Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 10:24 AM

1,719 posts, read 731,550 times

Advertisements

"Old Yeller." Good, happy movie -- but with a very sad fate for the marvelous dog. Makes me cry every time I watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 10:52 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I could not watch Million Dollar Baby again; way too depressing if only for the realism (some might call it injustice) of the narrative: despite sincere ambition and hard work, the protagonist does not triumph (or, eve, survive). And, unlike other stories where there is some kind of redemption in death, there’s just death for the million dollar baby.

Splendor In The Grass is depressing but bittersweet because of, again, the realism: repressive, well-meaning parents who destroy true love because they think that they know better than their children (but don’t). Everything works out in the end—the kids move on and create lives for themselves—but only after leaving their small town and their parents’ toxic control. Ultimately, Deannie and Bud’s love is unable to overcome small town social mores. True love does not triumph.

I completely agree re: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, as it follows a narrative similar to that of the above movies: a protagonist that the audience is rooting for does not triumph over evil so that we are left feeling a great sense of injustice after the film.
Really? I found the ending of Cuckoo's Nest uplifting. Chief is inspired to escape and takes his friend's spirit along. McMurphy was never going to have a good outcome no matter what had he lived, lobotomy or not.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:59 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Any mention Seven yet?
Hmm. But as devastating as it was for the Brad Pitt character, there's a darkly amusing side to the whole head-in-the-box-delivered-by-courier scene, at least from Kevin Spacey's point of view, that sort of counterbalaces the horror of it. I wouldn't call that depressing.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:13 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? I found the ending of Cuckoo's Nest uplifting. Chief is inspired to escape and takes his friend's spirit along. McMurphy was never going to have a good outcome no matter what had he lived, lobotomy or not.
The issue is that one does hope that McMurphy will overcome. Chief or no Chief, I despair when a movie ends with a forced lobotomy.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:49 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Melancholia (2011)
Finally, someone who's seen a Lars von Trier movie

Melancholia's got to be the most depressing movie ever, but I've never seen Antichrist. Someone who makes depressing movies like von Trier calls it part of his Depression trilogy! Von Trier came up with the plot during therapy for his depression.
Dancer in the Dark is awfully high up there too.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:59 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Finally, someone who's seen a Lars von Trier movie

Melancholia's got to be the most depressing movie ever, but I've never seen Antichrist. Someone who makes depressing movies like von Trier calls it part of his Depression trilogy! Von Trier came up with the plot during therapy for his depression.
Dancer in the Dark is awfully high up there too.
As I said earlier in this thread:

A depressing but good movie: Melancholia (2011). Its name is a synonym for depression: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A movie about depression written and directed by a man who suffers from clinical depression.

A huge rogue planet named Melancholia (depression) collides with planet earth leaving nothing behind but dust and rubble.

A two part movie about a woman, played by Kirsten Dunst, who is afflicted with severe depression. The first part, when conditions are fairly normal, she appears to be mentally ill. The second part, when the end of the world is imminent, and things become extremely stressful, her behavior changes and she copes with the situation better than the “normal” people.

In real life, similar things have happened. Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark Expedition suffered from severe depression for most of his life. However, during the harrowing and stressful expedition, he changed and performed extremely well. When the expedition ended and he returned to routine life, he eventually committed suicide.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I was 6 seeing Old Yeller in the theater ---I consider it was child abuse now.
Sorry, I do. I was freaking SIX.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Monster (2003) About serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

Charlize Theron's performance as Aileen is incredible.

The details of Aileen's life from childhood to killer are extremely depressing. You can see how she became a killer of certain men.

Monster is also the name of her favorite carnival ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq70...WorleyClarence

Old 03-24-2023, 05:50 PM

1,200 posts, read 619,478 times
Tess (of the d'Urbervilles) with Nastassja Kinski

Old 03-24-2023, 06:00 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Monster (2003) About serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

Charlize Theron's performance as Aileen is incredible.

The details of Aileen's life from childhood to killer are extremely depressing. You can see how she became a killer of certain men.

Monster is also the name of her favorite carnival ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq70...WorleyClarence
This was tough to watch but worth watching. Good suggestion.

My favorite- Road To Perdition. Grim, grey and serious, the movie outlines the concept of human dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies