Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times

Advertisements

On Viet Nam, the snipers did see a lot of action protecting their team members. One of my top NCOs had been a sniper in Special Ops unit. He got the Silver Star for one of his missions.

He was a good man.

Jungle didn't matter. Just crept up an inch at a time to get in position then wait for the high value target to become visible. Then you had to get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
On Viet Nam, the snipers did see a lot of action protecting their team members. One of my top NCOs had been a sniper in Special Ops unit. He got the Silver Star for one of his missions.

He was a good man.

Jungle didn't matter. Just crept up an inch at a time to get in position then wait for the high value target to become visible. Then you had to get away.
It seems like, from what I'vs seen on The History Channel before it got to be so awful, that it was particularly challenging to be a sniper in Vietnam, because the equipment issued to snipers wasn't particularly good at the time and the top brass didn't let them operate the way they were trained to do so.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
From the book Inside The Crosshairs: Snipers in Vietnam

Quote:
At the start of the war in Vietnam, the United States had no snipers; by the end of the war, Marine and Army precision marksmen had killed more than 10,000 NVA and VC soldiers--the equivalent of an entire division--at the cost of under 20,000 bullets, proving that long-range shooters still had a place in the battlefield.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
^
Definitely. The interesting thing I'd suggest about the Viet Nam War and US snipers is that I'm not too sure sniping was used so much as to destroy morale as it did say in earlier wars like WWI when to be hit by a sniper while in a trench and presumably protected by it affected an entire army's psychological fighting capability. As the 10,000 figure shows, sniping had its place in making the NVA and VC lose soldiers and sparing American casualties in battles.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Just an off comment on the psyche of a sniper.

After watching American Sniper and seeing the intense desire to protect fellow team members reminds me of my NCO from days gone past. He was extremely protective of others, it was just part of his nature. And seeing the movie, that was an attribute portrayed of Chris Kyle.

Just wondering if we end up leveling off to jobs that suit our personality or if by going into the job we develop the personality for the job.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:55 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
^
Pretty interesting point. To be a sniper takes a certain personality in order to shoot at an enemy with stealth and to actually see the individual die. One really has to be able to handle that. Thing is how would say someone who has the qualities of a sniper do in a bomber where killing is not as 'personal'? Could the individual succeed in his missions? Really is it 'easier' to go from sniping to bombing or bombing to sniping? I'm sure one's personality and how they view the conduct of war crimes tribunal me into play there.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Finally got the answer to my question about the urine smell and the pan to the wet place. he wrote in his book he peed his pants rather than leave his post.
Good article:

“The Truth Is Unspeakable”: A Real American Sniper Unloads on “American Sniper” | Alternet

Old 02-08-2015, 07:27 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I saw the movie yesterday and what a Master piece! The ordinance stayed until the movie was over and all names and everything was shown and than they started to applaud. It was chilling and so emotional.

I can't say anything that will come close to what a great job Clint Eastwood has done making this movie and the excellent screening to hire the best actors for this movie.

Clint brought to live the struggles and reality of our military in such a real way.

Thanks to all veterans and current military for defending this great COUNTRY!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I saw the movie yesterday and what a Master piece! The ordinance stayed until the movie was over and all names and everything was shown and than they started to applaud. It was chilling and so emotional.
I hope they disposed of it properly.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:36 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I hope they disposed of it properly.
You're thinking of ordnance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies