Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Today, Hollywood can't seem to get out of the "five young, stupid college kids go on a trip to a cabin, have gratuitous sex, act immaturely and get slashed one by one," either in the woods or inside. Same boring NOTHING. I love good horror, but this cheap junk really puts me off.
Okay, so you are going to love my movie idea - 5 much older adults go camping in the woods in huge motor homes -- two retired couples and a single semi-retired overweight accountant with thick glasses who is obviously going to be killed off first. Before they get to the woods, they stop for gas, rob the teen behind the counter and then kill him by repeatedly viciously hitting him with their walkers. His brother watches from a safe area. As they sit in their portable bathtub overlooking the lake trying to determine if "the time is right" they are attacked by a teenager dressed like a character from World of Warcraft wearing a mask. He'd have a chainsaw but he doesn't want to get any grease on his underwear sticking out from his pants. There is only one teenager in the movie besides the dead one but the audience is supposed to believe the identity of the monster teenager is a mystery. We know this by the creepy rap music whenever the teen appears. Oh yeah, and the local sheriff is his father who protects him so he can keep getting more child monetary incentives from the federal government. Did I mention this was a political horror movie? Of course, in the end, the wisecracking old lady camper (there is always a wisecracking old person in a movie) is the only one who survives...until "Grey Camper Down 2" comes to a movie theater near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,957,760 times
Quote:

Today, Hollywood can't seem to get out of the "five young, stupid college kids go on a trip to a cabin, have gratuitous sex, act immaturely and get slashed one by one," either in the woods or inside. Same boring NOTHING. I love good horror, but this cheap junk really puts me off.
Thanks Friday the Thirteenth for that. That was the movie to really start the five teenagers camping trope in horror. It seems that is the way it is in b-rate horror. More modern horror is the Paranormal Activity style.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,627,938 times
Interesting concept when it comes to films. But I'd suggest it's worse when the subject of the film itself gets thrown into the tub of 'ridiculous mistakes. I put Frank Miller's 300 and Rise as examples. Certainly great topics of history but its treatment , while visually innovative, misses the whole 'gravitas' of the situation during that time in 5th century Greece. Instead what we see presented on the screen are practically speaking 'caricatures' of history. Yes, probably a very entertaining film for some. But for myself well it's a mistake!...;-)...I feel I got robbed on a great exploration of a historical event.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,653,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Okay, so you are going to love my movie idea - 5 much older adults go camping in the woods in huge motor homes -- two retired couples and a single semi-retired overweight accountant with thick glasses who is obviously going to be killed off first. Before they get to the woods, they stop for gas, rob the teen behind the counter and then kill him by repeatedly viciously hitting him with their walkers. His brother watches from a safe area. As they sit in their portable bathtub overlooking the lake trying to determine if "the time is right" they are attacked by a teenager dressed like a character from World of Warcraft wearing a mask. He'd have a chainsaw but he doesn't want to get any grease on his underwear sticking out from his pants. There is only one teenager in the movie besides the dead one but the audience is supposed to believe the identity of the monster teenager is a mystery. We know this by the creepy rap music whenever the teen appears. Oh yeah, and the local sheriff is his father who protects him so he can keep getting more child monetary incentives from the federal government. Did I mention this was a political horror movie? Of course, in the end, the wisecracking old lady camper (there is always a wisecracking old person in a movie) is the only one who survives...until "Grey Camper Down 2" comes to a movie theater near you.
Good one! Yep, that would wind me up as well!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,623,375 times
Quote:
I suggest Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. It takes the tired concept of naive college kids going into the woods and getting killed by crazed hillbillies and turns it on its head.

Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk are perfect as the well-meaning and endearing hillbillies who are just minding their own business when chaos begins to ensue.

I love this movie; its one of my favorite horror comedies of all time.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:15 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,422,727 times
In the movie 'Beyond the Law' with Charlie Sheen as an undercover cop playing a biker. He is making love with his girfriend when they knock over a freestanding lamp. Just beofre the lamp hits the floor a hand comes into the scene and catches the lamp before it hits the floor. It was a bummer because it made me move my focus to the hand instead of what I was supposed to be looking at.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,170,117 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies