Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 10:48 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Globally, IW has more appeal than BP for obvious reasons
I'm curious... What are the obvious reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I heard an early rumor that Avengers 4 (IW2) would begin five years after the conclusion of IW...that the world and the Avengers would have been dealing with the aftermath for years before being able to reverse it.

If that were the case, it would be very neat. Bringing everyone back five years later, rather than making it "like it never even happened" would maintain the high stakes of failure that the first part created and wouldn't be a story cheat.

OTOH, it would screw up the Spider-man sequel, so that won't happen.
And not to mention the BP sequel and the GotG sequel, which is going to feature more of guess which character?.... Gamora.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
  • considering that BP is the biggest non avengers superhero film, I don’t think anyone expected it to outgross Infinity War (A3) in terms of worldwide grosses.
  • Stateside, A3 will not outgross BP ($700mil), and will likely settle with an over/under $655mil. A3 had a $28mil fourth weekend, which is about what BP made in its fifth weekend (BP had a $40mil fourth weekend). In other words, A3 holds are not as good.
But according to daily tracking, it goes back and forth from BP to AIW. But on AIW's 24th day compared to BP's 24th day, AIW is leading with $595,032,959 compared to BP's $561,697,180:

MCU Top Openers/BY DAY NUMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
  • With a likely $2billion worldwide gross, that’s over 3x the box office of Justice League.
Justice who?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoKCT8HAZ-k

Old 05-21-2018, 05:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I'm curious... What are the obvious reasons?
I think he is referring to the cultural importance in this country of the movie having a majority black cast. That wasn't as important globally, especially in China, where people were holding their breaths to see how it would do. On these boards people spent pages and pages predicting what the success of BP would be in China. Ultimately it didn't do very well, compared to its performance in most of the rest of the world. They didn't view the cultural aspect as being important, and only judged it as a film (which had mixed reviews). Ultimately, the significance of the cultural aspect was more important here in the US, which may explain why BP is on pace to beat IW stateside but not globally, where IW has become one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:46 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
And not to mention the BP sequel and the GotG sequel, which is going to feature more of guess which character?.... Gamora.
Well, no, it would do some interesting things to the BP and GotG sequels if the survivors had spent five years dealing with everyone's absence.

It would screw up Spider-man because everyone who survived would have graduated from high school, which I don't think is the story plan.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think he is referring to the cultural importance in this country of the movie having a majority black cast. That wasn't as important globally, especially in China, where people were holding their breaths to see how it would do. On these boards people spent pages and pages predicting what the success of BP would be in China. Ultimately it didn't do very well, compared to its performance in most of the rest of the world.
Hmmm. Well, I don't know why people keep saying that... Because when I researched that topic, I found this:

Quote:
China has been the top international market for “Black Panther” with $105 million, followed by the U.K. with $62 million and South Korea with $42 million.
“Black Panther,” 10th highest grossing movie of all time

and this:

Quote:
The first superhero film with an all-black cast had a strong opening in the world's second-largest film market, scooping up $67 million in ticket sales in just three days. "Black Panther" has grossed more than $1 billion globally since its release less than a month ago.
'Black Panther' has solid debut in China on its way to $1 billion in global ticket sales

and this:

South Korea Box Office for Black Panther (2018)

Quote:
They didn't view the cultural aspect as being important, and only judged it as a film (which had mixed reviews). Ultimately, the significance of the cultural aspect was more important here in the US, which may explain why BP is on pace to beat IW stateside but not globally, where IW has become one of the highest grossing movies of all time.
Well, perhaps you're right about BP's cultural aspect in China, but from what I heard, one of the reasons why BP did so well in many of the international markets is because it appealed to people of color other than blacks, because many of them feel the same discrimination and injustices that blacks feel. And right now, I couldn't find an article pertaining to that, but I did find this article from several weeks ago:

Priyanka Chopra Says She Wasn't Offered a Film Role Because of Her Skin Color: 'It Affected Me'

Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Well, I don't know why people keep saying that... Because when I researched that topic, I found this:

“Black Panther,” 10th highest grossing movie of all time

and this:

'Black Panther' has solid debut in China on its way to $1 billion in global ticket sales

and this:

South Korea Box Office for Black Panther (2018)

Well, perhaps you're right about BP's cultural aspect in China, but from what I heard, one of the reasons why BP did so well in many of the international markets is because it appealed to people of color other than blacks, because many of them feel the same discrimination and injustices that blacks feel. And right now, I couldn't find an article pertaining to that, but I did find this article from several weeks ago:

Priyanka Chopra Says She Wasn't Offered a Film Role Because of Her Skin Color: 'It Affected Me'
Maybe the dislike in China was overhyped, but I'm referring to articles like this that came out after the BP release:

https://qz.com/1226449/a-torture-for...-is-too-black/

https://supchina.com/2018/03/22/blac...beyond-reason/

https://www.firstpost.com/entertainm...s-4388021.html

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/238...ewers-in-china

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/

That’s why people keep saying that Black Panther didn’t do well in China, which may not be entirely true, as you point out. The headlines related to race “sell” and can distort the truth. Plus many people were so curious as to how Chinese would support the film and said that it would reflect how racially tolerant they have become. Because of the huge focus on the racial significance, which led to many negative race-related press releases from China, everyone is probably incorrectly underestimating its success in China.

Ultimately, I think it ended up doing "well" in China; just not as well as in other parts of the world, and certainly not as well as Infinity War. If there hadn’t been so much focus on the racial significance of Black Panther and how it would do in China, there probably wouldn’t have been any negative race-related press, and based off the numbers people would correctly think it did pretty well in China.

Last edited by personone; 05-21-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
I think he is referring to the cultural importance in this country of the movie having a majority black cast. That wasn't as important globally, especially in China, where people were holding their breaths to see how it would do. On these boards people spent pages and pages predicting what the success of BP would be in China. Ultimately it didn't do very well, compared to its performance in most of the rest of the world. They didn't view the cultural aspect as being important, and only judged it as a film (which had mixed reviews). Ultimately, the significance of the cultural aspect was more important here in the US, which may explain why BP is on pace to beat IW stateside but not globally, where IW has become one of the highest grossing movies of all time.
China is not the world, and who really cares if a movie does well in China?

Lots of American films are not even allowed in China due to censorship.

Products, films, and companies can be very profitable despite having limited access to the Chinese marketplace (Google, Facebook, most social media companies).

Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Maybe the dislike in China was overhyped, but I'm referring to articles like this that came out after the BP release:

https://qz.com/1226449/a-torture-for...-is-too-black/

https://supchina.com/2018/03/22/blac...beyond-reason/

https://www.firstpost.com/entertainm...s-4388021.html

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/238...ewers-in-china

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/

That’s why people keep saying that Black Panther didn’t do well in China, which may not be entirely true, as you point out. The headlines related to race “sell” and can distort the truth. Plus many people were so curious as to how Chinese would support the film and said that it would reflect how racially tolerant they have become. Because of the huge focus on the racial significance, which led to many negative race-related press releases from China, everyone is probably incorrectly underestimating its success in China.

Ultimately, I think it ended up doing "well" in China; just not as well as in other parts of the world, and certainly not as well as Infinity War. If there hadn’t been so much focus on the racial significance of Black Panther and how it would do in China, there probably wouldn’t have been any negative race-related press, and based off the numbers people would correctly think it did pretty well in China.
Good points. But at the same time the racial significance had to be mentioned in the press, as most Black films had to do with slavery, civil rights, or ghetto issues. This was the first major Black majority film that dealt with neither of those issues.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:30 PM

406 posts, read 288,422 times
Quote:
So why is BP on pace to outgross Infinity War stateside, but globally IW has greatly surpassed BP? What does being a non-avengers film have to do with that phenomenon? One of the main boosts to IW is how well it has done and continues to do in China (the second biggest global movie market) in comparison to BP's comparatively poor performance there.
Avengers films feature an assemble of the most popular characters: They are expected to be the biggest films and they perform accordingly.

An over/under $100mil in China is standard for Marvel films. Assemble films do better.

Quote:
I think he is referring to the cultural importance in this country of the movie having a majority black cast.
No, he was not referring to it's cultural significance.

Last edited by the happy guy; 05-21-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies