Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 11:11 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But you're right: Jeff Jones is pretty awesome too. His art looks like what might have happened had N.C. Wyeth read a lot of Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. And I mean that as a sincere compliment.
Some of his paintings were commissioned for REH's 70s paperbacks. They're stunning. I have a few in VF/NM condition.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:02 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Speaking of maxed-out photorealism, steer clear of anything Boris Vallejo's done after 1990. Holy cow. His '70s-80s work is pretty cool, though.
I never liked Vallejo's stuff. Too beefcake. All his stuff looks like Barbarian Cosplay Day at Muscle Beach.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I never liked Vallejo's stuff. Too beefcake. All his stuff looks like Barbarian Cosplay Day at Muscle Beach.
Exactly what it is. Vallejo himself is a bodybuilder.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Didn't DC already do this a few years ago? I'm pretty sure I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kMqTbJEpxqU

Old 05-12-2018, 01:15 PM

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/rum...-steel-sequel/

Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,115 times
Avengers 4 Rumors Are Swirling That One Long Lost Character May Be Brought Back

Old 05-14-2018, 01:04 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,115 times
In spite of what the critics and the naysayers of the MCU say at this forum...

The Marvel model for success

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDd1QL0i2Oc

Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
In spite of what the critics and the naysayers of the MCU say at this forum...

The Marvel model for success

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDd1QL0i2Oc
Good commentary, though I think it is wrong on a few points, first and foremost being:

When he said it is "more about brand than character." Nope. 100% wrong. Character is exactly why Marvel continues to succeed where DC fails, both in comics and in movies. And one of the biggest keys is the hero's origin.

Many super hero origins are based in trauma. They suffered some horrible event that led them into becoming a super hero. But there is a key difference between many of the DC and Marvel heroes and their trauma: Guilt.

Take a look at DC's greatest exception to their failure to do this: Batman. Why is Batman the most popular, beloved super hero on the planet? Why has he even surpassed the more heroic-on-the-surface Superman? Both of their origins are the result of trauma. Kal-El lost his entire race. Bruce Wayne lost his parents. The key difference: Bruce lost his parents and blames himself. He isn't just "out to get criminals." He is out to save his own soul.

Which is why I often say that Batman is the best "Marvel hero" DC ever produced, because this is the key that makes so many of the Marvel heroes compelling ---

Peter Parker's inaction led to the death of his Uncle Ben, and he can never forgive himself for it.

Tony Stark realized that his own narcissism and lust for wealth and power were leading to thousands of innocent people being killed, and he can never forgive himself for it.

Reed Richards talked his friends and family into a scientific experiment that failed, and now they can never be normal again. And again, he can never forgive himself for it.

Steve Rogers had a childhood filled with trauma, being a weakling who was constantly beaten and picked on. So every time he sees a bully picking on someone, it pokes the scared little boy that still lives inside him.

Bruce Banner's actions led to him turning into a rage-filled monster, so he can never trust himself to live a normal life or let his emotions go.

Norrin Radd agreed to help kill literally trillions of people in order to save his own. When he finally admitted his sin, he was punished for it by being forever separated from the woman he loves.

Too many of DC's heroes lack that inherent drama.

Yeah, Superman is the last of his kind, but he still has people who love and respect him, and he sure doesn't blame himself for Krypton's destruction. Wonder Woman was born to lead and fight. Green Lantern was simply chosen. I honestly couldn't tell you Aquaman's origin if you held a gun to my head, though it's nice to see Khal Drogo back on the screen. Again, DC's one big exception? Batman. And it is therefore no surprise that Batman has continued to be not only the world's most popular super hero, but DC's most successful film franchise. Batman isn't just the most cunning bad ass in any room at any given time, but he is haunted by his own sins, and that is compelling drama.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Too many of DC's heroes lack that inherent drama.

Yeah, Superman is the last of his kind, but he still has people who love and respect him, and he sure doesn't blame himself for Krypton's destruction.
And then Zack goes and strategically inserts a morsel of primo drama at the end of Man of Steel, and he continues to be crucified for it.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM

RIP Margot Kidder, aged 69.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.