Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,289,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Should it be acceptable to have to search for music? I'm the last person on earth that can be called lazy. But when it comes to music, music is something that should calm the salvage beast, not cause stress looking for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Is it right or wrong that you had to take precious time from your busy life to find new music you like?
I believe yes, it is acceptable and it is right.

As an aside, I *REALLY ENJOY* hunting out new music. I mean far from being stressful or time-wasting, it's an activity I relish that energizes me.

But anyway, finding the good stuff has usually meant going off the beaten path, both in actually finding out about it and in partaking of it, whether it's fine dining, music, an independent film, rewarding television, enlightening literature, quality furniture, fresh food, tourism, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 PM

155 posts, read 283,538 times
hay there is bad music in EVERY genre and there are still some really great musicians
music will never end and when it does we ALL end

Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,591,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Music from the 70s and 80s is a pretty decent mix of songs. But it seems to me that in the 90's, everything went to hell. I've been listening to a 90's mix for the past hour on Music Choice, and it really sucks. Everything has the same heavy wash-tub beat, and songs are at best, chants lacking any melody, and at worst, faux-rap.

I turned 30 in 1968, so I listened to all four decades as a mature adult, and somewhere in the early 90's, it all just became unbearable.

It's called "getting old".

The older generation ALWAYS hates the younger generations' taste in music. Always have and always will.

For the same reason your parents hated your Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper albums and their parents hated Beatlemania because it was "loud and obnoxious garbage."

Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,711,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I believe yes, it is acceptable and it is right.

As an aside, I *REALLY ENJOY* hunting out new music. I mean far from being stressful or time-wasting, it's an activity I relish that energizes me.

But anyway, finding the good stuff has usually meant going off the beaten path, both in actually finding out about it and in partaking of it, whether it's fine dining, music, an independent film, rewarding television, enlightening literature, quality furniture, fresh food, tourism, etc.
You obviously look at digging for new music a little like a hobby. As a professional musician myself I always looked at listening to it like a calm. Searching for anything is work. But to some people, some work is enjoyable and pleasurable. Like what I do for a living. To me it is not work. I am the best there is at what I do and I know it. This makes it fun.

As for your other examples, it just seems acceptable to search for the best foods, the best furniture etc.....not music. But if you enjoy it then go for it !!!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh

This forum sure has had a lot of threads complaining about the demise of music.
yeah, and this is the 2nd one from this poster that I know of, there are probably more out there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...-gone-mad.html

Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,439,865 times
Good music never "ended"... It's just that people become lazy in searching for new music because the style that they like is no longer "cool".

Not everyhing should be force-fed to you through mainstream media outlets. Go out and find it for yourself.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,590,877 times
Quote:
Music from the 70s and 80s is a pretty decent mix of songs. But it seems to me that in the 90's, everything went to hell. I've been listening to a 90's mix for the past hour on Music Choice, and it really sucks. Everything has the same heavy wash-tub beat, and songs are at best, chants lacking any melody, and at worst, faux-rap.

I turned 30 in 1968, so I listened to all four decades as a mature adult, and somewhere in the early 90's, it all just became unbearable.
If the technology were available in 1979 someone who turned 30 in 1938 would have posted the same thing about music from the 60's & 70's. Everyone has their threshold.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:36 PM

381 posts, read 844,487 times
Music never ended. It's more of the quality that declined.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,108,498 times
Quote:
I did it for the same reason Sean Hannity got waterboarded. So I could come on here and authoritatively assert that it sucks. Do you think I'd make a statement on C-D without thoroughly researching it?
Sorry, but listening to 90's music for a few hours hardly stipulates you as an "authority" on the scene. In fact I would say, rather, that it shows your rather limited exposure to it. I have no idea what genre of music you were listening to, but I'm guessing from your "washboard beat" description is was perhaps a mixture of rap & hip-hop and maybe some hard rock, maybe the Seattle-based Grunge stuff. But the fact of the matter is that those were only a small slice of the multitude of genres available in the '90's, as there are today. The '90's also saw the explosion of the country music scene, fusing it with virutoso musicianship and a rock 'n' roll edge. Blue grass, jazz, and even the Blues continued unabated in the '90's as well, as did some fresh electronic new Age stuff. Too, guys like Harry Connick Jr. and Michael Buble brought back the old "crooner" genre of the 60's to a whole new generation.
As a professional musician, I sort of feel the need to advise you that it probably more sensible to simply state your opinion on something, rather than pedantically claiming that it is of poor quality, just because it's not your cup of tea.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 PM

807 posts, read 3,191,703 times
Music has ended? Bye-Bye Miss American Pie?

I think the Hip-Hop top 40 is for the kids...not me. Is it bad? I can't say, but it's not for me.

I've been moved by the talent during a Yanni concert, in awe of the love of the music projected by the Rippington's live and taken to a different place by William Ellwood's insightful guitar.

Everyone has some type of music that touches their soul. Music isn't dead...it's all around us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music