Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,292,327 times

Advertisements

Now that we are a year into the new decade, I want to point out some of the trends I've noticed taking place. First and foremost, I have to say this year has seen some major changes in music trends and the direction of top 40, stuff that just two years ago people thought would never happen. Here is what I have noticed.

-The electropop sound that bursted onto the scene in late 2008 has continued to explode into the new decade with artists such as Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Rihanna, as well as former hip-hop artists like Akon and the Black Eyed Peas. While in the late '00s, electropop was heavily influenced by urban music, it seems that urban influence is fading. My speculation is that the industry is looking to transition into more pure dance music. This is grounbreaking because through most of the '00s, it seemed electronic music was the one genre that really was UNCOOL. Now people are crazy over it. I hope to see names like Tiesto and Van Buuren break into the mainstream.

-The biggest story in music this year has been the explosion of teen pop. Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and Katy Perry are the big names in this genre. Though not all of them are Disney artists, they all have a Radio Disney sound.

-The death of glam/crunk/ringtone rap. People thought it was on its way out as far back as 2007, but it kept hanging on well into 2009. Not anymore. Wacka Flocka Flame is about the only rapper still cranking out mid-'00s crunk hits and charting. Traditional hip-hop has all but been banished to urban radio stations. There is a HUGE difference in Top 40 between January 2010 which still had a rap presence and December 2010 which has virtually none. Most '00s rappers that have remained relevant have transitioned into a more electro-pop style.

-Rock remains absent from Top 40. Daughtry tried to break in with September but that post-grunge sound that has dominated rock for the past ten years is dead. Like rap, if rock is to remain relevant in the mainstream in the near term there needs to be some innovation and changing with the trends. Nickelback, Daughtry, etc are yesterday.

Any other thoughts? Where do you think these trends will go in 2011?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM

3,647 posts, read 8,333,900 times
My obsevations...
  • Luckily auto tune is finished! It seemed to die out slowly after Jay-z did DOA during summer 2009 and I cant remeber any popular songs this year that incorporated auto tune. I doubt it will come back, unless T-pain resurfaces in 2011.
  • Pop music will be HUGE next year. You know, Justin Beiber, Ke$ha. Just listen to your local top 40 to get the gist. Kinda remends me of the Boy band craze of the late 90's/early 00's. Like Bchirs said Electropop and dance will continue to dominate 2011 and the 1st few years of the 2010's (jason Derulo, Ke$ha, Jay Sean, Taio Cruz, Lady Gaga, Black eyed peas ect)
  • -Rap and R&B artists will continue to expiriment with this new Electronic pop sound that becam epopular around 08/09. For example, Usher "OMG", Diddy/dirty money "hello/goodmorning" and even "california Girls" with Katy Perry & Snoop dogg. Though I would say Kanye wast the first to do it on his Graduation album not to mention Common's Universal Mind Control. But yeah Rap and R&B will be more "pop" like. basically Electro-hop will emerge in order to have mass appeal esp. since pop music seems to be headed this direction.
  • However I think think a new group of hip hop artist (mostly indie)will grow tired of this new sound and will go against the grain basically saying "EFF the industry, its my way or the highway". Its happening some what (search Freddie Gibbs) but that wont happen on a large scale till maybe 2015/16.
On a side note, what ever happened to R&B boy band and girl bands like Jodeci, black street, Destiny's child, boyz to men ect. There's still Day 26 but the last r&B band to have a huge influence was B2K and that was a while ago.

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 12-07-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 AM

503 posts, read 711,297 times
like i said months ago in this post the black keys would explode and guess what they did

Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,151 times
The Albums that point to the future are the latest ones by The Black Eyed Peas, Kesha, Kanye, Katy Perry, T-Pain and Chris Brown. It seems to me that these kind of styles are influences on songwriters right now. If you really study the charts of what people are actually buying and listening to, this seems to be the direction. Anything produced by Dr. Luke is very influential right now. I think that most music listeners simply will not tolerate slightly out of tune singers like we had before 1996 (when Antares Auto Tune for Pro Tools was first introduced). [Anyone remember the Mammas and the Pappas "California Dreams" or anything by Bob Dylan? These singers would simply not have the same chance today in a post Dr. Luke/Kesha World] I think that the quality of new songs will continue to move forward. And in 2019, if history repeats itself, most people over 30 will criticize the music of the the teenagers of 2019 (Born from 2000 to 2006.)

Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,151 times
Default Yes

Yes, I think you know your stuff!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:07 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,535,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maker View Post
The Albums that point to the future are the latest ones by The Black Eyed Peas, Kesha, Kanye, Katy Perry, T-Pain and Chris Brown. It seems to me that these kind of styles are influences on songwriters right now. If you really study the charts of what people are actually buying and listening to, this seems to be the direction. Anything produced by Dr. Luke is very influential right now. I think that most music listeners simply will not tolerate slightly out of tune singers like we had before 1996 (when Antares Auto Tune for Pro Tools was first introduced). [Anyone remember the Mammas and the Pappas "California Dreams" or anything by Bob Dylan? These singers would simply not have the same chance today in a post Dr. Luke/Kesha World] I think that the quality of new songs will continue to move forward. And in 2019, if history repeats itself, most people over 30 will criticize the music of the the teenagers of 2019 (Born from 2000 to 2006.)
So basically you're saying that music listeners nowadays won't tolerate singers that sound like human beings and would rather listen to people that sound like robots?

Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,461,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
So basically you're saying that music listeners nowadays won't tolerate singers that sound like human beings and would rather listen to people that sound like robots?
There is a different vocoder for that. Dated in the 70s. First use in mainstream by Kraftwerk.

As for original comment, Dylan wouldn't survive in mainstream due to his style i.e. very folk-ie. Folk music hasn't been relevant for a long time.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,535,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
There is a different vocoder for that. Dated in the 70s. First use in mainstream by Kraftwerk.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I meant robot in the more figurative sense. Like here's an example of what I mean. In this song (especially the chorus), Brittney Spears' vocals sound even more robotic than usual:

Britney Spears - I Wanna Go - YouTube

Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,461,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I meant robot in the more figurative sense. Like here's an example of what I mean. In this song (especially the chorus), Brittney Spears' vocals sound even more robotic than usual:

Britney Spears - I Wanna Go - YouTube
It is a dance song and Britney uses auto-tune for effect, especially through the chorus. Outside vocal trance, most dance music has some type of vocoder effect on vocals.

Since Auto-Tune was brought up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23
Luckily auto tune is finished! It seemed to die out slowly after Jay-z did DOA during summer 2009 and I cant remeber any popular songs this year that incorporated auto tune. I doubt it will come back, unless T-pain resurfaces in 2011.
Your prediction fell extremely short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music