Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 11:31 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Best List ever. I've seen 12 Monkeys 5 times...I can't get tired of it!
Just finished Das Boot...funny story:
In the 80s I had to leave the theater before the END!!!! LOL
Just saw the end a month ago 2023!!
Every moment in Das Boot is depressing.

Spoiler

Spoiler
They go through abosolute hell and you are sure they are going to die time and again. Then, just when you manage a ray of hope that they will survive the war, BAM! they are suddenly killed and in a way you would never have suspected for a submarine crew. Just brutal.

Movies like Schindler's List and Das Boot are a one and done for me. They are just too painful for a re-watch. Once in a lifetime is more than enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I told a friend, "Don't you EVER make me watch a movie like that again!"
I'm a delicate flower.

PS I also should not have seen Dumbo and Bambi so young...my mom didn't know ...
It's Disney that should have warned parents, imo.

I recall watching Dumbo but not Bambi. I wonder if it was so traumatic, I have blocked it out of my consious mind. I mean, I am pretty sure I saw every Disney kids movie made before 1970 like Toby Tyler, Swiss Family Robinson, and Follow Me Boys, right up to all of those goofy movies like Flubber and the Shaggy Dog.

I must have seen Bambi but for the life of me, I can't remember it.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
I agree. Yeller's savage attack by the wild pigs, and eventually his tragic death, are too much for young children to handle emotionally. It's hard enough to view it as an adult, but for kids ... no way, ever.
The Disney movie that ruined me was Fantasia. I must have seen it when I was 4 or 5 years old.

I was absolutely terrified for Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice, when I thought he would be drowned in the rising water the animated brooms continued to dump. Mickey Mouse was as real to me at 4 years old as my own parents. That scene flat terrified me.

It gets worse.

My father had an album of the Fantasia sound track and he used to get a kick out of how terrified I became every time I heard the score for the Sorcerer's Apprentice. My mother appreciated how badly that song scared me, but that fact was lost on my father until decade's later. He was later remorseful, but at the time, he thought it was hilarious how terrified I would become hearing the song for the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I just have no clue how that fact could be lost on him. I really don't. I mean, I about turned white and went into hiding any time he played it. I don't see how he could think that was funny.

He wasn't a mean man and he wasn't trying to hurt me. I just have no clue how he could have not understood how that song terrified me, knowing that Mickey Mouse had almost died in that shocking incident.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, yeah, there is THAT. But I don't see that as how the movie ends. More as a triumph of the human spirit over the worst conditions, contrasted against the horror of realizing one's best friend has been given a lobotomy. If it had just ended with Chief realizing McMurphy had a lobotomy and cut to the credits, I would agree with you.

Same reason one of my top favorite movies is Alive!, about the 1970 plane crash in the Andes. To some people, it's nothing but the movie where the survivors eat the dead, a small part of the whole story. To me, it's My God, they survived and made it out against all odds.

We can also keep in mind that Mac is an extremely violent man pretending to be crazy to get out of prison. Lobotomy back in those days is a risk of playing that game. He can be a sympathetic character, but he's not really a nice guy to begin with. Kind of like Eric in Phantom of the Opera. We feel bad that he's a sad, deformed creature who fell in love with someone he can never have, but he's still a murderer.

Anyway, Cuckoo is one of the best films out there because there are so many complicated facets, and it has withstood the test of time.
Cuckoos Nest is also one of a tiny handful of films that precisely captures every detail and nuance of a brilliant novel. Very few movies did that. Catch-22 and The Godfather come to mind. Gregory Peck's, To Kill a Mockingbird did a good job of it. It took Lord of the Rings a full trilogy to do that, but managed.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Just finished Promising Young Woman
Very black revenge comedy/drama w/Carey Mulligan, Jennifer Coolidge, Alison Brie, Alfred Molina, Bo Burnham, Chris Lowell

Old 03-27-2023, 11:55 AM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember when Lion King came out, I think it was Roger Ebert's review that included the remark, "Well, it wouldn't be a Disney movie without parental death."
Imagine if the characters in The Lion King were real-life humans instead of cute cartoon animals, and kept the same story. The movie would probably be rated R.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Imagine if the characters in The Lion King were real-life humans instead of cute cartoon animals, and kept the same story. The movie would probably be rated R.
The Lion King is Hamlet basically

Old 03-27-2023, 12:05 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Did anyone mention Joy Luck Club?

Man, I cried and cried and cried watching that movie.

It's about a Chinese Immigrant mother, and her state-side Americanized daughter. They're always at each other, and the mother has high standards for the daughter, and the daughter always feels like she's not good enough for the mother. That's all I say about it. It's so good, but it's sad.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:30 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Cuckoos Nest is also one of a tiny handful of films that precisely captures every detail and nuance of a brilliant novel. Very few movies did that. Catch-22 and The Godfather come to mind.
THE GODFATHER is one of the greatest American movies ever made. I actually hated the novel. Badly written and ineptly plotted. Coppola polished that bit of coal into a diamond.

Quote:
Gregory Peck's, To Kill a Mockingbird did a good job of it.
Agreed. The movie cut out a lot of the novel, but what it did keep, it adapted quite well.

Quote:
It took Lord of the Rings a full trilogy to do that, but managed.
I love THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies. Did they perfectly capture the novel? Nope. The movies captured a lot really well. They even improved on Tolkien in a few bits. (The death of Boromir. The battle of Helm's Deep. The Fall of Isengard. Arwen as a character.) But they also left out a lot and severely fumbled some other bits. (Faramir as a character. Lots of the travel logistics make no sense. Galadriel turning into the T-1000. The Scouring of the Shire.)

Old 03-27-2023, 08:49 PM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Most depressing but good? Took me 4 times to actually watch it. I couldn't make through the fist 20 mminutes, it was depressing.
About Schmidt.
ending could have been better yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies