through when done and grind the entire road down slightly and then pave it.
Do you have a reference for that? Just asking because I think I remember the engineer that retired saying that was the original plan, to grind it down and resurface, but because of budget they were just fixing the joints. If this is the "fix" then we are getting screwed once again.

Just like the interstate leaving town on 79 has seen some shoddy work. Already fixing potholes and replacing entire sections of road (which are paved even worse, they are like launching pads)

Why are these contractors even allowed to have these projects if they can't do a decent job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown