Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times

Advertisements

I've done it before, not since I was 16, but that doesn't mean it's right. It's stealing, basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,716,275 times
I could create a list of all the things wrong with America and jumping from theater to theater wouldn't make the list.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM

232 posts, read 676,862 times
Meh, I do it once in a great while. I know it's wrong. What can I say? I'm a scoundrel.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 PM

8,331 posts, read 13,470,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I could create a list of all the things wrong with America and jumping from theater to theater wouldn't make the list.
Haha...no kidding!

Btw, that'd have been a long.ss list for sure!

Old 12-03-2010, 12:23 AM

36 posts, read 52,582 times
Often thought about it but never had the courage to!
But yeah, the food and drink there is ridiculous! Costs an arm and a leg just to get a coke and a popcorn.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,664,550 times
I did it once or twice when I was a teenager, but that was years ago.

Now when I want to see a double feature, I go to the AMC near me on Monday-Thursday when all shows at all times are only $5. Paying $10 to see two new releases isn't that bad, IMO. All shows before Noon on the weekend are also only $5.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,006,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think it's wrong and anyone who does it is simply a THUG. Any man who teaches his son that this is the right thing to do, should be arrested.

A thug? Arrested? You're being a little dramatic, dont you think?

I'm not saying it is right but its not the worst of wrongs.

When I was a teenager, my local theater use to allow us to come into the theater when they opened and stay all day. We would watch every movie that came out several times. I saw Jurassic Park like 10 times in the theater. The manager and everyone that worked there was fine with it because we would buy concessions all day and bring friends up that bought tickets as well.

I rarely go to the theater now but if you go to an extra movie and it has empty seats, you are not taking anything from the theater. It doesnt not cost them anything to seat extra people in empty seats. I think the last time I did that was a few years back. A friend of mine and I went to the first Spiderman and we were walking out and there was another movie starting of something else we wanted to see so we walked in and watched that too.

Movie theaters only make an average of .17 cents off a movie ticket. 99% of box office revenue goes to the movie studios. Theaters are entirely dependent on overpriced concessions to make a profit.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM

232 posts, read 676,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think it's wrong and anyone who does it is simply a THUG. Any man who teaches his son that this is the right thing to do, should be arrested.
A thug? Really? I admit I do it occasionally, but I would hardly call myself a thug. I pay my taxes, pay my mortgage, give to charity, and try to be an overall good person. I admit it's wrong, but I wouldn't lump myself into the same category as the "thug" who knocks over the liquor store down the street. You're being a little over-dramatic.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,006,278 times
Especially considering that if the movie is not sold out, you are sitting in a seat that isnt going to be sat in anyway and it doesnt cost anything for the theater to have you sit there. In fact, if you but extra concessions, you are helping out the theater anyway.

My wife and her friends did that tonight, actually. The second movie they went to only had 3 other people sitting in it. Not exactly causing problems, are they?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:49 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Especially considering that if the movie is not sold out, you are sitting in a seat that isnt going to be sat in anyway and it doesnt cost anything for the theater to have you sit there. In fact, if you but extra concessions, you are helping out the theater anyway.

My wife and her friends did that tonight, actually. The second movie they went to only had 3 other people sitting in it. Not exactly causing problems, are they?
You sir, are justifying your actions without knowledge. It is extremely common for theatre to have what are called "blind checks." This is where the film companies, or even the circuit headquarters, send a person to buy a ticket and do a surreptitious count of the number of heads in an auditorium, or in the theatre as a whole. How do I know? I've ordered them done.

When a film company does this, and the tally doesn't match the ticket sales, the theatre can be taken "off service." What does that mean? It means - if you and a few dozen other people snuck into a Disney film, because of that Buena Vista may no longer book Disney films into that location. The kids will thank you. If someone from the circuit home office has the check done, it may mean a manger gets fired. How do I know? See above...

So go ahead. Justify your theft. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies