Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 04:27 PM

124 posts, read 151,501 times

Advertisements

Great news, but you know there will be several years of delays as the lawsuits will pile up from the usual suspects Giulllini, et, al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Possible big news coming.

Tom bloom just let the cat out of the bag that some big development will be coming to the south end of High Street.

From what I have heard from other people in the know and that I can say, it will not be housing, mainly retail and other mixed uses (couldn't get a straight answer on whether a hotel, movie theatre, grocery store and restaurants could be involved or not). It is being described as a major development that will majorly change that area (court house down to post office area, not exactly sure what properties are involved) and multiple new buildings will be built as part of this plan. We should know within next 90 or so days whether everything is in place and moving ahead as planned. It is being built by a developer with a good track record supposedly in doing developments like this. The people I talked to could not emphasize enough about how this project could be huge for downtown. (I do not believe it involves the gravel lot next to sheetz)

So in addition to this potential project we have WVU's new emphasis on the river front with their already announced B&E facility with possible other facilities coming, rumors of WVU wanting to do something with the site where the Standard was supposed to go (still a shame it did not go through), the CA Ventures VFW facility (hopefully gets under way soon), the new 55+ community building at the Seneca center, the new mixed housing and retail supposedly going near the power plant with a possible Target Express going in, something possibly going in or around Arnold hall (depends on what they do with that area), WVU saying their construction focus will be focused on the downtown campus now that Evansdale campus is pretty much done, courthouse renovations (to be completed by November apparently) and that company looking to build a white water rafting course by the dam near the Waterfront. Lot's of possible/planned projects going on in downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 04:35 PM

56 posts, read 70,483 times
I agree with Murph3000, Tom Bloom does not have the greatest track record, so I would hold my breath either. What about the big time company that was to come into the TIF district, with lots of jobs. Not a word about that and it has been probably 18 months or so since he first leaked it....Downtown, I love the idea of adding something to the south end of High Street. That's great but the more significant challenge imo is the Bartlett House and Health Right and the people it attracts, not from Morgantown, or West Virginia but from all over the Country. People who could care less about the community, the people who harass you when you go into Sheetz, who ask you for money when you walk down the street, who make the downtown area as a whole feel unsafe. Housing on the other hand would balance that element more and make it feel more safe. Across the bridge you have Chancery Hill and South Park, people who can afford homes for 300,400,500,600k. Those residents could make such a positive impact on Downtown by spending money there but generally don't want to deal with the uncertainty of the homeless, drug addicts ect that the Bartlett House and Health Right attract. Aside from the Power Plant location, those two entities really bring down the overall downtown experience, with that being said, I know they both serve a purpose, I just wish it wasn't in my backyard.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:56 PM

456 posts, read 603,809 times
we are all impatient and things generally take awhile to get started, they said the retail would be first and it still hasn't been announced. I believe the last I heard was June for that. no company will announce till they are ready to break ground and from what I've heard and seen that will be at least a few months. the longer it takes the more likelihood that someone unsigned backs out. I believe many have already signed and eventually we will be happy with what we have. If this downtown leek comes true Morgantown will start moving quickly. Roads have to be fixed and upgraded now however they need to pay for them. downtown needs a few 4 lane arteries that reach out to the interstates or people from out side of the downtown area will never come. hopefully non student housing for twenty thirty age people and some reasonable priced elderly housing come's along with it. the previous mentioned housing is a start. parking needs to be part of the plan also. if everything mentioned comes true Morgantown will truly blossom.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,054,035 times
Morgantown has every prospect of becoming a destination city for things besides athletics. According to this tool, https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm a million and a quarter people live within a 50 mile radius of the city. Stretch that out just 10 miles more to 60 miles, and the population is 2,304,901

Old 05-04-2017, 09:43 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,230,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
I hope this is true. I mean this in the nicest way possible but I've heard **** like this before from Tom Bloom (Macy's anyone?). I hope it gets done but I won't hold my breath.
Tom mentioned it on the radio but this is coming from someone else in the county planning commission meetings and works closely with the city.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngman86 View Post
I agree with Murph3000, Tom Bloom does not have the greatest track record, so I would hold my breath either. What about the big time company that was to come into the TIF district, with lots of jobs. Not a word about that and it has been probably 18 months or so since he first leaked it....Downtown, I love the idea of adding something to the south end of High Street. That's great but the more significant challenge imo is the Bartlett House and Health Right and the people it attracts, not from Morgantown, or West Virginia but from all over the Country. People who could care less about the community, the people who harass you when you go into Sheetz, who ask you for money when you walk down the street, who make the downtown area as a whole feel unsafe. Housing on the other hand would balance that element more and make it feel more safe. Across the bridge you have Chancery Hill and South Park, people who can afford homes for 300,400,500,600k. Those residents could make such a positive impact on Downtown by spending money there but generally don't want to deal with the uncertainty of the homeless, drug addicts ect that the Bartlett House and Health Right attract. Aside from the Power Plant location, those two entities really bring down the overall downtown experience, with that being said, I know they both serve a purpose, I just wish it wasn't in my backyard.
This is true. You are correct that the majority of the homeless are not from Morgantown or even from WV but are from out of state. I grew up here and there used to be maybe a dozen or so "street people" (many had homes) around downtown and they were harmless and most people knew their names. Nothing like it is today. Once the Bartlett House opened it slowly became the mecca that it is now for homeless people and drifters from all over the east coast and even further away. I know people who have asked some of them why they come here and are told that Morgantown is known as one of the most "homeless friendly" cities in the US.

Ironically, the number of actual West Virginia residents who are homeless is dropping. Homelessness declining in West Virginia | News | timeswv.com Yet in Morgantown it is growing. It's really frustrating. As much as I have sympathy for people in a bad situation, they are being attracted here in totally disproportionate numbers to what we should have. It is unsafe and it's ruining downtown.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,054,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
If that occurs, it will only further congest downtown. The city and state need to figure something out. Also disappointed that the Wharf or that gravel lot isn't included but overall, very good news for the city.
My opinion... Downtown congestion is a good thing. It means our downtown area is being utilized. If they can figure out a way to reroute WV 7 around that area, that would make it even better. Most cities have struggling downtown areas. We are more fortunate than many in that regard. The right sort of development will have success virtually assured.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:42 PM

Possible new small shopping center being built across from the waterfront area. Being called Pinby Square.

CBRE, Inc. - Pinby Square, Strip Center, 836 University Avenue, Morgantown, WV

Also it looks like the owners of the mall are trying to/want to develop a plot or two of the grassy area in front of the mall. Glad the new owners seem at least somewhat interested in the mall getting better.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:16 PM

The Waterfront hotel officially joined the Marriott brand today as the Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place. They have spent the last year or more completely renovating the whole hotel.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Possible new small shopping center being built across from the waterfront area. Being called Pinby Square.

CBRE, Inc. - Pinby Square, Strip Center, 836 University Avenue, Morgantown, WV

Also it looks like the owners of the mall are trying to/want to develop a plot or two of the grassy area in front of the mall. Glad the new owners seem at least somewhat interested in the mall getting better.
Yes, it is nice that the mall has new owners who will hopefully prevent it from falling into disrepair.

I sure wish they had influence over the DOH though, as I went to the mall recently and was appalled at the poor patch job done off the interstate there. This is a major 4 lane road. It's in Westover's jurisdiction and though they have no control over state roads, it's so bad now, they would practically be within their rights to charge the DOH with destruction of public property. I can't believe they made it worse, but they did. It's going to cost more now to fix that shoddy work.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-19-2017 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown