Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2022, 09:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,093,585 times

Advertisements

Distorted
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6143850/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Beautiful photography, decent cast, but the dialogue is a bit muddled. The good thing is that it is decently easy to follow even if subtle points are missed. A 5.6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 10:29 PM

Nobody Dies
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10682318/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

That was a pretty wild movie. At first it starts off as a Hit Lady flick (why I picked it for tonight) but all of a sudden, I am in the world of a pffit! of a man, wondering what happened, how did I get here. That's what I get for walking into a movie blind. That stuck with me, to stay with the movie to figure out what's going on,to move through the movie at normal speed. It's a black humor police comedy, it is no "Killing Time" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140312/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_6 ........ but there are similarities. I'll hand it another thing in that it did clear my mind to let me find the answer of a problem in my real life. Wonderful photography, bullets flying everywhere and they do find their mark. An 8.2.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:29 AM

Cracker: The Mad Woman in the Attic (1,2)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394426/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5

Oh, that was absolutely TERRIBLE!
Spoiler
How can you be one of the good guys when you are a jack*** (in itself, not a crippler) addicted to lying and cheat on your wife and family? Why is the accused who is being tortured by the hero suddenly his friend? The cops are positively incompetent, so focused that they have the right guy that they will do anything to get him confess, grab on to any blade of grass without confirmation, it's a wonder why they didn't just plant evidence.
The thing went on and on and as the last minutes ticked down, I was left wondering if I was just looking at part 1. A 2.0.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:43 AM

19,468 posts, read 15,315,698 times
Uncharted (2022)

Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg. It was pretty fun. Lots of exciting, somewhat unique action scenes, but prepare to suspend your belief big-time.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:06 PM

Satan's School for Girls
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070633/?ref_=tt_urv

Sigh, another movie that when distributed decades later, likes to give it all away on the box cover. Ie, the link above. Fortunately, mine came in a DVD collection so I was able to go through with all the surprises, to include finding well known but unknown players then not listed in the opening credits. Well, most of the surprises for my copy was 1:13 long but imdb says it is 1:18 long. I wonder what was cut.

Moderate on the horror scale but pretty decent on the fun side. Got to love the 70s when driving V8 cars was so easy. Worth a late night look, a 5.6.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:54 PM

17,648 posts, read 22,699,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Starship Troopers is celebrating its 25th anniversary - it's still as good of a watch today as it was 25 years ago. Paul Verhoeven is such a talent.

"Mobile Infantry made me the man I am today."
Classic line.
Let's KILL Some BUGS......

Old 08-13-2022, 04:24 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,681,503 times
A clip from King Creole came through my video feed the other day, remembered it vaguely as being fairly good.

It was really good, the music is excellent, his performance of it Elvis in top form. Elvis should have made more movies like this instead of the silly stuff Tom Parker wanted, constantly trying to turn Elvis into Perry Como.

Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) is one of the best directors of the classic Hollywood era. He got a solid performance out of Elvis.

Little White Lies - Truth & Movies

Why King Creole is Elvis Presley’s best movie
This hit musical, released 60 years ago, remains the pinnacle of the American singer’s film career.
-Justine Smith
In 1958 Elvis Presley released the third and arguably best film of his career, King Creole. Set in New Orleans, Presley plays 19-year-old Danny Fisher (a role originally intended for James Dean), who is struggling to graduate from high school when he accidentally stumbles into a singing career. Directed by Michael Curtiz and co-starring Walter Matthau, the film was primarily shot on location and is embroiled in the criminal underworld behind the cabaret scene of the French Quarter. It has an atmosphere of otherness, a pervading aura of the old world in a new land.

Presley’s film career showcased more than just a singer playing at acting; here was an authentic screen presence who was rarely given the material to test those boundaries. Working with Michael Curtiz was something of a boon to his ambitions, as the Hungarian director played to Presley’s strengths.

Presley’s film career is often remembered for his omnipresent candy-coloured musicals, but there is a special kind of dark magic at work in King Creole. Of all his films, he considered King Creole his favourite and his best – and who are we to argue with the King?

PUBLISHED 8 JAN 2018

Old 08-14-2022, 09:53 AM

Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156182/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A fairly good 90 minute get away from it all horror/fantasy flick. A 7.6.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:33 AM

3,309 posts, read 3,048,733 times
"The Last Five Years" with Anna Kendrick, because I'm going to see the live play today and I wanted to understand the story and the song lyrics. I thought it was really good, although it was glaringly obvious that it was biased towards the husband's viewpoint, which makes sense because the guy who wrote it based it on his own marriage. Kind of a revenge play, in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:06 PM

Once upon a Texas Train
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095781/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Sort of The Over the Hill Gang done twice over. Too serious to be a comedy, but too loose to be that much serious, or, at the very least, half way through they decided to be serious. Still, a lot of old Western players and it did hold the attention, somehow, through out the movie. A 7.3.....if you like old Western players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies