Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,667,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha, I was lucky to be born in the early 70s i was about 3 or 4 when Bruce Lee made it big. Further being born in Hawai'i there was a lot of ethnic movie houses. We even had Golden Harvest open a place in Honolulu. So every weekend i was blessed to go see a new Kung fu or Japanese Action Movie. Then later the airing of Kung Fu theater.

So being raised in the Shaw Brothers , Golden Harvest, Bruce lee era. my opinion maybe biased. But feel free to share your top 5 favs.

Mine Are:

1.Bruce Lee- Enter the Dragon
2.Bruce Lee- Fist of Fury
3.Bruce Lee- Big Boss( ok its safe to say Bruce lee movies are my fav so i will leave it at that)
4)Jet li - Once upon a time in china serious.
5)Tomisaburo Wakayama- Shogun Assassin(lone wolf and cub)

I also have a lot of favs from many other Martial Arts actors and from different countries like Korea, China, Hong Kong etc. So if i did not mention them no insult intended. Please share what your movies are? Aloha

Awesome thread !!!!!

Watching Shaw Bros Kung-Fu movies was an important part of my youth. A real social event in my neighborhood. Everyone would gather 'round the TV and carry on like it was a sports event. I could go on for hours on this subject but I just wouldnt know where to start. I LOVE these movies! One that sticks out in my age-addled mind is Bruce Lee in New Guinea. When he goes in to the jungle a troop of kung-fu apes confronts him and of course he makes short work of them, but when they first appear and start doing kung-fu moves all in unison, I fell out of my chair. He tears ones skull open and there is a piece of pizza for brains. pretty gruesome, ha ha. Who could forget Kareems kung-fu debut, either
Did you ever notice that in most of the dialogue, the men always start every sentance with sort of an elongated grunt or groan type sound?
" Huhmmmmmmmm . . . You have insulted my mastuh, NOW YOU MUST DIE!!!!!!!"

The women are sort of a clipped off, bird chirp sound . . . Great stuff.

The Chuck Norris/Segal/Gymkata type stuff that came out later doesn't compare. Their kung-fu is weak!

When I lived near Philly in the 70's the theaters in the city would show triple features on saturdays. When they would let out, all the little kids would spill out on the street doing all the moves they saw in the movies. It was hilariously fantastic !!! 200 little kids doing crane style, Drunkin Monkey, Tiger Claw on each other. Just like in that Kung-Fu fighting song that was big at the time . . . ha ha
Thanks for the memories. Good times. Great thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:05 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,032 times

Carl Douglas - Kung fu fighting(original) - YouTube

Bruce Lee Tribute Video - YouTube

Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,285 times
One of my favorite female martial arts stars of the 70s. Angela Mao.

Broken Oath (1977) [Mandarin, English Subs] [] - YouTube

In my opinion one of her best movies.

Ok guys i know there are alot more ppl who enjoy martial arts movies. Lets hear your top five movies, any star or generation.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,159,299 times
Hey TRosa, I actually bought that Karl Douglas LP -- what a ripoff, his other songs sucked.

Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer are hilarious but this is not one of my faves:

Last edited by jaypee; 07-25-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Hey TRosa, I actually bought that Karl Douglas LP -- what a ripoff, his other songs sucked.

Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer are hilarious but this is not one of my faves:
I get a kick out of hearing that song, but only in jest, back in the day, I couldn't stand that song. That was the thing about albums, back then, you fell in love with a song and if you didn't really know the artist work, you often ended up with an album filled with stinkers.

================================================== ================

I'm still trying to remember which movie was the one from the early 70's with a group of Asian warrior fighters and one of themn would use his long, (past his bum,) braided ponytail as a weapon. Anyone?

Last edited by TRosa; 07-25-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 PM

32,123 posts, read 34,797,313 times
I liked the Best of the Best series (the first two movies). I enjoyed the second movie more than the second from a technical standpoint, particularly the fight scene against the boxer.

Best of the Best 2 in 2 minutes - YouTube

Rapid Fire had some nice scenes.

Brandon Lee MMA Legend - YouTube

I love this scene in Only The Strong when Silvario effs up the Capoeira teacher.

Only the Strong (1993) Part 4 of 7 - YouTube

Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM

Tony Jaa -- The Chiropractor:

(action starts at 1:50)

The protector. Bone breaking scene. - YouTube

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Tony Jaa -- The Chiropractor:

(action starts at 1:50)

The protector. Bone breaking scene. - YouTube
All I can say is DAYUUM! Nice.

Many of the olders movie fight scenesones I look back on them and find myself breaking out in laughter especially due to the sound effects and speeded up movement, the above posted and a couple of others that some posted were pretty good.

I rarely watch these types of movies these days, but if I come across one like that, I might watch.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Tony Jaa: parkour!

Ong Bak free running - YouTube

Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Thought some of you would appreciate this trailer (IP Man ref), I saw it today at the theater figured it would be on youtube. Enjoy

The Grandmaster Official Trailer #2 (2013) - Tony Leung, Ziyi Zhang Movie HD - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies