Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
If I can briefly get "off-topic" for a moment, would be curious to know about other folks' attitudes re: the issue of "safety" and occasionally "pushing the envelope" in terms of sometimes riding a little (or alot) faster than usual, splitting lanes (if allowed locally), or just generally being in a hurry and taking advantage of the motorcycles speed, passing power, and increased ability to slip thru traffic.

Am usually a pretty cautious, longtime rider (especially with a passenger), but I sometimes find it's pretty hard not to take advantage of the added power and maneuverability that I normally wouldn't have when driving the car (like if I'm in a hurry!). And once in awhile, have also been known to occasionally "over-cook" a winding mountain turn or two... not good! Anybody else care to comment on how they juggle the issue of "risk" vs "safety" & "convenience" judgements when they're riding? Or do you think that it just comes with the territory, and that most motorcyclists do ride their bike a bit more "assertively" than they usually drive their car?
YOu mean like this?

I don't think a lot of these people. I hear of a few of these riders flying off one of our huge overpasses every once in a while, one even called "the High Five" as it has five levels to the interchange, which these bozos are coming up upon. You know, I never see harley riders attempting stuff like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Talking bikes rule

i know after owning alot of different bikes my goldwing is far better than everything else i have ever owned. nothing compares to the comfort of the ride. dw and i can ride around a 100 miles with out stopping, it's that comfortable.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
YOu mean like this?
I don't think a lot of these people. I hear of a few of these riders flying off one of our huge overpasses every once in a while, one even called "the High Five" as it has five levels to the interchange, which these bozos are coming up upon. You know, I never see harley riders attempting stuff like this.
LOL... nope, nothing like that! Besides, no offense, but I'm not sure Harleys are light enough or have enough power to do stuff like that anyway... although they have been known to do things like this:

Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,694 times
Wow how do you drive like that..lol that hurts my arms just looking at that bike. That's insane.

As for the crotch rockets they are just plain stupid stupid stupid!!! When I see guys doing that on the roadways I can't wait to see them crash...they get what they deserve!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Wow how do you drive like that..lol that hurts my arms just looking at that bike. That's insane.

As for the crotch rockets they are just plain stupid stupid stupid!!! When I see guys doing that on the roadways I can't wait to see them crash...they get what they deserve!
Yeah, those ape-hangers are pretty insane and I'm surprised his arms and hands don't just fall asleep hanging like that!

FYI, the guy doing the wheelie in traffic is riding a Suzuki GSX1000. To put that in comparison, your typical cruiser or touring bike is putting out maybe between 90 and 110 horsepower on average. But the crotch rockets usually have way more horsepower for their weight. That Suzuki not only weighs about a third less than a Harley, it's also putting out almost 160 horsepower... and that's the smaller one! They also make the 1300 Hayabusa model with over 175 horsepower, stock!!

Agreed, pretty crazy driving, but probably not too surprising when you combine all that horsepower, with a youth culture full of professional stunt bikers and hyper street machines, plus the attitude that you'll live forever.

Of course we never did anything like that when we were younger!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
I'm usually on the back roads enjoying nature and watching the crops grow. Every once in awhile some big bike comes up behind me and flies by me at 90 or so. Usually about gives me a heart attack. I hope they are embarassed to see they just passed a scooter.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
an electric e scooter
hold on 1 minute.

there you go.
im telling you when huck comes to town
no salad bar is safe.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I look up destinations on the Internet, mapquest it and off I go. My DH doesn't enjoy riding so I ride solo most of the time. I do belong to a group in Richmond IN which is mostly retired guys. It's 25 older men and me But they treat me well and I have really enjoyed them.
Pick up Road Runner magazine. They do reviews of bikes - even scooters - but it's more about the roads than what you ride. Every issue has several good travelogue stories and maps.

As a female rider, check out Scooter Diva That's a good board for us scooterista to bond

Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
an electric e scooter
hold on 1 minute.

there you go.
im telling you when huck comes to town
no salad bar is safe.
Nice scoot, but maybe it needs a little bit of "customizing" to fit in with the "biker" look...
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of Motorcycle do you own?-e_scoot2.jpg  

Old 12-06-2008, 07:01 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post

after riding that thing for a mile your arms would be numb...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles