Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:35 PM

275 posts, read 332,015 times

Advertisements

I am a huge fan of the X-men, I can't get enough of them.

Aside from the X-men, I've never really been interested in other Marvel superheroes, except Spiderman, but those movies are done by Sony, and X-Men is done by FOX.

So, I looked into other things done by Marvel such as, "S.H.I.E.L.D", and I was put off by the comedy in it, and I just recently saw the, "Avengers", movie (late I know), and it was full of comedy.

I just think that Superheroes and comedy makes the characters look foolish...I wouldn't have been surprised if someone in the movie slipped on a banana peel.

The reason I ask is because I see a lot of people who say that FOX should give Marvel the rights to X-men back, but I just can't imagine an X-men movie with comedy in it. Same with Spiderman.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Marvel movies have never done anything funnier than Christian Bale's Batvoice.

I wouldn't classify any of Marvel's movies as "comedies," with the possible exception of Guardians of the Galaxy, and even there I wouldn't go so far, though I wouldn't argue against anyone who did. Marvel movies definitely have funny parts. But then, so did the X-Men films, so did Die Hard, so did JAWS, and so did the Terminator movies. Even ALIENS was hilarious, thanks in large part to Corporal Hudson. A little comedy relief in the action is good.

That said, I would agree that Joss Whedon's attempts at humor in dialogue tend to fly like a cast iron balloon. He loves snark more than real humor, and it usually falls flat.

You should give Agents of SHIELD another try. Season 1 took a while to find its feet, but once it did, it got really good, and Season 2 has been very good so far.

As for superheroes "looking foolish," the biggest handicap there is the costumes and leotards. I mean, would you take someone dressed like Thor seriously? Or Wonder Woman? She looks like she just jumped out of Uncle Sam's birthday cake. Or even the X-Men, dressed as a circus act?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Marvel movies have never done anything funnier than Christian Bale's Batvoice.

I wouldn't classify any of Marvel's movies as "comedies," with the possible exception of Guardians of the Galaxy, and even there I wouldn't go so far, though I wouldn't argue against anyone who did. Marvel movies definitely have funny parts. But then, so did the X-Men films, so did Die Hard, so did JAWS, and so did the Terminator movies. Even ALIENS was hilarious, thanks in large part to Corporal Hudson. A little comedy relief in the action is good.

That said, I would agree that Joss Whedon's attempts at humor in dialogue tend to fly like a cast iron balloon. He loves snark more than real humor, and it usually falls flat.

You should give Agents of SHIELD another try. Season 1 took a while to find its feet, but once it did, it got really good, and Season 2 has been very good so far.

As for superheroes "looking foolish," the biggest handicap there is the costumes and leotards. I mean, would you take someone dressed like Thor seriously? Or Wonder Woman? She looks like she just jumped out of Uncle Sam's birthday cake. Or even the X-Men, dressed as a circus act?
I really didn't see any comedy in the X-men films, at least not intentional. DC tends to make more "serious" movies; I don't think Batman's voice was suppose to be intentionally funny

Old 02-10-2015, 01:27 PM

267 posts, read 352,039 times
Spider-Man is supposed to be funny and Tony Stark is full of bravado and snark. Loki is a trickster so you know... While I agree Marvel movies have a bit more of a light hearted feel to them I don't know that I would call them comedic. That all being said The ultra dark tone of DC is a bit tiring at times. Batman should be dark for sure but Superman doesn't need to be as dark. In X-Men Wolverine has quite a bit of snark himself by the way.

I appreciate the lighter fare of Marvel often times. These movies don't need to be ultra dark and gloomy to succeed

Old 02-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
I really didn't see any comedy in the X-men films, at least not intentional.
Wolverine: Hey, it's me.
Cyclops: Prove it.
Wolverine: You're a dick.
Cyclops: Okay.

Wolverine: You actually go outside in these things?
Cyclops: Well, what would you prefer? Yellow spandex?

Wolverine: There's someone here.
Cyclops: Where?
Wolverine: I don't know. Keep your eye open.

Wolverine: Magneto? Storm? Cyclops? What do they call you? Wheels?

Iceman's mom: And what do you teach, Mr. Logan?
Wolverine: Art.

You don't find that funny?

Quote:
I don't think Batman's voice was suppose to be intentionally funny
I don't think it was either. Which is why it was painfully hilarious.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM

267 posts, read 352,039 times
Quote:

bravo sir

Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
I really didn't see any comedy in the X-men films, at least not intentional. DC tends to make more "serious" movies; I don't think Batman's voice was suppose to be intentionally funny
Wolverine's middle finger, Pyro's fire playing frozen over and getting in trouble when Iceman turned it into an iceball that crashed to the ground, Wolverine and metal detectors, Quicksilver, the use of powers in X-Men: First Class and these are just off the top of my head...

Anyway, I don't think that Marvel movies aren't as serious as DC, they just have more overt jokes within the films. Captain America: The Winter Soldier had a few slight jokes but none to the extent of say The Avengers while on the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarriers.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:

Those were Whedon style context jokes that if you know the story, you laugh at but if not it's just a line.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Those were Whedon style context jokes that if you know the story, you laugh at but if not it's just a line.
No. Whedon style jokes are stuff like:

"You know what happens to a toad struck by lightning? Same thing that happens to everything else." (Not funny. In fact, painfully not funny.)

"We have a Hulk." (Not funny.)

"Does mother know thou weareth the drapes?" (Okay, that was funny.)

Whedon has a great imagination, but his dialogue is wooden and unconvincing. You can tell he spends so much time trying and trying and trying to come up with good writing. He forgot Elmore Leonard's greatest rule about dialogue: If it sound like writing, rewrite it.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Okay, yeah, I remember those lines. However, the comedy wasn't present throughout the whole movie like it was in "The Avengers", and the 2 episodes I saw of "Shield."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies