Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Mistakes happen, but these mistakes may affect how you see your favorite films.

Small gaffes can be found in just about any movie. But these are mistakes that go above and beyond in their potential for ruining your viewing experience. Climactic scenes ruined, period dramas with modern technology and even crotches have become the stuff of cinematic errors.

1. The cowboy in the last scene of "Pirates of the Caribbean."

11 Ridiculous Mistakes That Will Ruin Your Favorite Movies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
I don't really see how any of those ruin a movie.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Ridiculous Mistakes That Will Ruin Your Favorite Movies
When Producers, Directors, and Special Effects People insist on ...

Sound in outer space.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Anyone for whom that ruins North By Northwest isn't much of a movie-lover.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Mistakes happen, but these mistakes may affect how you see your favorite films.

Small gaffes can be found in just about any movie. But these are mistakes that go above and beyond in their potential for ruining your viewing experience. Climactic scenes ruined, period dramas with modern technology and even crotches have become the stuff of cinematic errors.

1. The cowboy in the last scene of "Pirates of the Caribbean."

11 Ridiculous Mistakes That Will Ruin Your Favorite Movies
So let me get this straight, a pirate looking like a drag queen doesn't bother anyone but a one second "ridiculous" cowboy mistake, does?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:40 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Ruin, no. Most of those are not caused by a blatant lack of attention to detail. Cause chuckles, yes.

But a movie that didn't pay attention to detail was The Deer Hunter, where our Pennsylvania protagonists go hunting up in the craggy, snowy, evergreen-covered but bare on top mountains ... that exist nowhere in Pennsylvania. Mountains in Pennsylvania are rounded ridges covered in a mix of deciduous and evergreen trees. When I saw the movie in the theater, I burst out laughing at those scenes. Kinda ruined the moment.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Stupid plots ruin movies, period...slow pacing...bad editing...movies made for a 6th grader..
terrible acting....terrible accents, Ha, ie., Robin Hood's Kostner....my opinion.

Anyone see Pompeii...don't admit it to anyone...Keifer Southerland never will.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Ancient epics that are laughably historically implausible.

For example: Max Factor make-up on Egyptian women in The Ten Commandments; or terry cloth towels in the bath house scene in Sparticus.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Ancient epics that are laughably historically implausible.

For example: Max Factor make-up on Egyptian women in The Ten Commandments; or terry cloth towels in the bath house scene in Sparticus.
Agree. Anachronisms in film really bother me. I can't find a particular screen shot, as there are so many of them where I've seen this, but for example, in "The Reader," the student is reading to the woman from one of his school books, which looks dusty, dog-eared, and about 50 years old. It would be new!

Period movies are notorious for this. They'll show a person reading a relatively new volume of poems by Keats or some other writer of the time (though with Keats, it would be posthumously), and the book looks as old as it would today. Just makes no sense whatsoever.

A film also loses momentum very quickly for me when the phone rings...and rings...and rings...a regular feature in many '80s-'90s films, where we of course get a close-up of the phone. That incessant ringing makes me lose interest because I'm thinking, "Answer it already!" or "We get the point!" And at this point, I'm irritated.

Today, Hollywood can't seem to get out of the "five young, stupid college kids go on a trip to a cabin, have gratuitous sex, act immaturely and get slashed one by one," either in the woods or inside. Same boring NOTHING. I love good horror, but this cheap junk really puts me off.

But the anachronisms do bother me a great deal, especially with books. How hard can it be to show what would have been, in 1850, an obviously "new" volume of a book?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I think these are like Cinema Sins. I've watched a few of them and it is all about cliches or psuedo-cliches and silly comments with a snide voiceover.

As for these specific ones I saw in this list some are fairly excusable. I think some were points that happened on a long shoot. The kid covering his ears likely heard the gun go of enough that he knew it was coming. The stormtrooper issue, we see how bad stormtroopers are through out the movie so smacking their head is merely par for the course.

So long as the issues aren't big enough to take you out of the movie, I don't see the problems with these errors, cliches or Easter eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies