Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 AM

491 posts, read 610,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Do you know who owns that road? I've always wondered if it was a city road, state road or owned by the mall. It has gotten very bad this year, it seems like the foundation of the road is giving out.
WV MetroNews – Ruling places mall in Westover city limits

Not sure if they fought this or not (old 2016 article) but apparently Westover controls the Mall area now. They better pay up and use that tax money they wanted so badly all these years before the rest of the stores leave the Mall for greener and smoother pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
WV MetroNews – Ruling places mall in Westover city limits

Not sure if they fought this or not (old 2016 article) but apparently Westover controls the Mall area now. They better pay up and use that tax money they wanted so badly all these years before the rest of the stores leave the Mall for greener and smoother pastures.
If they do own it they need to rebuild the road ASAP, especially before bigger trucks start driving on it. I wonder what will be left of the road by next spring if we have a bad winter.

I wonder if responsibility for the road is caught up in some court case like the UTC road is right now (the original section of the road), Granville is suing the developer saying it's their responsibility since they messed up the water runoff systems and the developer is saying it's Granville's.

The whole mall area needs a major revamp/overhaul and someone with deep pockets and a grand vision to come in. I don't think we will see any new traditional anchor stores come to the mall and I imagine Sears is on its way out. Maybe to fill in the three anchor stores and to drive traffic to the area they could put in a big upper scale grocery store (Kroger or Giant Eagle) or Costco/BJ's, a HomeDepot maybe, a Kohls if they are still building new stores, maybe a Franks Theatre CineBowl and Grille (http://cinebowlandgrille.com/) or similar type of place and other similar outside of the box ideas for a mall. Hopefully if/when Rural King builds their store in the old Kmart and the access to the new exit is complete, it will start breathing life into the mall area.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 08-14-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 06:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,512,011 times
Quote:
If they do own it they need to rebuild the road ASAP, especially before bigger trucks start driving on it. I wonder what will be left of the road by next spring if we have a bad winter.

I wonder if responsibility for the road is caught up in some court case like the UTC road is right now (the original section of the road), Granville is suing the developer saying it's their responsibility since they messed up the water runoff systems and the developer is saying it's Granville's.

The whole mall area needs a major revamp/overhaul and someone with deep pockets and a grand vision to come in. I don't think we will see any new traditional anchor stores come to the mall and I imagine Sears is on its way out. Maybe to fill in the three anchor stores and to drive traffic to the area they could put in a big upper scale grocery store (Kroger or Giant Eagle) or Costco/BJ's, a HomeDepot maybe, a Kohls if they are still building new stores, maybe a Franks Theatre CineBowl and Grille (Movies, Bowling, Arcade, Bar & Grille | Cinebowl & Grille) or similar type of place and other similar outside of the box ideas for a mall. Hopefully if/when Rural King builds their store in the old Kmart and the access to the new exit is complete, it will start breathing life into the mall area.
The Rural King here in Beckley opened in February and has been PACKED everytime I've driven past it. Even almost five months after its opening.

If the Morgantown store brings in the same or close to the same amount of traffic as the Beckley store I'm certain it will help.

Very nice store by the way. I'm glad they have found WV.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 AM

It is sounding like next to the Courtyard Mariott hotel there will be a bank (probably a BB&T or PNC based on their closest branches) built in the front lot next to star city furniture or somewhere else near Star City Furniture (recently completed deal possibly). The main lot (supposedly about 2 acres) that has the view of downtown is still not sold but apparently has been getting a lot of interest recently from restaurants. Also, it appears this lot is the last lot available on the UTC side, because the two lots behind Wendy's have apparently gone to contract. But there is no word on what is going on with the other half of the Panda Express lot, sure would be a great spot for Waffle House.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
A nice restaurant with an outdoor seating area with a view of the Coliseum would be great if the location allows it. I know the fire pit in back of the CY has one great view.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,710 times
We just moved back to Morgantown after 5 years in Lexington,KY and I was surprised by the lack of new businesss here. I emailed the real estate developer in charge of WV for Whole
Foods and will post his response below. Maybe if more people in the area contact him it will help. I think WF would be great here. Especially with the new lower prices and deals for Amazon Prime members.

Yes, Thanks , we have considered Morgantown , but it’s a little smaller MSA than we can typically react to as we develop new strategies for improving service to many areas were not covering , now. Thanks for the recommendation , I'll keep my thinking cap on !

Andy Hofheimer

Moderator note: Email address removed. User Direct Messages.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-17-2018 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Removed email address

Old 08-16-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amva238 View Post
We just moved back to Morgantown after 5 years in Lexington,KY and I was surprised by the lack of new businesss here. I emailed the real estate developer in charge of WV for Whole
Foods and will post his response below. Maybe if more people in the area contact him it will help. I think WF would be great here. Especially with the new lower prices and deals for Amazon Prime members.

Yes, Thanks , we have considered Morgantown , but it’s a little smaller MSA than we can typically react to as we develop new strategies for improving service to many areas were not covering , now. Thanks for the recommendation , I'll keep my thinking cap on !

Andy Hofheimer

Moderator note: Email address removed. User Direct Messages.
I’m going to email him in the morning (fingers crossed), I’m going to mention just how far away people travel to shop in Morgantown, plus i see he mentions the Morgantown MSA, that’s not really a fair thing to go by, the Morgantown-Fairmont Combined MSA is the more fair one to go by (129,000 vs 197,000 respectfully) and it frankly should include Uniontown, PA now since so many people from up there come down here to shop. Just to show how far away people come here to shop, geek squads territory for this Morgantown store apparently runs to just south of Washington, PA, slightly toward wheeling in that direction, down to an hour to 2 hours north of Charleston and the whole way east past Cumberland, MD approaching the Hagerstown stores turf. One of the geek squad guys I was chatting with said on an average year this Morgantown store does about $30-$40 million in sales which apparently is on par with one of the better Pittsburgh stores.

Anyway, I see he also represents Costco, I will have to ask him about that also.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you find out he represents Whole Foods development for this whole area? Also did you ask just about Whole Foods, or also about their newer store Whole Foods 365?

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-17-2018 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited

Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 PM

456 posts, read 603,175 times
You would also get people from Bridgeport,Clarksburg,Weston,Buckhannon and Elkins. There is no where for anyone in this part of the state to shop or dine. I live in Elkins and go to Morgantown 4-5 times a month and Bridgeport 6-8 times a month. We go to Pittsburgh, Charleston and Harrisonburg VA.once a month.Many go to Morgantown for the hospital and you would pull from 400,000 for a Costco or Whole Foods.Me and my sister went to Virginia and bought out a Wegman's there. The only nice grocery store in this whole part of the state is the Morgantown Krogers. Sams in Bridgeport has become stale and I hate the drive to Harrisonburg to Costco's. I would get a membership in a heart beat if there was one in Morgantown. Morgantown needs a page devoted to getting signatures to attract new businesses. A few thousand signatures could change some minds.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:51 AM

To get the contact information to contact the person for WV, Whole Foods has this list posted online (scroll down to the Master Broker List):

https://wholefoodsmarket.com/company...e?sf91641503=1

I highly encourage people to email them asking for a location here, mention the Morgantown-Fairmont Combined MSA population number (~198,000) and how even that number doesn't truly represent the population that the Morgantown area pulls from.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 08-17-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 01:44 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
To get the contact information to contact the person for WV, Whole Foods has this list posted online (scroll down to the Master Broker List):

https://wholefoodsmarket.com/company...e?sf91641503=1

I highly encourage people to email them asking for a location here, mention the Morgantown-Fairmont Combined MSA population number (~198,000) and how even that number doesn't truly represent the population that the Morgantown area pulls from.
I wouldn't even use "MSA" statistics. They are incredibly misleading for our area. Morgantown is just 5 miles from the Pittsburgh MSA, and folks living in southern Fayette County (PA) and Greene aren't counted in our numbers. Neither are the 25,000 non permanent resident students who actually live here most of the year. I believe a more appropriate measure would be a 50 mile radius of the city. Use that, include non permanent resident students at the various colleges and universities, and you will have 600,000 people in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown