Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,221,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Music from the 70s and 80s is a pretty decent mix of songs. But it seems to me that in the 90's, everything went to hell. I've been listening to a 90's mix for the past hour on Music Choice, and it really sucks. Everything has the same heavy wash-tub beat, and songs are at best, chants lacking any melody, and at worst, faux-rap.

I turned 30 in 1968, so I listened to all four decades as a mature adult, and somewhere in the early 90's, it all just became unbearable.
I think you would have to look at the rock concerts of the Sixties to find the deepest roots. Bill Graham the famous rock impressario wrote this before he closed Fillmore East in the Village in 1971:
The rock scene in this country was created by a need felt by the people, expressed by the musicians, and, I hope, aided to some degree by the efforts of the Fillmores. But whatever has become of that scene, wherever it turned into the music industry of festivals, 20,000-seat halls, miserable production quality, and second-rate promoters - however it went wrong - please, each of you, stop and think whether or not you allowed it, whether or not you supported it regardless of how little you received in return.
I can think of a couple of things concerning what the music industry became after this point - though certainly they are only part of the picture.

The incredible developments in sound reproduction and recording have meant that any mediocre singer (or player) can be made to sound far more vocally equipped than he or she is. And this also means that as long as these singers have the right sound equipment (and soundman) and backup tapes they can even perform "live" concerts.

I think that pop singers and musicians nowadays are not primarily singers and musician, they are performers first and foremost. If you make interesting videos and are surrounded by spectacular sound and light effects at a concert these count just as much as your singing or playing. Wrap these in a no-content publicity blitz, and major success is guaranteed.

The idea that 99 percent of most current singers could stand up before a mike accompanied only by a piano and not empty a room in three minutes is ridiculous, of course.

But, on the other hand, that simply is not what pop music is about now. Our popular culture has changed quite profoundly across the board (not just pop music) - overall it has an in-your-face, show-it-to me, now-now-now POW!!! quality. Craft is largely irrelevant, impression and effect are what counts. Any artistic endeavor that requires time and subltly is totally outside of the popular taste, and is likely to be a commercial disaster.

There is only so much the human machine can do to make music - whether by singing or playing an instrument, and we are culturally at a level of sensation-demand that technology, decibel level and visual overload are now necessities.

On a personal note, and I hope this does not sound condescending: an anitidote is to forget about pop music...there is so much else out there, and "out there" also means outside the largely American pop music industry. Africa is a hot bed of musical activity, and so far it is still fresh and vital, ditto some parts of the Arab world, and developments in old European forms like fado and flamenco are incredible (especially the latter), and then Brazil is still an fantastic hive of music creativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,864,550 times
Quote:
Music from the 70s and 80s is a pretty decent mix of songs. But it seems to me that in the 90's, everything went to hell. I've been listening to a 90's mix for the past hour on Music Choice, and it really sucks. Everything has the same heavy wash-tub beat, and songs are at best, chants lacking any melody, and at worst, faux-rap.

I turned 30 in 1968, so I listened to all four decades as a mature adult, and somewhere in the early 90's, it all just became unbearable.
I stopped about the mid 90's (with a few exceptions), somewhere around the Cranberries. But, I also shifted to jazz, which in many cases is more timeless. And reverted to classical. Now I say it all went to hell after Father Bach.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:50 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,849,757 times
I remember good music in 1996 and 1997. Somewhere shortly after that it died. Now and then it shows little signs of life, but for the most part it's a lost cause. Its best years were the 80s and early 90s.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Africa is a hot bed of musical activity, and so far it is still fresh and vital
I have been listening to some of the Desert Blues stuff.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:18 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,098,643 times
Quote:

You are into your 70s and still listen to newer music? Kudos to you!

On the down side, if you didn't like 90s you prob won't like todays popular music either. However, with the internet you can certainly find new music you enjoy somewhere, check out the "rotting music" thread for more ideas on how to find it.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Thanks for all your responses, which all make good points. All of you are here, though, because you are "into music", or you wouldn't be on this board. But what about the rest of the listening public, to whom music is peripheral?

The gist of my OP is that a couple of decades ago, if one wanted a decent audio mix performed by reasonably talented artists, assembled by an arranger who wasn't sadistic, all you had to do was turn the radio on. Now, it is necessary to be in the loop, and spend much of your time searching arcane sources or networking with friends in order to find something to listen to. Or, take the easy way out, and keep on listening to the oldies.

I never thought I'd hear myself saying "God, how I miss Abba and the BeeGees".

Last edited by jtur88; 12-29-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,221,802 times
Quote:
...I never thought I'd hear myself saying "God, how I miss Abba and the BeeGees".
I know Abba is ridiculed as a matter of course now...but they were good musicians. And if one reads the lyrics to their songs, some of them are filled with witty or sly observations, or even rather dark. Their work was often presented as musical confection and sentimental on the surface, but frequently it had a counter-suggestion of regret and melancholy...my recollection, perhaps distorted by time, is that many of their lyrics suggested a transitoriness that ran contrary to the bubbly music line that supported them.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I know Abba is ridiculed as a matter of course now...but they were good musicians. .
Actually, as I recall, they were ridiculed more then than they are now.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:35 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh

This forum sure has had a lot of threads complaining about the demise of music.

As Thomas notes, whether it is the 90's or the 1700's, music is rather a subjective topic.

Maybe the narrative of contemporary music sort of went into a bunch of tangents.
There is still risk-taking and experimentation going on, and plenty of visceral stuff along with techno, etc.
But the sheer number of genres available might dilute each other.
As long as there is Spotify, Lastfm or Pandora or word of mouth, I know I am going to find music I love.
Yea but just as we all debated on the other thread, if there is decent music out there then why is it hidden? Who is hiding this music? If it is so great then why is it that the listeners and not the producers know this? The producers, those with the power to put this better music out into the mainstream, are they sleeping? Or are they just hell bent on jambing this wrap and hippity hoppity bunny jumping thug noise down our throats?

Lets face it. People are gullable. If you shove something in their face, no matter how bad, they will eventually grow to like it. I sure am glad I am among the more intelligent. I know what is good and what is bad.

When we get mad because a TV network removed a popular show, we write in to the TV network and complain. I can think of several shows this happened. Is it time we all start writing to these music producers demanding some airplay for good music?

If good music is targeted towards school aged kids, I am confident they will abandan that wrap crap in a hurry. One does not have to be a genius to realize that mindless crap is just noise. But if that is all they are exposed to..................................

Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,161,700 times
Music died in the early 90's.If you listen to MOST of the music that came out in the mid 90's to the present,you don't hear of too many solo artists or groups that are more then one hit wonders. The same happened to hard rock and heavy metal.Gus can play but people can't sing.Growling is not singing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music