Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 04:51 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Do you have a reference for that? Just asking because I think I remember the engineer that retired saying that was the original plan, to grind it down and resurface, but because of budget they were just fixing the joints. If this is the "fix" then we are getting screwed once again.

Just like the interstate leaving town on 79 has seen some shoddy work. Already fixing potholes and replacing entire sections of road (which are paved even worse, they are like launching pads)

Why are these contractors even allowed to have these projects if they can't do a decent job?
Nothing recent unfortunately, I haven't heard anything in a while. I thought the original original plan was to tear out the concrete completely and replace it with new concrete. Is it really a shock that the state keeps going cheaper and cheaper on vital road work in this area?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 06:15 AM

491 posts, read 610,344 times
So I take it the resurfacing of Patteson, Van Voorhis, and Chestnut Ridge isn't going according to plan?

Old 07-09-2019, 01:12 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
So I take it the resurfacing of Patteson, Van Voorhis, and Chestnut Ridge isn't going according to plan?
They are doing their usual cheap materials, poor quality workmanship temporary fixes. Instead of replacing concrete slabs, they are putting in shallow veneer patches using poorly mixed concrete. That is the most heavily travelled state numbered road in the state. That crap will be breaking out of there within a couple years.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They are doing their usual cheap materials, poor quality workmanship temporary fixes. Instead of replacing concrete slabs, they are putting in shallow veneer patches using poorly mixed concrete. That is the most heavily travelled state numbered road in the state. That crap will be breaking out of there within a couple years.
I should've known not to believe the press releases. The State was going to tear it all out and pave it but I guess that was all lies.

That is, unless they plan on paving over the concrete. Even with scratching the surface and using good tack, the asphalt won't hold more than 2-3 years on concrete. Plows, etc will peel it up.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:06 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Are the repairs to the concrete joints on 705 permanent? Some are ok but some are mini speed bumps. How is that decades ago they were able to poor sections of concrete that were level with each other but they can't do it now? Across from Applebee's is really bad. They did an ok job on the sidewalks but the concrete repairs aren't very good. Other than that they only resurfaced the section of road that wasn't that bad. What a joke.
The "sidewalks" they install are barely wide enough for 2 people to squeeze past each other, and they are still not providing proper lighting on the state's busiest urban roadways. An engineer in charge of such an operation should be embarrassed to be part of it, but since Alfred E. Newman retired from Mad Magazine and went to work for the state DoH these things have become the norm for northern state roads.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The "sidewalks" they install are barely wide enough for 2 people to squeeze past each other, and they are still not providing proper lighting on the state's busiest urban roadways. An engineer in charge of such an operation should be embarrassed to be part of it, but since Alfred E. Newman retired from Mad Magazine and went to work for the state DoH these things have become the norm for northern state roads.
Maybe it's designed using California sized sidewalks.. we're big people here.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:26 AM

456 posts, read 602,793 times
The ADA requires a minimum of 4 feet sidewalks now and in the case of where this road is located I believe for disabilities it would require 6 feet wide sidewalks. You would think Morgantown would have spoke to them and required a bike lane and proper lighting. West Virginia does nothing right. Our entire state road department needs revamped from top to bottom. I still have seen little work from the road bond anywhere in the state.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
The ADA requires a minimum of 4 feet sidewalks now and in the case of where this road is located I believe for disabilities it would require 6 feet wide sidewalks. You would think Morgantown would have spoke to them and required a bike lane and proper lighting. West Virginia does nothing right. Our entire state road department needs revamped from top to bottom. I still have seen little work from the road bond anywhere in the state.
You couldn't pay me to use a bike lane in Morgantown. Accident waiting to happen either by falling into a crater sized pothole or run over by some New Jersey student thinking they're on the turnpike.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM

145 posts, read 209,828 times
By far the worst roads and infrastructure in any place I've ever lived, from Georgia to DC, from NC to CA, from TX to MT. I love the joke of a "bike friendly city" sign on Van Voorhis Rd right next to a severe drop off and pothole that's been there for years.

I rode bikes for 10 years in Washington DC, through traffic, to and from work, long before they had designated bike lanes.

I didn't ride one single day in Morgantown.

The sidewalks, if there were any, were useless, more often than not they had a pole in the middle of them or went no where or crumbled to pieces.

It just a joke. They should simply let them all revert to gravel and dirt, at least then there's no expectation that they'd be useable.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 PM

250 posts, read 331,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVespa View Post

It just a joke. They should simply let them all revert to gravel and dirt, at least then there's no expectation that they'd be useable.
I’d argue that they might be more useable then. Just sayin’.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown