Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,953,137 times

Advertisements

On the one hand, I love thinking about this sort of thing, but on the other hand, it seems pretty futile to me. I certainly am not in touch enough with the pulse of things to know the answer, if it can even be known.

In some ways, music has changed more slowly in the last couple decades than I would have expected. (What has changed radically, as so many others have pointed out, is the way music is distributed and consumed.)

With the internet allowing us to know more and more about what is happening and what has happened throughout the rest of the world, I don't think we have really even scratched the surface of what that cross-fertilization could produce, but it would possibly be wishful thinking on my part to say that we will see a massive expansion of such hybrids in the coming decade.

I think I can safely predict there will be a lot more commercially successful and/or critically acclaimed music that I won't like, however; and like loose cannon I will just go off and find the stuff that I like, new or old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,535,020 times
Unfortunately, hair metal will be considered "classic rock" and people will start getting nostalgic for that music, so you'll start hearing this music instead of better classic stuff from the 60's - early 70's (already happening, but it's going to be even more that way in the next few years).

Old 12-07-2009, 12:04 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,860,900 times
Whatever is popular, you can rest assured that most of it will stink. Most pop music is garbage.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,103,078 times
I think there will be a boon of guitar oriented rock in about 2-5 years, but what form it will take I don't know, perhaps an "arena rock" revival.

80s music and 80s "hair metal" has been at the forefront for several years now, I believe it has already peaked for the moment.

I would predict more bluegrass influence in country.

No opinion on other genres right now

Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,841,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Unfortunately, hair metal will be considered "classic rock" and people will start getting nostalgic for that music, so you'll start hearing this music instead of better classic stuff from the 60's - early 70's (already happening, but it's going to be even more that way in the next few years).
But hasn't hair metal been considered classic rock for quite some time now? Especially considering the fact that current rock sounds NOTHING like 70s/80s rock.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,135,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
But hasn't hair metal been considered classic rock for quite some time now? Especially considering the fact that current rock sounds NOTHING like 70s/80s rock.
basically, 1989 and 1992 rock are worlds apart, while 1992 rock and 2009 rock is basically the same. pretty amazing!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,020,385 times
By that time, 90s nostalgia will hit a focal point, causing a brief resurgence of "Grunge". IMO

Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,582,526 times
I think we are seeing signs of an 80's pop revival which is okay if the instrumentation is done smoothly. Hopefully we will have more singers, instead of folks just speaking over a beat lol!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,626,034 times
The age of the musical superstar is over, IMHO. The problem is that as a nation we're too ADD to really ever recreate the kind of hype an artist like The Beatles or Michael Jackson had. Before the internet, a musican had the benefit of radio being a monopoly and hence the staying power of songs/records was far more potent.

Nowanddays, we hear one song on Monday and it's old news by Friday. Not just in music, but in all areas of art, it's more about the "Scene" and how "Up-to-date" you are than the actual content of the art itself. I think this psychologically plays into the decline of artistic quality. Why create something generational and innovative only for it to be drowned out by a billion other files next week.

Trends and movements don't just "happen". They evolve through parties, word-of-mouth, and the street, things that aren't as potent now that everyone is content to sit behind a computer desk.

As an aside, I don't think the music scene will undergo any genuine changes in the 2010s. The latter half of gen Y will be coming up and they've largley been weened on Souljia Boy and Auto-Tune. People will still try to bring back various sounds from the past with varying success. What is tragic is that people's preoccuaption with fame over talent means doing the necessary exploration and risk to create something completely new has dwindled away.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM

52,745 posts, read 48,100,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What does everybody think the trends will be in popular music during the 2010s? When 2019 rolls around, what do you think the music scene will look like? I expect to see more changes in musical style than we saw during the 2000s, which was pretty much just an evolution of 1990s trends. By 2019, Generation Z will have become the dominant consumers of popular culture and with that I believe will be new types of music. I also think the 2010s will see the decline of rap/hip hop though I have no idea yet as to what will replace it. Any thoughts?

I'm hoping what we get will be better than what we have right now. It's a frightening thought when you think about what might come next. But my feeling is that people have run out of ideas, so we'll see. Hopefully, country will focus on rock less and bring back the steel guitar. A modern country sound for today is possible, but somebody's got to lead that charge --- the right way. As for the hip-hop and rap thing, I hope it just goes away forever and we see a return to good R&B for a change. And who knows what new rock-and-roll idea they'll think of next? And another thing: What will radio stations play?

We'll just find out shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music