Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
I'm not sure why you maintain that black people were seeking validation from China. At best, that's a simplistic and incomplete conclusion. It's about shattering a glass ceiling.

Conventional wisdom in Hollywood says that the overseas market has an insatiable appetite for American-made blockbusters, especially in the growing Asian markets (Hi China!). Therefore, studios aim to have at least 60% of box office revenues come from foreign markets (leave no money on the table). So in this sense, it's not unique for someone championing Black Panther to also want the film to be successful overseas.

With that said, conventional wisdom in Hollywood also says that black films are box office poison: Big budget "black" movies aren't profitable, do not have wide appeal outside of black audiences, and do not travel overseas. So when Black Panther breaks records market after market, people are curious to see how well it does in the second largest market. It's acknowledgement of a glass ceiling.
That is a fair point. You can see in the original post I was responding to that, that poster had said ‘who cares how Black Panther did in China?’ That’s why I gave my response from my perspective, but acknowledged that blacks have a different perspective. You bring up a good point about this film breaking down stereotypes about what types of movies can be profitable/successful globally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
I think it's more about the narrative. Isn't it weird how we got a few articles on the Chinese saying that the Black Panther was torture for their eyes and black Panther statues getting knocked down,etc.

Part of it is the media painting Chinese as racist towards (so called) Blacks. I'm sure Infinity War had Chinese critics but there weren't stories on it here.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I think it's more about the narrative. Isn't it weird how we got a few articles on the Chinese saying that the Black Panther was torture for their eyes and black Panther statues getting knocked down,etc.

Part of it is the media painting Chinese as racist towards (so called) Blacks. I'm sure Infinity War had Chinese critics but there weren't stories on it here.
Yes. That is what I had mentioned earlier. The fact that there was so much race-related focus on Black Panther related to how it would do in China is why I think you got a lot of those negative articles because race controversy sells. But others here have explained, it was more related to breaking down the glass ceiling and seeing how well a majority black cast film could do globally. That is a valid reason for the focus in China.

I didn’t hear anything about them knocking down Black Panther statues in China. It’s one thing if they didn’t like the film as much as other Marvel films, but if they were really knocking down statues, then that is really messed up. Maybe it really is justifiable to question their tolerance, although it may have just been a few people trying to get attention.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
To clarify on the statue thing, it was in Korea and they said that drunk people brought down some promotional statues but the narrative is skewing towards race.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
To clarify on the statue thing, it was in Korea and they said that drunk people brought down some promotional statues but the narrative is skewing towards race.

It wasn't a malicious act--just the opposite, in fact.

Apparently getting drunk and having one's picture taken with Black Panther became a short-lived "thing" in South Korea, and the publicity statues had not been built sturdily enough to be supportive lamp poles for drunks.

It was more like, "Hold my Red Horse and take my picture. Aw, shucks."

Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I saw it over the weekend. I’ve seen most of the Marvel movies, but I was pretty confused about the villain. My daughter started crying when Spider-Man/Peter Parker died. A new Spider-Man is in the works so presumably the remaining Avengers team up and managed to undo the damage.
If it is anything like the comics, the effects of the gauntlet can be undone. I don't know how or if it will, but it would. If not Spider-Man: Homecoming did backdoor us to Miles Morales through the Donald Glover character...

Old 05-22-2018, 03:35 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
To tie things back to this thread, did you like the portrayal of Thanos in Infinity War as a relatable villain, as far as his motives?

Relatable? Hmmm, no, seemed no different than any other ego maniac psychopath.

Just saw the movie today, it was ok, had some great laugh material, I must have enjoyed it more than I think I did, as it didn't feel like it ran for well over two hours. For me it was just too many people at the party without any of them excelling in any real way, that made me feel the WOW factor.

I had the whole entire theater for this particular showing to myself, that was fun.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
https://mcucosmic.com/2018/05/22/fir...rs-4-released/

Old 05-22-2018, 06:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
[/b]Relatable? Hmmm, no, seemed no different than any other ego maniac psychopath.

Just saw the movie today, it was ok, had some great laugh material, I must have enjoyed it more than I think I did, as it didn't feel like it ran for well over two hours. For me it was just too many people at the party without any of them excelling in any real way, that made me feel the WOW factor.

I had the whole entire theater for this particular showing to myself, that was fun.
The laughs weren't overdone like I felt Thor: Ragnarok was. Even though there were more than I would personally like, it was a comic event in a movie. In comic events, it is common to have that type of humor in them. Ragnarok however was hurt by continuous unnecessary laughs. The laughs here worked when they weren't overdone.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
[/b]Relatable? Hmmm, no, seemed no different than any other ego maniac psychopath.

The amount of characters was a challenge. I thought that they did a good job of balancing all of the characters, but I do agree that some of the characters had more involvement than others. Personally, I was surprised at the somewhat limited role of Captain America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies