Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 06:24 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Newsmax.TV - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
This sounds like a tragic story. Will it be a t v or theater movie? The stoning of women is savage and vicious punishment and is carried out in the name of islam. This behavoir is inhuman regardless where it takes place. Sharia law needs to change.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 PM

the stoning of soraya m - Google Search

I googled it and came up with these pages. It's a book as well as a movie. You can see the trailer on google. The movie won't be shown in all cities or theatres. Not sure why. I hope to see it when it comes out on rental. It hasn't come to our city.

Based on an incredible true story, this powerful tale of a village's persecution of an innocent woman becomes both a daring act of witness and a compelling parable about mob rule. Who will join forces with the plot against her, who will surrender to the mob, and who will dare to stand up for what's right. It is both a classic fable of good and evil and an inspiring tribute to the many fighting against injustice around the world, THE STONING OF SORAYA M. was a rousing runner-up to SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE as the Audience Favorite at the Toronto Film Festival.

Academy Award® nominee Shohreh Aghdashloo (HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG) stars in the heroic role of Zahra, an Iranian woman with a burning secret. When a journalist (Jim Caviezel, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, DÉJÀ VU) is stranded in her remote village, she takes a bold chance to reveal what the villagers will stop at nothing to keep hidden.

Thus begins the remarkable account of what happened to Soraya (Mozhan Marnò), a kind, spirited woman whose bad marriage leads her cruel, divorce-seeking husband to conspire against her, trumping up charges of infidelity, which carry an unimaginable penalty. Moving through a minefield of scheming, lies and deceit, Soraya and Zahra will attempt to prove Soraya's innocence in a legal system stacked against her. But when all else fails, Zahra will risk everything to use the sole weapon she has left - the fearless, passionate voice that can share Soraya's story with a shocked world.

THE STONING OF SORAYA M. is inspired by Paris-based journalist Freidoune Sahebjam's acclaimed international best-seller of the same name which, rife with intrigue and moral outrage, first brought global attention to the real Soraya, who in 1986 was buried to her waist in her hometown square and stoned by her fellow villagers.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Men can be stoned, too, but I don't think any men undergo honor killings. (Warning: these are just thumbnail images, but some of them are graphic.)

While I admire its message, I am not sure I will see this movie, because I read that the stoning is included in the film.
The oppression and downright barbarism women suffer in certain regions of the world is bad enough without a cinematic treatment of it.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
What I find even more disturbing about this kind of misogyny is that other women condone and participate in it.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Might be they are afraid they will be next if they don't go along. I can see how some women would feel superior and think it is ok when they are not the target though.

I am just happy to be Christian and taught all this crap is wrong. No killing for those reasons are right.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 PM

Newsmax.com - Movie&#39s Spotlight on Stoning Death Brings Abuse Out of Shadows (http://www.newsmax.com/kessler/stoning_death_movie/2009/06/19/227045.html - broken link)

Washington Insider with Ronald Kessler

RSShttp://www.newsmax.com/images/layout/bullet_red.gif (broken link)ARCHIVEPrint Page | Forward Page | E-mail Us
Movie's Spotlight on Stoning Death Brings Abuse Out of Shadows

Friday, June 19, 2009 10:29 AM

By: Ronald Kessler Article Font Size http://www.newsmax.com/images/layout/minus.jpg (broken link) http://www.newsmax.com/images/layout/plus.jpg (broken link)
Several men in a small town in Iran pick up stones and tap them together in a drumbeat as they crowd around a young woman who has been buried to her waist. Her father denounces her and throws the first stone. Then her husband and her two sons pelt her with stones.
When the woman, Soraya, is soaked with her own blood and appears dead, her husband, Ali, stoops to peer at her. Noticing a slight eye movement, he takes a large stone and throws it at her head. Finally, Soraya is dead.
This is the true story depicted in the movie “The Stoning of Soraya M.,” which hits select theaters June 26.

Based on a nonfiction book by French-Iranian journalist Freidoune Sahebjam, the film shows how village elders ordered Soraya’s stoning under Islamic Shariah law based on trumped-up charges that she engaged in adultery.
Her husband had fabricated the charges because he wanted to marry a 14-year-old girl but didn't want to support two households.
Stephen McEveety, producer of “The Passion of the Christ,” was hooked when he saw the script.
“There’s abuse going on all over the world,” he told me at a reception at the Agraria restaurant in Washington after a screening of the film. “But this is the worst case.”
Yet, as McEveety points out, the movie also depicts the courage of Soraya’s aunt Zahra, who defended her, risking her own life to denounce those who falsely accused her niece.
“Nobody stands up for this woman except for her aunt,” McEveety said. “But all it takes is one person to stand up and do what’s right.”
Soraya’s aunt, played by the Iranian actress Shohreh Aghdashloo, told the book author about the 1986 episode to make sure the story got out.
Her “whole desire, after being unable to prevent this stoning, was to make sure the world found out about it, and here we are, a Hollywood film company, telling the whole world about this story,” McEveety said.
Although Iran’s head of judiciary has declared moratoriums twice on execution by stoning, the practice of meting out such barbaric sentences continues, as it has in a number of other counties with large Muslim populations.
Even though we can guess the outcome, every minute of the movie is gripping. It speaks to us on a number of levels, bringing to mind a panoply of thoughts:
How can men be so cruel and evil?

How can mob hysteria and intimidation so completely replace human decency?

How can women’s rights be so totally subjugated?

And finally, how can so many Americans seem ungrateful for the freedom we have?
Because of the broad range of issues the movie raises, conservatives such as Grover Norquist of Americans for Tax Reform and liberals like Human Rights Watch are supporting efforts to publicize it.
The movie, as directed by Cyrus Nowrasteh, is not a screed against the Islamic religion. Although it exposes violence rooted in religious fervor, the heroine, Zahra, is a Muslim who tells Ali that “God is watching” as he concocts lies. As she helps the journalist escape with her story recorded on a cassette, she shouts “God is great!” to nearby villagers in Kupayeh.
McEveety, who produced the film through his Mpower Pictures, scheduled the movie to come out just after the Iranian presidential election. Given the upheaval in Iran since that election, the timing turned out to be brilliant. Shows such as CNN’s "Larry King Live" have been scrambling for interviews with the charming and articulate star Aghdashloo.
But the movie’s message transcends politics. McEveety wants people who watch the movie to search their souls and stand up against injustice wherever they see it.
“For me, it’s about victims and the abuse of women, which doesn’t only happen in Iran, but in our own back yards,” he says.
As McEveety observes with some understatement, this is a “tough film.” That’s why it will not be distributed as widely as most commercial films. But “The Stoning of Soraya M.” is as powerful and important a film as any I have seen.

Ronald Kessler is chief Washington correspondent of Newsmax.com. View his previous reports and get his dispatches sent to you free via
e-mail. Go here now.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Might be they are afraid they will be next if they don't go along. I can see how some women would feel superior and think it is ok when they are not the target though.

I am just happy to be Christian and taught all this crap is wrong. No killing for those reasons are right.
I don't think you have to be Christian to be taught that this is wrong; not every Muslim approves of it either.
But whatever. I agree that it is unfortunate that other women go along with stoning, female circumcision, many practices which we in the west consider barbaric--of course some of our ways might seem outlandish to them.
Perhaps the movie will open some eyes. I doubt that the villagers who take part in stonings will be heading down to the local cinema to see it. But maybe some good change will come from this film.

Janelle, I don't think you are supposed to post entire articles; the link will suffice.
Did you see this at the end of Kessler's column?
© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM

It's ok to post an article if you show the source. It's when people C&P and leave the author out that it gets to be trouble. They don't want their articles passed around without their name on it. Plus, I am sure this author wants as many people as possible to be aware of this practice so they can work against it and get it stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies