Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I doubt Mark Millar would've gained Marvel's trust to do Civil War if the Ultimates series wasn't so huge a success.
Ultimates was a huge success. I know I'm one of the few naysayers on this front. And I'm not a complete naysayer. Parts of Ultimates I really loved (Cap, Nick Fury, the Pyms; heck, I even liked Thor, and I NEVER liked Thor in he main Marvel U). I just absolutely loathed Millar's take on the Hulk, and I thought the plot too quickly devolved into an unmotivated, silly shoot 'em up. I would compare the endings of both The Ultimates and Ultimates 2 as a comic-book attempt at a Michael Bay film --- all spectacle and no heart.

But I thought Civil War was awesome. Loved it! And I loved Millar's Ultimate X-Men as well. One of my favorite takes on the X-Men ever.

Quote:
And Brian Michael Bendis only got Ultimate Spiderman because he had such a huge success with telling stories about the human side of Daredevil.
His Daredevil was awesome. Probably my favorite writer on the character since Frank Miller. Did you read ALIAS? Speak of adult-oriented Marvel books. ALIAS was awesome. Probably one of the best things Marvel has ever done.

Quote:
But I'll stop posting about it if you find it a boring subject.
Not at all! But my Spider Sense is tingling about the displeasure of over-zealous moderators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Originally Posted by Mark S.
Quote:
Did you read ALIAS?
Of course I have.
I even read Powers published by Icon.

Quote:
But my Spider Sense is tingling about the displeasure of over-zealous moderators.
So that is what the buzzing in my head is all about?
I usually ignore it when the conversation is interesting (which could explain my many infractions).

Last edited by Tricky D; 07-24-2008 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I even read Powers published by Icon.
I've tried reading it. As much as I admire Bendis's work on other stuff, for some reason I just couldn't get into Powers. I think I may have read it out of order, which confused me. Maybe I'll try it again.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:15 PM

Powers is like Daredevil & Ult. Spidey, you have to read it in order.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Powers is like Daredevil & Ult. Spidey, you have to read it in order.
It struck me as more of an NC-17 Justice League meets film noir. I love noir, but I was never much of a Justice League fan.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I love noir, but I was never much of a Justice League fan.
It is more like the TV series the Shield but then with superpowers.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. It is more like the TV series the Shield but then with superpowers.
I think you hit on what turned me off about it. I enjoy The Shield, and I absolutely love The Wire. I love the dark, gritty realism of it. But I'm enough of a geek that I would love it if there was a show or a comic that was The Wire, with super powers --- until they put on a dorky 1950s era superhero costume. It just spoils it for me. It's like going out of your way to tell this story of dark, gritty realism --- then dressing your characters in bright-colored leotards. It would be like putting crushed ice and a pink umbrella in a good beer. Ruins it!

Two good-tasting things don't always taste good together.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
then dressing your characters in bright-colored leotards.
I just see it as way of 'mocking' the regular superhero comics, because the themes in Powers are as good as those in Daredevil or Ult. Spidey.
But hey, it's your choice (and your loss).

Maybe you are more influenced by the penciller than the writer?
I guess that if Alex Ross pencilled Powers you would also follow it.
Ross makes anything look good because of his photorealism.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are more influenced by the penciller than the writer?
Maybe. I dunno. I didn't really dislike the quality of the art. Just some of the subject matter. Going from a tough cop in a suit and tie in one panel to a cute blonde in a skirtless ballet outfit and a mask in the next... didn't work for me.

Quote:
I guess that if Alex Ross pencilled Powers you would also follow it.
Ross makes anything look good because of his photorealism.
Ick. No. I actually can't stand Alex Ross's art precisely because it is so photorealistic.

Art is meant to distill reality, not copy it. Especially in superhero comics.

Honestly, if you saw a guy dressed like Thor in the street, would you be in awe, or would you giggle? I'd giggle.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Honestly, if you saw a guy dressed like Thor in the street, would you be in awe, or would you giggle? I'd giggle.
And this is precisely why I would portray the superheroes in bright-coloured leotards; they are acting out their teenage power fantasies ( BTW I suggest you check out Mark Millar's Kick-Ass!).
Besidez, the superheroes are the bright white lights while the normal police detectives are the dark shadows in this Dark Noire comic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies