Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,815 times

Advertisements

I admit it. In my early 20s, I would go to the theater every few months and spend the whole day there. I always bought food from the concession stand, and all of the ushers knew what I was doing. It was wrong. There's no way to rationalize it.

I wouldn't dream of doing it now. Besides, most of those movies will be on DVD in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 AM

8,303 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Movie theatres can charge whatever they want that doesent mean you have to go. Just because you feel its too expensive does not mean its ok to jump from theatre to theatre after only paying once. If its too expensive dont go.
Or perhaps, after paying $10 for even a freaking matinee (which is not cheap by any means), you naturally want to get your money's worth in entertainment. If you feel like the show wasn't worth anywhere near $10 and since you can't return the goods, you get even by watching another movie aka exchanging merchandise. Movie theaters only give you a credit and that is if you see them within like 30 minutes of the start which is another bologna. Of course I am not defending those who spend the entire day in the movie theater after paying for only one show. Have I done it? Of course, when I was younger (last year.....just kidding) and only a few times or more or a lot, I can't remember.......again kidding.......or not.

Quote:
Movie theatres from my understanding dont make a whole lot of money. I think they mainly make money off concessions which is why they are so expensive.
Another BS! If ticket prices were only a few dollars, I might buy that but at $10+ for a show (any show), I seriously doubt their only profit comes from popcorn, soda pop, etc. sales.

If by some miracle, that is indeed true-ish, then that would be another sign that movie stars, especially the A-list stars are overpaid! If their asking price is going up by high grossing movies and winning and award, then their asking price should go down as well when they make a sh.t movie.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,325,824 times
Never. It's stealing.Besides knowing it's wrong, I don't do it because I don't have the time.You're not just hurting the theater chain if you double-dip. The theaters monitor the number of of seats sold."You've got auditoriums like 'Harry Potter' that are sold out So if anybody was crossing over, they'd take a seat that belongs to someone else.It's probably one of the reasons we have to pay so much to see movies these days.The fact remains that some people do switch theaters, sometimes because they create a justification for the act.It happens now more than in the past, when you just had two screens to choose.Smaller theaters vary showtimes as a way to combat crossover.On the Web, it's easy to find sites that advise on a strategy for this misbehavior of paying for one ticket and seeing more than one show. Stealing intellectual property is the same as stealing popcorn.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Have you ever 'hopped' from one movie to another in a multiplex? Do you think this is ethical? On the one hand, some say it's fair to 'stick it to the man' who's charging you an outrageous $11 for a ticket.

Others say it's not right, as you should pay for every film, or just come early for a matinee or wait for the dvd it you are pressed for cash.
What a load of crap. The best way to 'stick it to the man' if you think he's charging too much is to not buy the product in the first place.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:54 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
No.. ...no and NO ...it's stealing......

Old 11-20-2010, 03:20 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,861 times
When I first came to the US, this was something that intrigued me. In my home country, we have to show our tickets at the entry to each hall in a multiplex. Why don't they check for people who "hop" movies here? Some of my friends did it all the time , but I never did.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:33 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I've had a few of the more obnoxious people dragged down to the police station to await pickup by parents for doing this. The term is "theft of services." The ones that used to get to me were the ones that would sneak into a sold-out auditorium and deny paying customers the courtesy of a seat.

TurcoLurco, the financial statements of the major theatre circuits are available on the stock reports. Look for yourself. I have financial statements from a few of the places where I worked. While at the end of a year, roughly half of the receipts (less taxes) from ticket sales went to the theatre, the overhead for a theatre was, and still is, huge. Real estate or rent cost has shuttered many a theatre. Heating and cooling those large auditoriums doesn't come cheap. Equipment costs money. Slashed, kicked, and other damaged seats have to be replaced. If you total all the expenses, it eats up the revenue from tickets, sometimes more. That leaves concession as the deciding factor in whether a true profit is made or not. The ads, hate them as we all do, have also made a difference in some situations. Even if you see a packed theatre on a weekend opening of a film, remember that the same place can be nearly empty mid-week, but bills keep coming in.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
I've never even thought about doing it. I pay for a ticket to see A movie, not as many I think I SHOULD be "entitled" to see for that price.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,603 times
I have never done it or have thought about doing it. However, this past week, our family went to the theater. My oldest and I saw Harry Potter. My husband took our youngest to Megamind, which started later and got out half an hour after ours. The theater worker asked if we would like to go watch the end of Megamind with the other half of our family. I thought it was a very nice gesture (and we took him up on it).

Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
I think it's wrong and anyone who does it is simply a THUG. Any man who teaches his son that this is the right thing to do, should be arrested.

I avoid going to the movies for many reasons. I find that watching movies in the comfort of my home is far more enjoyable. Nobody kicking the back of my seat. No babbling people and their annoying chatter. No stupid previews. I don't have to listen to people laughing at the unfunniest crap. Of course, there's also those ridiculous prices for water and food.

It is very, very rare that I go to the movies and I never would try to see more than one movie for the price of one. This is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies