Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
is it my imagination or do these type of movie not get made anymore. I am not decrying recent movies, but it seems to me that these type of movies are not made anymore.
It's not your imagination. It takes a good screenwriter and a good producer to make a good thriller, and even the best script can be trashed by the wrong director.

Unfortunately, Hollywood is full of young people filling all these jobs these days, and the idea of high concept, where a movie is put together around some notion that might fill seats, but has no good writing beforehand, is still all too common.
I'm not knocking these young folks, but all too often, their offerings are nothing but flash and smoke with no good solid characters the audience can connect with emotionally. They are more interested in the money making potential than delivering a solid product. High concept worked in the past- a lot of the high concept movies of the past 20 years were big hits at the time, but many just look silly these days.

Age demographics has come to rule the biz as well. There was a period when young girls were the real movie goers, and currently, 13 year old boys are driving the industry. But with the steady increase of ticket prices and production expense, other demographics are emerging. Older moviegoers are still going out to the movies now as empty-nesters, and the kids are staying home more and more, playing video games.

Older viewers, those who are 30 to 60, aren't going to go see a Transformers movie on their own. They like flicks that are thrillers, dramas, and smart comedies, and all those are cheaper to produce. Lower expectations with higher returns seems to be what's happening more and more now, and I think it's a good trend.

There will always be room for big, expensive blockbusters like Avatar, though. James Cameron has a formula that always works- he starts with a small human (or human-alien) interaction that is the emotional core, and surrounds that core with huge events that engage all of us as both eye candy and emotionally. But Cameron is one of very few who can pull it off every time. That consistency is a very rare and difficult thing to accomplish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,850,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
They are more interested in the money making potential than delivering a solid product.
This, by the way, applies to all industries. The general atmosphere for consumers was once "give them a solid product and they'll be happy to buy it," but now it's "how much can we get them to pay for this crap?"

Old 07-10-2012, 08:23 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,246,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
is it my imagination or do these type of movie not get made anymore. I am not decrying recent movies, but it seems to me that these type of movies are not made anymore.
I disagree with you. There have been a lot of great movies made this past decade. Inception, Black Swan, The Dark Knight, City of God, Memento, The Pianist, just to name a few

I'm sure people 30 years from now will be lamenting how much better movies were in the 2000s

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
True Confessions - Robert Duval and Robert DiNiro - great film noir 1981, much over looked

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,850,396 times
I thought Unbreakable was an EXCELLENT thriller. It was a pretty big flop if I remember correctly though.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,391 times
Lots of good ones mentioned, I'll add a couple more...

Raising Cain...DePalma film starring John Lithgow
No Way Out..even if you don't like Kostner, you'll be surprised by the ending

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM

891 posts, read 2,452,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I disagree with you. There have been a lot of great movies made this past decade. Inception, Black Swan, The Dark Knight, City of God, Memento, The Pianist, just to name a few

I'm sure people 30 years from now will be lamenting how much better movies were in the 2000s

You misunderstood my point. I was not decrying the quality of recent movies. I'm just suggesting that there are a lot fewer of these types of movies made nowadays - whether good or bad, whether good quality of or not.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Zodiac is (IMHO) one of the best thrillers ever made. The tension was palpable. I almost got sick.

A few other faves:

This one was underrated at the time: The Silent Partner Excellent cat-and-mouse situation.

The Vanishing This one seemed to be a sleeper, but it sure worked for me. It was more of a character-driven story, but very compelling.

Collateral Say what you want about Tom Cruise, his portrayal of a killer was superb, just sympathetic enough to keep the viewer on his toes.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,700,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Seeker View Post
* Zodiac
I don't know about that....

Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:
* Zodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I don't know about that....
What don't you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies