Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times

Advertisements

I was on my phone in a room with my friends when it was on. It seemed ok but not all that interesting. Which is why I didn't pay much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Brave I haven't seen but it isn't a musical like the other princess movies have been. Come to think of it, Pixar really only uses soundtracks like Randy Newman, country (when talking about Cars) and old show tunes with Wall-E. It's apples and oranges with the only tie being they are princess stories.
Well, Brave is also about relationship, in this case a mother-daughter relationship. The mother wants her to become princess-like while the daughter wants to just be herself. So the daughter rebels and suffers the consequences of her little act of rebellion until both learn how to accept each other. That's why the title is called 'Brave', as in, brave to be yourself.

Regarding soundtrack, I thought Pharell Williams' song 'Happy' from Despicable Me was way better than Let It Go, and much catchier tune.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Way too much singing I agree. I feel like it has the most singing of all Disney movies. Either that or they scenes are just so Broadway huge full of singing and last so long it feels like they sing for 80% of the movie.

I think the fact that Let It Go is really the only song people remember is good evidence as to it's mediocrity.

I'll admit I'm partial to The Lion King. The story, chartacres, everything. It's just my movie. But even with other Disney movies you remember at least 3-4 songs and know them by heart after awhile.

I can't think of any other song but that Snowman one and all I remember is "Do you want to build a snowman? Yaddayaddasomethingsomething" until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I've seen it five times I think. More to come I'm sure as my six year old loves it.

I think it is cute and funny at times but mostly a flawed and mediocre tale.

1. The villain was "good" throughout the entire movie and decided to show his true colors at the end as if he were suddenly possessed or rewritten entirely.

2. Kristoff made a great gesture of love and a true heart by standing aside to let Anna be kissed by Hans which should have thawed her heart IMO but understand this is about girl power.

3. Elsa had very few redeeming qualities and I was not surprised when learning that she had been rewritten to not be a villain as originally intended.

4. Olaf was good. I was glad he was not an annoying Jar Jar Banks style side kick.
Um, for me he was Frosty the Jar Jark Binks. He was that annoying.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 PM

777 posts, read 880,474 times
Response to Mark S.:

Because of the time devoted to Disneyland, planning Disney World,
and producing tv shows, Walt Disney had less time to devote to
the products that made him famous: his animated cartoons.

He stopped devoting major time to those projects around the mid 1950's
and relegated the duties to his Nine Old Men (elite animation staff).
He would be briefed on the progress, watch rough cuts, and provide
suggestions here and there but that was the extent of his involvement.
Later projects like Mary Poppins where he immersed himself in the production
are considered classics.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Well, Brave is also about relationship, in this case a mother-daughter relationship. The mother wants her to become princess-like while the daughter wants to just be herself. So the daughter rebels and suffers the consequences of her little act of rebellion until both learn how to accept each other. That's why the title is called 'Brave', as in, brave to be yourself.

Regarding soundtrack, I thought Pharell Williams' song 'Happy' from Despicable Me was way better than Let It Go, and much catchier tune.
If you compare Pharrell Williams's Happy to Demi Lovato's version of Let It Go, I can understand. However it is apples and oranges to me when you compare Happy to the theatrical version of Let It Go. Why, because they are different. Happy seems to have been a song (that might have been written for the movie) that is just spliced in the movie and the credits rather than Let It Go being a traditional show-tune.

I will watch Brave at some point, it is the only recent Pixar film (since Rattatoie) that I haven't seen in theaters or got on DVD right after it's release. I didn't expect too much in Frozen outside of "Let It Go" being epic because of the way the trailers made it seem like a very slapstick Dreamworks style animated movie rather than the movie with a heart that it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Response to Mark S.:

Because of the time devoted to Disneyland, planning Disney World,
and producing tv shows, Walt Disney had less time to devote to
the products that made him famous: his animated cartoons.

He stopped devoting major time to those projects around the mid 1950's
and relegated the duties to his Nine Old Men (elite animation staff).
He would be briefed on the progress, watch rough cuts, and provide
suggestions here and there but that was the extent of his involvement.
Later projects like Mary Poppins where he immersed himself in the production
are considered classics.
Walt had passion projects that pulled him away from animation. Don't get me wrong, Disney animation was still good in the 50's and 60's as he started to focus to other ideas such as Disneyland, the television shows, The World Fair, Disney World, Mineral King Ski Resort and others. In order Peter Pan came out in 1953 (well into initial plans of Disneyland), Lady and the Tramp in 1955 (during final construction), Sleeping Beauty in 1959, One Hundred and One Dalmatians in 1961, The Sword in the Stone in 1963 (around the time of World Fair and early Disney World scouting) and Jungle Book in 1967 (which started while Walt was working on Disney World planning.) I think a major thing was Walt trusted the "Nine Old Men" at the time that he didn't need to micro-manage. Plus Walt's storytelling bug was growing beyond animation.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
There are 1 of 2 things you can do OP to not let the hype bother you:

1. Ignore it
2. Dare I say, LET IT GO

=)

Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Did I miss something?
Yes. Millions of people have seen the movie and have experienced happiness because of it.

Then there are those who saw it, didn't have a smile on their face at the end and want to make sure everyone knows they..... ho.... hum..... just weren't impressed. Yawn.

Personally I've gotten happiness from not just the movie but from knowing how many kids are being empowered by its message.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
It was pretty good,but massively overrated imo.
Ernest&Celestine would've made a worthier winner for best animated feature.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It was pretty good,but massively overrated imo.
Ernest&Celestine would've made a worthier winner for best animated feature.
I think it is over-rated if you didn't get the total package. I've said if I went by the Monsters University teaser trailer of Sven and Olaf on the pond scurrying for the carrot or even the comedy tv trailers, I would have missed one of my top two Disney animated movies ever. Likewise I watched Brave and while the story behind it was good, the movie was rather slow and didn't get to the point quick enough. Frozen, the love between the two sisters was there the entire time. Elsa didn't wanna do with Anna so she wouldn't hurt her again while Anna didn't understand why Elsa blocked her out and wanted to be there for her sister. In Brave, it was a good story but it took to long to get into the meat and potatoes in my opinion (which is weird with a Pixar movie.)

Old 05-05-2014, 04:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. Millions of people have seen the movie and have experienced happiness because of it.

Then there are those who saw it, didn't have a smile on their face at the end and want to make sure everyone knows they..... ho.... hum..... just weren't impressed. Yawn.

Personally I've gotten happiness from not just the movie but from knowing how many kids are being empowered by its message.
Yes, this. And if people are not in the target demographic their opinion is breaking any hearts in the Disney headquarters.

As the parent of a girl who is in the target demographic I think it is a good message and good music. Win win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies