Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 10:22 AM

891 posts, read 1,054,493 times

Advertisements

so stupid that they wait til students are back to do things like this, but Im just glad its finally gonna get done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Apparently, after lollygagging for months, the State DoH is finally going to get started on the Easton Hill project.

TheDPost.com - Work to begin soon on Easton Hill
Do you or anyone know if the DOH is saying the delay is due to the WV flooding?

They didn't start the majority of the paving last year (no major flooding) until late Sept - Nov. Greenbag Road wasn't done until late Oct or a bit later. My own road (over 1K traffic a day so very busy) wasn't even "patched" until the weekend before Thanksgiving right when the asphalt plants closed. I had to call DOH Clarksburg in Nov and remind the supervisor it was promised by the end of the year!

Many of the roads in Mon Co listed in a previous post above have not been done. Ex.; River Road (which is terrible) was supposed to be done April -June 2016 based on a March Dom Post article. In fact a post above states this:

We will start the 2016 paving season with the following projects
Route 45 River Road 7.65-9.16 resurfacing $200,000
WV 7 Mason Dixon 2.60-4.69 resurfacing $222,000
Route 73 Smithtown 4.3-5.96 resurfacing $146,500
Route 41 Indian Creek 3.57-4.99 resurfacing $104,000
Route 15 Klondike 0.00-2.40 resurfacing $174,000

Last edited by motownnative; 09-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 09-04-2016, 12:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Do you or anyone know if the DOH is saying the delay is due to the WV flooding?

They didn't start the majority of the paving last year (no major flooding) until late Sept - Nov. Greenbag Road wasn't done until late Oct or a bit later. My own road (over 1K traffic a day so very busy) wasn't even "patched" until the weekend before Thanksgiving right when the asphalt plants closed. I had to call DOH Clarksburg in Nov and remind the supervisor it was promised by the end of the year!

Many of the roads in Mon Co listed in a previous post above have not been done. Ex.; River Road (which is terrible) was supposed to be done April -June 2016 based on a March Dom Post article. In fact a post above states this:

We will start the 2016 paving season with the following projects
Route 45 River Road 7.65-9.16 resurfacing $200,000
WV 7 Mason Dixon 2.60-4.69 resurfacing $222,000
Route 73 Smithtown 4.3-5.96 resurfacing $146,500
Route 41 Indian Creek 3.57-4.99 resurfacing $104,000
Route 15 Klondike 0.00-2.40 resurfacing $174,000
They do such a poor job at resurfacing that it seldom lasts beyond 2 or 3 years when they do it. There are different grades of asphalt, and DoH always uses the cheapest high aggregate blend and they have it applied at about 1/2 what is the recommended thickness. Earl L. Core Road was "repaved" last year, and instead of putting on at least 1 1/2 inches as is customary they applied less than an inch. Parts of it are already peeling off.

I agree with Matt ... at least they are doing something and that is better than nothing, but our state DoH is not a quality operation.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They do such a poor job at resurfacing that it seldom lasts beyond 2 or 3 years when they do it. There are different grades of asphalt, and DoH always uses the cheapest high aggregate blend and they have it applied at about 1/2 what is the recommended thickness. Earl L. Core Road was "repaved" last year, and instead of putting on at least 1 1/2 inches as is customary they applied less than an inch. Parts of it are already peeling off.

I agree with Matt ... at least they are doing something and that is better than nothing, but our state DoH is not a quality operation.
True. Greenbag Rd which was also paved last year has a hole developing (before the two churches) headed toward Sabraton. It's in the middle where the center lines are fortunately, but how long before it spreads and is a potholed mess?

Someone I know busted a strut and spring on Greenbag costing almost $1K to replace before they paved. I have STILL not recovered myself from damages from last year, luckily I put the minimum on credit cards but at 22% int. - that hurts! There is NO excuse for this. It's just poor quality asphalt as you stated that is not even at the correct thickness.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:01 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,229,546 times
Another huge problem beyond terrible asphalt, is the fact that drainage on most roads is terrible at best and in a lot of places non existent. Which leads to damage to the pavement and the subsurface/base. Another huge problem is the subsurface/base of the roads were never built correctly and instead of replacing them when working on a road they just shove more pavement on an already damaged base that is only going to get worse.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Another huge problem beyond terrible asphalt, is the fact that drainage on most roads is terrible at best and in a lot of places non existent. Which leads to damage to the pavement and the subsurface/base. Another huge problem is the subsurface/base of the roads were never built correctly and instead of replacing them when working on a road they just shove more pavement on an already damaged base that is only going to get worse.
Absolutely right. I am driving over "sunken" road beds everywhere. The Grafton Road disaster where the road collapsed that I mentioned on another thread- which is still not fixed - is where many of these roads are headed.

You perfectly described why I get so angry about this road situation; when they actually "do something" all that invariably happens is manpower and materials are used to just "shove more pavement" over a problem. Even if a person is poor they would have enough sense not to fix the foundation of their home that way.

I don't know if many posting here have been around long enough to remember our previous DOH Commissioner, but it seems we didn't have this level of problems when Fred Van Kirk was in charge.

Last edited by motownnative; 09-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Default Work Beginning on Maple Drive Improvements

Construction work is starting on the major improvements to Maple Drive parallel to 705. Like just about everything else that happens around here, this is being done with locally generated funds.

Maple Drive expansion project begins

Old 09-30-2016, 07:36 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,229,546 times
About time!

Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 PM

203 posts, read 153,417 times
I really feel for the residents of those two little houses behind Oasis Cafe. Why weren't they bought out?
What's that tiny parking lot for? That's not enough space for those working at the new Mon building...
Seems it would have been better to buy out remaining residents and really widen the street.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 AM

83 posts, read 100,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
I really feel for the residents of those two little houses behind Oasis Cafe. Why weren't they bought out?

Maybe because they wouldn't sell. Once the other businesses open I imagine that their property values will increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown