Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
As Drover just posted, it's called theft of services. Yes there are larger crimes, but the fact is it is still theft.

I never said it wasnt. However, it is not the same as stealing an object that has a cost associated with it.

A DVD cost a business money. For example, let's say a particular DVD cost Wal-Mart $5. If someone steals it, Wal-Mart is out $5.

If a movie theater holds 300 people and 200 seats are empty, there is no additional cost to the theater by someone sitting in it that didnt pay for a ticket. It doesnt change anything for the theater whatsoever.

I have a friend who was a projectionist at an AMC theater until about 2 months ago and I asked him about this. He said that this is obviously a tough issue for theaters and something they deal with daily. He said that they basically will kick out teenagers and younger kids that do it because they are usually causing trouble. If they catch adults doing it, they are told not to confront them unless they are causing trouble and just let it go. He said that adults that are not causing trouble could usually come up and go to movies all day long and it would not be an issue.

If this is such a bad thing for theaters, why would they have that policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Then your son and his buddies are nothing more than common thieves.
Some of you folks are just full of it. It's called theater hopping and the multiplexes expect it, that's one reason ticket prices are so high. In the event of a seriously popular movie, like the first two weeks of Avatar, the theaters have ushers check all ingoing tickets to make sure there are no hoppers. You can all flagellate yourselves into an accusatory frenzy, but when there are other movies with empty seats they could care less. You already paid up front.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You can all flagellate yourselves into an accusatory frenzy, but when there are other movies with empty seats they could care less. You already paid up front.

Exactly. That is pretty much what my buddy who has worked at theaters since he was 15 said. No one really cares unless you are a 14 year old causing some kind of disruption or if the movie is sold out. If anything, it helps them sell more concessions where they actually earn their money.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Have you ever 'hopped' from one movie to another in a multiplex? Do you think this is ethical? On the one hand, some say it's fair to 'stick it to the man' who's charging you an outrageous $11 for a ticket.

Others say it's not right, as you should pay for every film, or just come early for a matinee or wait for the dvd it you are pressed for cash.
No, it's not ethical and stick it to what man?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
evidently the "movie theater people" don't care; otherwise, they would start designing theaters that would prevent people from going into other movies unnoticed

Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Some of you folks are just full of it. It's called theater hopping and the multiplexes expect it, that's one reason ticket prices are so high. In the event of a seriously popular movie, like the first two weeks of Avatar, the theaters have ushers check all ingoing tickets to make sure there are no hoppers. You can all flagellate yourselves into an accusatory frenzy, but when there are other movies with empty seats they could care less. You already paid up front.
Believe me i'm far from woring myself int a frenzy. The OP asked a queston and they were given an honest anwser. The bottom line is it's theft, you can try to justify it all you want but the fact is it is still theft. I'm not saying it's a huge crime or that the person is really a bad person but still it's not the right thing to do.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 869 times
I do it all the time... I didn't even know it was unethical until a security guard asked me if I have watched more than one movie. I looked at him like he was crazy and was about to reply when my cousin told him no and dragged me of...that was about a year ago. And now I'm much more sneakier or just feel really uncomfortable if it's almost full.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I think it is a crime watching a movie for free, with empty seats
when they could
miss my money after a $70 million take in one day.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I did once Jingle All the Way and Space Jam but haven't in years. Nearly did it for Titanic but I forget what movie I saw to hop from. Haven't done it since and not because of threats of arrest, just knowing right from wrong.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:54 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
I never have, but I would consider doing so with the ticket prices/concession prices today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies