Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 AM

191 posts, read 144,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Here's the videos for the Black Keys' two knew singles. They have a new album dropping on the 18th. I love these videos BTW. They make me laugh.

YouTube - The Black Keys - Tighten Up

YouTube - The Black Keys - Next Girl
Thanks,

I didnt find out about them until a year or so ago. Havent heard all of their stuff yet but really like at elast 90% of their songs that I have heard.

Here are the ones I have on my iPod now:
Brooklyn Bound
Girl is on my Mind
Busted
Psychotic Girl
Hurt Like Mine
Heavy Soul
I got Mine
I'll Be Your Man
If you see me
The Lengths
Set You Free
No Trust
Meet me in the city
10AM Automatic
Your Touch
Til I Get My Way
Thickfreakness
Strange Desire
Strange Times

I've got to take some time and get the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 06:08 AM

191 posts, read 144,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
dude the black keys are where it's at.....Brothers is seriously poised for mainstream success I believe. They took their grittiness and mixed it with a a funkier more mainstream friendly sound but still sound excellent. they are like music anyone can enjoy.

Yeah. I'm glad I found them because, if it wasnt for them and, say, the White Stripes I dont know if there are any other 2000's bands I even like.

Would definitely love to see them get more and more play time and hopefully influence other bands to start making music along those lines.

I dont listen to the radio that much but I have never heard them get played before. The only time I have heard them other than from my iPod is on some TV shows (Eastbound and Down uses a few Black Keys songs)

The White Stripes too. Love Ball and Biscuit, Death Letter Blues, When I hear My Name, Icky Thump, then of course some of their more popular ones.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 PM

503 posts, read 710,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanMan View Post
Yeah. I'm glad I found them because, if it wasnt for them and, say, the White Stripes I dont know if there are any other 2000's bands I even like.

Would definitely love to see them get more and more play time and hopefully influence other bands to start making music along those lines.

I dont listen to the radio that much but I have never heard them get played before. The only time I have heard them other than from my iPod is on some TV shows (Eastbound and Down uses a few Black Keys songs)

The White Stripes too. Love Ball and Biscuit, Death Letter Blues, When I hear My Name, Icky Thump, then of course some of their more popular ones.
well i mean that,I think the song off their new album might get play.....love the stripes and the keys.awesome bands.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:27 AM

19 posts, read 53,301 times
Seems that all of you are lost. The dominating genres of the decade are and still will be the Electropop & Dancepop, as well as Synthpop, ElectroHop, Electro-House & Discopop, almost everything about music is Pop and catchy songs combining them with any electronic sound genre which makes the genres to be called like 'ElectronicSound+Pop/or other sub genre' such as I wrote above^^^. Everything from now will be electronic, and enjoy it because maybe it will never be another decade like the Disco from the 70's, the Hi-Nrg from the 80's and the Techno from the early 90's. From the half of the 90's & almost the entire 00's brought us new electronic genres but were not too huge in popularity, at the same time the electronic genres from the 00's were very helpful to influence the nowadays electronic sounds. Since late 00's Urban music is deeply in transition into Electro and Dance music, Rock music is slowly (but we can see) in transition into Soft and Country-Folk music. I think in a few years/middle or at the end of the 10's the music will still be electronic but more dreamy, futuristic and like fantasy lyrics......I think rock music will be replaced by world beats, ambient & seasonal melodies, just speculating how the nowadays trends can become in some years.

Last edited by pericko; 05-29-2010 at 04:21 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,111,447 times
Quote:
Thanks,

I didnt find out about them until a year or so ago. Havent heard all of their stuff yet but really like at elast 90% of their songs that I have heard.

Here are the ones I have on my iPod now:
Brooklyn Bound
Girl is on my Mind
Busted
Psychotic Girl
Hurt Like Mine
Heavy Soul
I got Mine
I'll Be Your Man
If you see me
The Lengths
Set You Free
No Trust
Meet me in the city
10AM Automatic
Your Touch
Til I Get My Way
Thickfreakness
Strange Desire
Strange Times

I've got to take some time and get the rest of them.
I too like the Black keys and the White Stripes but I love the heartless Bastards and the Greenhornes. Those not familiar check em out

From there 2009 album the Mountain

YouTube - Heartless Bastards *Nothing Seems the Same* Stubbs SXSW

and I just love the Greenhorne sound.

YouTube - The Greenhornes - Shelter of Your Arms

Old 08-07-2010, 08:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,647,184 times
Quote:
Check out the Black Keys. Just 2 people. The guitarist isnt awesome or anything but they just have some very good, crunchy blues riffs. No shredding or anything, though. I love 'em.
and the Jim Jones Revue, currently touring the US:

YouTube - ‪Jim Jones Revue - Princess and the Frog‬‎

YouTube - ‪Jim Jones Revue Cement Mixer/Fish 2 Fry‬‎

Hopefully there will be a big blues-rock comeback with the Black Keys and the Jim Jones Revue and others!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:20 PM

503 posts, read 710,787 times
I think it's so awesome how since my initial post on this the black keys have really exploded!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,751 times
I can't say something for sure, but I think that more and more will play instruments, and they'll keep playing them for fun.
People don't have that feeling that are gonna die young anymore, at least very few of them..
And that gets through the music of other artists.. Nothing shocks anymore, everything has become a routine and I am getting really sick of people calling Miley Cyrus (yes, I'm bringing up her name) a rock star.

She doesn't make rock, at least not the rock I mean. Lyrics that will haunt you months after you have heard them, riffs that will rip your heart out and you will like it, and a beat that will explode your eardrums. THAT's rock. But it isn't like that anymore at all.. I just hope that there will be more music to true fans liking during the next 5-7 years. Hope is kinda the point in music, right?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,277,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleken View Post
I can't say something for sure, but I think that more and more will play instruments, and they'll keep playing them for fun.
People don't have that feeling that are gonna die young anymore, at least very few of them..
And that gets through the music of other artists.. Nothing shocks anymore, everything has become a routine and I am getting really sick of people calling Miley Cyrus (yes, I'm bringing up her name) a rock star.

She doesn't make rock, at least not the rock I mean. Lyrics that will haunt you months after you have heard them, riffs that will rip your heart out and you will like it, and a beat that will explode your eardrums. THAT's rock. But it isn't like that anymore at all.. I just hope that there will be more music to true fans liking during the next 5-7 years. Hope is kinda the point in music, right?
Mainstream music is marketed to the 13-22 age group. Thats why the radio today is playing nothing but trash like Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, etc. I realize most people on here prefer '90s or earlier music but at age 25 I was big into '00s music for pretty much the entire decade having experienced my teen years during that time. Now though, I just can't relate to it anymore. There is still some good stuff out there like Eminem's new album, but good stuff is becoming harder and harder to come by.

As I have said in the past, it is a generational thing. Most people do not like the following generation's taste in music.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 13,039 times
Wow, this thread was filled with a lot information. Good stuff. Allow me to put my two cents in on the thoughts and hopes of the music scene in the 2010s.

I'm 24 now, about one year until I start being targeted by AC radio, but man do I long for that sound that prevailed circa 1986-1995, that music that has been derogatorily called "wimpy" and "elevator music" music that was plain and simple with good hooks that weren't trying to be hip, get into a loudness war (if they were I couldn't tell. It was straight-up while still driving on with a little malisma for good measure. Songs that had their own thing going on but classed it up some. Examples of what I'm talking about include:

Mike & The Mechanics - Taken In
Climie Fisher - Love Changes Everything
Restless Heart - Tell Me What You Dream
Curtis Stigers - I Wonder Why
Paul Young - Oh Girl
Martin Page - In The House of Stone and Light
Michael Bolton - Steel Bars
Wynonna Judd - No One Else On Earth
Genesis - Never a Time
Mica Paris - My One Temptation
Sadao Watanbe & Patti Austin - Any Other Fool
Patty Smyth - Look What Love Has Done
Dina Carroll - Special Kind of Love
Kenny Loggins - If You Believe
Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around
Gary Barlow - So Help Me (1997, but still)
Carly Simon - The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of (or any of her late 80s stuff)
Paul Carrack - Don't Shed a Tear
Johnny Hates Jazz - Turn Back The Clock
Gloria Estefan - I See Your Smile
Curtis Stigers - Sleeping With The Lights On
Cher - Love and Understanding
Michael McDonald - Take It To Heart
Michael McDonald - I Stand For You
Bonnie Raitt - Nick of Time
Michael Bolton - Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay
Bryan Adams - Somebody
Tina Turner - Simply The Best
Bonnie Raitt - Not The Only One
Michael Bolton - Ain't Got Nothin' If You Ain't Got Love
Anita Baker - Just Because
Anita Baker - Body & Soul (or any of her cuts for that matter)
Rembrandts - Just The Way It Is
Jude Cole - Baby It's Tonight
Luther Vandross - Don't Wanna' Be A Fool
Peter Cetera - Restless Heart
Peter Cetera & Chaka Khan - Feels Like Heaven
Lionel Richie - My Destiny
Taylor Dayne - Heart of Stone (Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" kind of reminds me of this song)
Eddie Money - Fall In Love Again (acoustic version)
Steve Winwood - Holdin' On
Lisa Keith - Better Than You
Marilyn Scott - Starting To Fall (1998, but still)
Kim Carnes - Don't Call It Love (1981, but still)

...and countless others.

It was music that was unfortunately overlooked because of the rise of grunge, country and urban music in popularity (most of it wasn't bad...but still). I hope that if the 2010s borrows from the 90s that it also borrows from those sounds listed above. Hell, The Eagles had a recent hit in 2008 with "Busy Being Fabulous" that would work. Five for Fighting and The Fray are representing that easy sound too and kudos to them. Katy Perry's latest one "Teenage Dream" has alomst got that Taylor Dayne thing going on. Broken Bells has some good straight-up stuff in "The Ghost Inside" that almost sounds like "Go Deep" by Janet Jackson.

Other than that, where are our future soft rockers out there that aren't trying to be so hip and psychadelic? What happened to just straight up and driving music? I am so sick of this sound that I think was started with that insuffrable Jay-Z song "Can I Get A" in 1998 where you have the rapper or singer trying to run laps around a walking speed tempo. Examples of this atrocity have included

Destiny's Child - Jumpin' Jumpin'
Paula DeAnda - Walk Away
Mariah Carey - Bye, Bye
LeToya - I Do
Beyonce - Check On It
Beyonce - Diva
Joe - Stutter

or any of that other crap, especially the "crunk ballads" as I like to call them. Even Michael Bolton flirted with that a little bit when he teamed up with Lady Gaga on "Murder My Heart" earlier this year.

Anyway, there are some ideas for covers I'd like to see happen in the 2010s, what do y'all think...

Johnny Gill & Michelle Branch - Can You Stand The Rain (New Edition)
The Fray - I'll Still Be Loving You (Restless Heart)
Michael Bolton & Linkin Park - Sweet Freedom (Michael McDonald)
Anthony Hamilton - I Won't Hold You Back (Toto)
JoJo & The White Stripes (or even by herself) - Softest Place On Earth (Xscape)
Coheed & Cambria - I Don't Wanna' Cry (Mariah Carey)
Maroon 5 - Same Ole' Love (Anita Baker)
Jaheim & Nickelback - Anyone Who Had a Heart (Luther Vandross)
Anita Baker & The Fray - Like The Rain (Clint Black)
Alanis Morissette - The Other Side of the Game (Erykah Badu)
Michael Bolton - Epiphany (Staind)
Nickelback & Avril Lavigne - Baby Come To Me (James Ingram & Patti Austin)
Toby Lightman - Freak Like Me (Adina Howard)

...LOL, anyway I'm glad to see pop music sounding a little more straight ahead and less tendant to get crunk or snap or reggaeton on me like a few years ago.

That's just what I'd hope to hear in the next decade, for now check out www.merge98fm.com, home of America's Killer Variety, Merge98FM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music