Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 09:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,937,406 times

Advertisements

My husband is watching the newer version of Catch 22
Dark humor and depressing anti-war movie but totally different effect from say All Quiet on the Western Front
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 11:40 PM

996 posts, read 549,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The most depressing but good movie I have ever seen is, The Road.
Yeah, very depressing.
Also, Leaving Las Vegas. Very moving but very very sad. "I dont remember if I started drinking because my wife left me or if my wife left me because I started drinking. But f it anyway!"

Old 04-18-2023, 08:24 AM

62 posts, read 46,669 times
The Grey with Liam Neeson
Very though-provoking and hard-hitting, but no doubt depressive as well...

Old 04-20-2023, 06:31 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,436,918 times
I don't make a habit of watching movies that are depressing, so other's might find this one not so depressing, but it does hit home with me.

Glengarry Glen Ross.

Spoiler
"Coffee's for closers".

That last image of Shelly "The Machine" Levene sitting alone, waiting to talk to the detectives who are investigating the office theft, the weight of the world upon him, knowing that not only is he going down, his ill daughter residing in a long term health care facility will be put out onto the street due to his failure.

Last edited by djmilf; 04-20-2023 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Added Show/Hide because of spoiler

Old 04-20-2023, 06:52 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,152,297 times
Tame compared to today's standards "On the Beach" spooked me as a kid back in the 60s. Parents putting their kids to sleep permanently so they would not suffer was disturbing. Spielberg's movie "AI" I thought was a very sad movie.....poor robot.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:00 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,152,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I could not watch Million Dollar Baby again; way too depressing if only for the realism (some might call it injustice) of the narrative: despite sincere ambition and hard work, the protagonist does not triumph (or, eve, survive). And, unlike other stories where there is some kind of redemption in death, there’s just death for the million dollar baby.

Splendor In The Grass is depressing but bittersweet because of, again, the realism: repressive, well-meaning parents who destroy true love because they think that they know better than their children (but don’t). Everything works out in the end—the kids move on and create lives for themselves—but only after leaving their small town and their parents’ toxic control. Ultimately, Deannie and Bud’s love is unable to overcome small town social mores. True love does not triumph.

I completely agree re: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, as it follows a narrative similar to that of the above movies: a protagonist that the audience is rooting for does not triumph over evil so that we are left feeling a great sense of injustice after the film.
Perhaps not....The American Indian in the movie is compelled by (Jack Nicholson) to bust out of his shell and throws the water device threw the barred window and leaves the cuckoo's nest, I think after kicking someone's ass.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:31 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,960 times
djmilf, out of the many insults and put-downs in “Glengarry Glen Ross”, the most scathing is “You company man.”
That”s about the dirtiest thing you could call anyone, in my opinion.

Back to the topic:
All the suggestions listed so far are weak tea compared to “Threads”, a 1984 BBC production. Watch it here for free:
https://youtu.be/vb32oyaS99M

Old 04-20-2023, 07:47 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,779,309 times
Chinatown was depressing. The ending.

Old 04-22-2023, 05:52 AM

17,638 posts, read 17,737,917 times
Of Mice and Men
The Grapes of Wrath
Bridge to Terabithia
The Fritz Lang movie M
Anime movies “Your Name” and “a silent voice”
https://flickside.com/saddest-anime-movies/

Pan’s Labyrinth
Glory

Old 04-22-2023, 06:52 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,779,309 times
Don't know if it's a good movie. But The Night Porter was depressing. Or maybe it was more disturbing. Anyway, I regret having watched it. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies