Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:04 AM

412 posts, read 1,754,066 times

Advertisements

Obviously, currently the most popular genre of music is dance. I really don't think that Classic Rock, in the sense that people are stating it on here is going to come back, your just dreaming. Eighties hair bands and music related to that have come back 100% but in the form of dance music, what do you think Lady Gaga is? Yes, the rock legends will probably have a couple #1 albums, but that doesn't mean so many people are listening to them, that they will get any airplay, or if they will have any profound affect on the music of the teens. I guess what I am saying is that, in ten years, there is about a 1% chance people are going to remember this decade for having classic rock.

What I think is going to happen is that this dance music thing is going to peak up next year, and it is going to evolve into a type of music with the speed techno of but only as many beats as disco, while retaining a very large eighties synth pop influence. Jazz elements are also going to influence music a lot this next decade, mostly, I believe, instrumentally. Whether or not R&B comes back depends on the new artist and voices that we get. Of course, just because no one makes it doesn't mean there are people out there, but I don't think anyone is going to. However, if a new, true R&B artist did happen to come back, I could see it becoming very large again, but with a more kind of "electronic jazz" sense. The music that is considered "indie pop" is really actually crawling up the charts. I guess that sort of makes it not indie.. but whatever. I think that that sort of slower but electronic pop will come with a sixties influence.

The one type of music I am sure of that is coming back, already, is psychedelic stuff form the 60s/70s. Those types of drugs are also rapidly becoming more popular than cocaine and herion again, also. So far, there really hasn't been much of any thing new in that genre, but I think some new things and more electronic influenced as well will be coming soon.

There is a lot going on in this decade, with the same feelings of greed leftover from the aughties, on top of thirty years of pressure building amongst Americans to once again stand up and refrain from being so acquiescent toward the government, as well as escalating violence world wide and pressures rising greatly between superpowers, an economic situation which is not getting better as of now, and a forecasted sky rocketing in fuel cost and a second coming recession following massive inflation, people feel very conflicted and hold lots of resentment toward each other. I think that both fashion and music will begin to reflect that suppressed anger as well as the happiness that will come when it is, which it will, be released, in some way, very soon. Hopefully though, people will begin to become optimistic again, and we will progress once again, and instead of taking steps further backward culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,064 times
I think it should all be there. There clearly is a large market for classic Hard Rock and Heavy Metal music, so why not answer it? Kind of foolish if you don't, if you ask me. People still listen to it and even teens get into it by visiting YouTube etc. It's a marketable sound. As is Dance Pop, and look what's back? 5 years ago people would've said the exact same about that. The 1980's were the first wave of the Electronica sound. This Dance Pop comeback brings back the Pop aspect that's been missing in melodic, danceable sound and feel good messages. But it's Dance, it's not Rock. All different sounds.

It's very simple: if they want to sell they answer as many markets possible. Combine different sounds, balance it out, but first of all with quality in mind. From there they can innovate again, just as long as it's not an inferior sound. Because then you'd see last decade's pattern all over again. Music needs to be good first of all. A good tune is a good tune regardless of what it's called. Good being that what has mass appeal, what's generally considered an art in sound.

The way I see it the industry has simply been out of touch with the record buying public throughout the past decade. Last decade has been all about markets denied to me. Airplay doesn't equal sales of course. Absolutely no one has to like a song for it to receive airplay. Most who buy get promoted in it for other reasons: names, numbers, definitions. It's the game of those industry people selling junk for gold. We've seen an all time low in sales. And that's not only because of the economic crisis and digital age. Too many people, too many potential buyers have turned out their radios and don't buy commercial records any longer. Yet they do buy other luxury products. I'd say that is a problem awaiting a solution.

Last edited by Mike Tuinstra; 02-06-2010 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,225 times
I'm seeing a positive move towards better melodious music and electronica influences all corners of the art. Artists like Timbaland, Lady Gaga, Flo-Rida, Wale, La Roux, Little Boots, The Ting Tings, Turf Talk, Muse and The Dillinger Escape Plan will have the most influence in the coming years.

New Wave is making a definite come-back with The Ting Tings leading the wave in America while Little Boots and La Roux are more popular in Europe, although I would hope in America too, during the coming years.
Hip-Hop as we are seeing now is transforming into a heavy dance floor genre with little or no rapping included. However there is a splinter group of more old school rappers making a dent as well as a median style as produced by Jay Electronica that will be a noticeable alternative at least for the better part of the next decade but this might turn into more of an underground thing by 2020 leaving a pop Hip-Hop bearing no resemblance to the traditional sound of the late 1990's to mid 2000's Hip-Hop music.
Country music will become a common alternative for some time. Little will change with this Genre over the next ten years.
In Rock corners Industrial Metal will be noticeable as will Alternative and Punk. Punk music will probably simplify a bit and go back to it's roots.

The Feel of the decade will be a bit harsh and gritty in Rock but the New Wave and Club sounds will, in stark contrast, be a much more ambient mood for many acts by the middle of the 2010's although beats will run rampant and layered production will continue unabated for others. Hardcore and Electro-House will become well featured Sub-genres.

Last edited by Mars85; 04-29-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 02:49 PM

503 posts, read 711,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post

The one type of music I am sure of that is coming back, already, is psychedelic stuff form the 60s/70s. Those types of drugs are also rapidly becoming more popular than cocaine and herion again, also. So far, there really hasn't been much of any thing new in that genre,

\
the whitestripes have stuff that could be classified as psychedelic

the animals collective,grace potter and the nocturnals, the black keys,the green hornes,the vines, she and him,wolfmother, and more all meet the 60s- early 70s rock/pop/psychedelic sound

Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,256,370 times
Yay, no more Eminem. We have Justin Bieber though, so the more things change, the more they stay the same..

Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 PM

118 posts, read 366,238 times
Classic rock will never come back. Guitar-based music will never come back (that includes you blues guys, or punk guys).

The guitar is not "cool" anymore. EVERYBODY plays guitar. Girls don't swoon over it. Parents don't think you are a rebel. Guys don't want to be you.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns View Post
Classic rock will never come back. Guitar-based music will never come back (that includes you blues guys, or punk guys).

The guitar is not "cool" anymore. EVERYBODY plays guitar. Girls don't swoon over it. Parents don't think you are a rebel. Guys don't want to be you.

the same could easily go for electro,I can go on my macbook right now alter my voice and lay a beat and some synthesized instruments.

who knows what will happen....

Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 PM

118 posts, read 366,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
the same could easily go for electro,I can go on my macbook right now alter my voice and lay a beat and some synthesized instruments.

who knows what will happen....
Yeah. I think music as a whole will continue to lose value.
Everyone can easily make it, and easily try to distribute it, so no one cares.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns View Post
Yeah. I think music as a whole will continue to lose value.
Everyone can easily make it, and easily try to distribute it, so no one cares.
thats really sad....ugh well things change. jazz used to be the bee's knees and now it is def not that popular on a mainstream level(although jazz is extremely wide known still). I wonder if that's where rock is going....it's kinda in the dark ages of it's self. rap to me is at it's peak point. it's extremely popular but has really lost a lot of it's original value and meaning.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,289,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
thats really sad....ugh well things change. jazz used to be the bee's knees and now it is def not that popular on a mainstream level(although jazz is extremely wide known still). I wonder if that's where rock is going....it's kinda in the dark ages of it's self. rap to me is at it's peak point. it's extremely popular but has really lost a lot of it's original value and meaning.
Nickelback rock and all its clones in the 2000s really hurt the rock genre. There is absolutely nothing fresh and exciting about it anymore. Mainstream hip-hop is going the same direction its just taking a little longer to get there. The one thing keeping hip-hop afloat right now is the dance/electro sound thats taken over in the last few years. Who knows what will happen though, in 1996 dance music was king but by 2002 if you listened to dance you were either gay, a nerd, a druggie, or a combination....and look now everybody is listening to it again. Things can change pretty quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music