Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 02:01 PM

491 posts, read 610,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Rumor has it that Kohl’s is coming to the old Belk location and Burlington Coat Factory is coming to the old ElderBeerman store.

Now we just need a HomeDepot and possibly a Staples in town somewhere and I’ll never have a reason again to go to Clarksburg or Uniontown (been running to both recently for some tools from HomeDepot and not being able to pick it up in town is driving me nuts)
That would be perfect. Shouldn't take more than 2-3 months for them to redesign the interior and hire on employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 04:13 AM

273 posts, read 382,100 times
Quote:
Rumor has it that Kohl’s is coming to the old Belk location and Burlington Coat Factory is coming to the old ElderBeerman store.

Now we just need a HomeDepot and possibly a Staples in town somewhere and I’ll never have a reason again to go to Clarksburg or Uniontown (been running to both recently for some tools from HomeDepot and not being able to pick it up in town is driving me nuts)
That’s been the rumor for quite a while. I’m hesitant to believe it now as I first heard these stores were coming years ago. I would like to see the additional options, but I’ll wait for an announcement from one of the parties.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM

250 posts, read 331,747 times
They ain't coming although it would be a great thing. There is SO much potential for that side of the interstate...*sigh*

Old 12-05-2018, 07:34 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
They ain't coming although it would be a great thing. There is SO much potential for that side of the interstate...*sigh*
Retail is in trouble everywhere. We are not unique in that regard. I worked for Sears when they absolutely were the stalwart in the retail industry. They were so good to their employees it was very tough to get a job there. Now they are just about in the tank. The only reliable retail these days are sporting goods and mattress stores. It's sad, but true.

There is some future in smaller, niche market retail, but likely those old box stores that have lingered and anguished for years and are finally letting go of their death gasp are going to be replaced by offices for companies too cheap to invest in better digs, call centers, and hotels but even the latter is a risky endeavor for companies if they call it wrong on the location factor. There is more and more competition for the convention and conference business. Some communities, some of them in areas that are losing population, are betting the ranch on that, and some companies are following suit. The jury is out, but it could be a losing proposition.

We are fortunate to be in an area where growth makes the bet more certain to bring positive returns, but I'm not at all certain that will extent to traditional retail, not even here.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 12-05-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 06:25 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,013 times
Don’t shoot the messenger and consider the source of this post but....

“BLOOM BREAKING NEWS:

At 2:30 today, there will be an announcement concerning the first of many new businesses that are locating in the Western TIF district................The County Commissioners are very excited for this announcement and hopefully we will have more in the upcoming months......”

In theory this will be something of substance because when the Larson Design Group moved into WestRidge there was no hoopla about it. I'd imagine this has to do with the building being built in front of the power station above the old Kmart or some of the office space over in the corporate park area.

Also there is another completely new drawing with all of the smaller retail on the other side of the road now, no Menards or anything other than roads (looks like they whited out the buildings), the drawing has a date of the end of November but doesn't show the coming changes to the interchange. Boy would I love the two big whited out lots to be a Menards and Costco.

https://ira-realty.com/commercial-de...ridge-commons/

Last edited by WVUmatt; 12-10-2018 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 AM

491 posts, read 610,075 times
Quote:
Don’t shoot the messenger and consider the source of this post but....

“BLOOM BREAKING NEWS:

At 2:30 today, there will be an announcement concerning the first of many new businesses that are locating in the Western TIF district................The County Commissioners are very excited for this announcement and hopefully we will have more in the upcoming months......”

In theory this will be something of substance because when the Larson Design Group moved into WestRidge there was no hoopla about it. I'd imagine this has to do with the building being built in front of the power station above the old Kmart or some of the office space over in the corporate park area.

Also there is another completely new drawing with all of the smaller retail on the other side of the road now, no Menards or anything other than roads (looks like they whited out the buildings), the drawing has a date of the end of November but doesn't show the coming changes to the interchange. Boy would I love the two big whited out lots to be a Menards and Costco.

https://ira-realty.com/commercial-de...ridge-commons/
The Sheetz Inn and Sheetz Truckstop.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
The Sheetz Inn and Sheetz Truckstop.
Lol Sheetz's first hotel and it shares an awning with the gas station next door.

Now if Sheetz moved its HQ here I'd majorly laugh, but I don't think they will be leaving Altoona anytime soon.

Edit: Hearing on the radio the governor is supposed to be in town today for the announcement.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 12-10-2018 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 09:04 AM

https://www.thenewscenter.tv/content...502357541.html

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (WTAP) - West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice is expected to announce Monday afternoon that a Fortune 500 company will be bringing new jobs to the Mountain State.
Justice has a news conference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. in Morgantown to make the announcement.
A news release from the governor's office on Sunday did not disclose the name of the company or the number of new jobs.
Justice is also scheduled to announce the awarding of several grants.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
I also saw something on Twitter earlier adding fuel to the fire about Costco coming to Morgantown: https://twitter.com/bitmapped/status...57235021787137

It's not related to the announcement today, either.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
Quote:
https://www.thenewscenter.tv/content...502357541.html

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (WTAP) - West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice is expected to announce Monday afternoon that a Fortune 500 company will be bringing new jobs to the Mountain State.
Justice has a news conference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. in Morgantown to make the announcement.
A news release from the governor's office on Sunday did not disclose the name of the company or the number of new jobs.
Justice is also scheduled to announce the awarding of several grants.
Very exciting. His office usually live streams stuff like this on Facebook and Twitter. I'll be watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown