Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 01:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 617,892 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I finished watching "The Champ" with Jon Voight, Faye Dunaway, and Ricky Schroder which I had never seen before. I highly recommend the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 03:24 PM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Schindlers List - once was enough
Terms of Endearment - my mom was dying of cancer
Brian's Song

Old 05-01-2023, 11:09 AM

1,199 posts, read 617,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I don't make a habit of watching movies that are depressing, so other's might find this one not so depressing, but it does hit home with me.

Glengarry Glen Ross.

Spoiler
"Coffee's for closers".

That last image of Shelly "The Machine" Levene sitting alone, waiting to talk to the detectives who are investigating the office theft, the weight of the world upon him, knowing that not only is he going down, his ill daughter residing in a long term health care facility will be put out onto the street due to his failure.
I don't know why but I didn't care for Glengarry Glen Ross. I watched it yesterday and even though the acting was fantastic I didn't care for the storyline. I didn't find it depressing but slow moving. Perhaps if I was in a different line of business it would have made a difference, I'm not sure.

I would recommend it just for the acting alone with all the wonderful actors, Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, etc.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:06 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I recall watching Dumbo but not Bambi. I wonder if it was so traumatic, I have blocked it out of my consious mind. I mean, I am pretty sure I saw every Disney kids movie made before 1970 like Toby Tyler, Swiss Family Robinson, and Follow Me Boys, right up to all of those goofy movies like Flubber and the Shaggy Dog.

I must have seen Bambi but for the life of me, I can't remember it.
It's actually Follow Me, Boys!

I don't think I've heard anyone mention that movie since the 1960s.

I may have seen other movies before that in a theater, but that is one of the first ones I remember seeing in a theater.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
What movies that are depressing but compel you to think about serious questions are your most memorable?

In no particular order, these are mine:

Haulout (recent short documentary)
The Cove
Blackfish
[yes, the above three are of related themes]
Jacob’s Ladder
Mystic River
Osage County, August
In the Bedroom
II've only seen the last three (and it's actually August: Osage County)

All three memorable and good, and yes all three are depressing.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Million Dollar Baby
Sounder
The Misfits
Burnt By The Sun
Anna Karenina
Splendor In The Grass
To Live
The Professional
Manchester By The Sea
Mystic River

That’s just off of the top of my head… too many to list.
When there is a movie that gets a lor of critical acclaim, I often agree, but Manchester By The Sea was not one of those movies for me.

I've seen all of the others except Burnt By The Sun and To Live, and I would agree.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Lilya 4-Ever (2002) - human trafficking in Europe
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - failed relationship
The White Ribbon (2009) - the birth of fascism in Germany
The Pianist (2002) - Holocaust
Haven't seen Lilya 4-Ever nor The White Ribbon.

The other two yes, depressing but good.

I might be a club of one, but I think The Pianist is one of the best movies ever made.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Born on the Fourth of July
A female friend of mine who is pretty easy on the eyes and 20 years younger than Kovic (and who ended up becoming a clinical psychologist) became friends with Kovic in the early 90s. Quite an interesting guy.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1. Testament (the one starring Jane Alexander from the 1980s) - It's about a small California suburban town where the people die off gradually from nuclear fallout. The actual attack is not shown on camera. Kevin Costner has a small role as does William Devane and Rebecca DeMornay. Lukas Haas, as a small child, steals the movie. Kids die a slow death. Most depressing movie I ever saw and also one of the best.

2. Fail Safe (early 1960s) - The original one with Henry Fonda as The President. The US accidently bombs Russia and to avoid nuclear war, the President shockingly decides to bomb NYC, where his wife is visiting. That's how it ends. I saw it in the movie theater as a kid and I still haven't gotten over it.

3. Gallipoli (early 1980s) - An early Mel Gibson Australian movie about the friendship of two runners during a time of war with a spectacularly frustrating and depressing ending foreshadowed by the depressing but beautiful Adagio in G Minor which always signals to me, a lot of death is coming.

4. The Boy in The Striped Pajamas - You dread how it's going to end. That doesn't make it any less depressing.
Have only seen Gallipoli (and I saw it in a theater), and I agree with your paragraph.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Precious immediately popped into my head.

Also, Sophie's Choice.

Also, House of Sand and Fog.

Also, Leaving Las Vegas.

August: Osage County

And finally, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, which was so unnecessarily sad that it made me mad! It was fiction, for goodness' sake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies