Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thanks for all your responses, which all make good points. All of you are here, though, because you are "into music", or you wouldn't be on this board. But what about the rest of the listening public, to whom music is peripheral?

The gist of my OP is that a couple of decades ago, if one wanted a decent audio mix performed by reasonably talented artists, assembled by an arranger who wasn't sadistic, all you had to do was turn the radio on. Now, it is necessary to be in the loop, and spend much of your time searching arcane sources or networking with friends in order to find something to listen to. Or, take the easy way out, and keep on listening to the oldies.

I never thought I'd hear myself saying "God, how I miss Abba and the BeeGees".
Oh yes eactly !! I just covered what you said while responding to Blue Willow.

Why is it this way? Should we all get a writing campaign going demanding from those with the power to do something? You'd think they would listen to us. Afterall, they are all starving a slow death. Who is buying CDs out there?

Why the hell should I search till my fingers are numb just to find some new song I like? I ain't gona do it. Not as long as there is plenty of great music readily available to me from 25 years ago still at my finger tips. And even new country music which for the most part is really just soft rock is readily available to me. Many new country bands dont even have a steel guitar or a fiddle in it, it's more like plain ol rock.

Country musc is still packing concert halls. Old rock bands are still packing concert halls. But when was the last time you seen a wrap concert let alone fill the seats. No city wants to be host to a bunch of street thug fans hell bent on causing trouble.

What can we do? Are we humans even capable of banding together anymore to march and demonstrate for the better of all? I wana say no to that but it embarrasses me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM

319 posts, read 634,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Country musc is still packing concert halls. Old rock bands are still packing concert halls. But when was the last time you seen a wrap concert let alone fill the seats. No city wants to be host to a bunch of street thug fans hell bent on causing trouble.
I don't know. Lil Wayne (who I am not a fan of) had a concert tour that grossed $39,314,413 in 2009 (23rd highest tour of the year). The total attendance was 728,655 (over 69 shows an average of 10,560 fans per show), which puts the average ticket price at about $53.95. Those aren't U2 or Springsteen numbers (U2 did $311,637,730 with 3,071,290 in attendance over 44 shows. An average of 69,802 people per show at an average ticket price of $102. The Boss did $156,340,910 with 1,736,926 in attendance over 72 shows. An average of 24,124 people per show at an average ticket price of $90), but, if you look at the numbers, they're pretty da** respectable.

Your fear mongering of what a rap concert audience looks like is the exact opposite of what happened in downtown Milwaukee when that tour came through in September. I was getting off of work the afternoon of that show and there was some people getting ready to walk down to where the event was. I witness zero issues apart from jaywalking, which happens every five seconds in downtown Milwaukee anyway. My bus stop is right by the hotel where the artists stayed and they had five or six huge tour buses. Road crew and drivers etc. were in and out and were nothing but respectful and nice to everyone in the area while the crew got ready to go to work.

I've read a hand full of your posts and it's obvious you don't like rap or hip hop music. That's ok. I think your posts, are to be quite honest, full of thinly veiled racism and bigotry. That's not ok. Like what you want, but show respect to all people.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,274,662 times
Quote:
When we get mad because a TV network removed a popular show, we write in to the TV network and complain.
The word "popular" does not in any way imply "good." And "good" most definitely does not imply "popular."

In fact, I declare that more often than not there is an inverse relationship between the two! Good+popular is the exception. The rule is either/or. It holds for a variety of different media and product categories. I mean even some people who consume popular crap know this. They do it cuz it's EASY. NO EFFORT, no independent thinking required. And they have plenty of company so there's the comfort of the pack. Woohoo.

So let's say the TV network removes a very very good, terribly unpopular show (which is far more likely) and leaves on the creatively bankrupt but nonetheless insanely popular show. And this is the music industry in microcosm as well, and it's something I implicitly know, and to come on here and declare that "music ended" in 1993 after listening to an hour of Music Choice is laughably myopic.

As mentioned previously by me, it's a lot like sampling McDonald's and five other fast food joints and then stating that all dining is crap these days, or watching some lowest common denominator television show or film and stating that all television and all cinema is crap these days. Or reading a trashy romance novel and stating that literature is dead. Or sampling a new $85,000 Fox & Jacobs house and stating that all modern house design and construction is crap. Add your own analogies as desired.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,461 times
"I've read a hand full of your posts and it's obvious you don't like rap or hip hop music. That's ok. I think your posts, are to be quite honest, full of thinly veiled racism and bigotry. That's not ok. Like what you want, but show respect to all people."

Always there's some racist who sees everything as racism.

Music got bad when everything got bad. When parents let their children grow up feral, sooner or later we'll all be back to pounding drums and chanting.

Oh.....that's where we are now.

Still, there's good stuff out there. But just like finding good food or good shoes or good cheap scotch, you have to go and get it. My fave bands this year are The Chesterfield Kings (growing beyond their genre), The Mars Volta, the Dandy Warhols, and I'm keeping an eye on The Heavy. But man, it took hours of poking around in the web and streaming Pandora to find these guys.

S

Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
I don't know. Lil Wayne (who I am not a fan of) had a concert tour that grossed $39,314,413 in 2009 (23rd highest tour of the year). The total attendance was 728,655 (over 69 shows an average of 10,560 fans per show), which puts the average ticket price at about $53.95. Those aren't U2 or Springsteen numbers (U2 did $311,637,730 with 3,071,290 in attendance over 44 shows. An average of 69,802 people per show at an average ticket price of $102. The Boss did $156,340,910 with 1,736,926 in attendance over 72 shows. An average of 24,124 people per show at an average ticket price of $90), but, if you look at the numbers, they're pretty da** respectable.

Your fear mongering of what a rap concert audience looks like is the exact opposite of what happened in downtown Milwaukee when that tour came through in September. I was getting off of work the afternoon of that show and there was some people getting ready to walk down to where the event was. I witness zero issues apart from jaywalking, which happens every five seconds in downtown Milwaukee anyway. My bus stop is right by the hotel where the artists stayed and they had five or six huge tour buses. Road crew and drivers etc. were in and out and were nothing but respectful and nice to everyone in the area while the crew got ready to go to work.

I've read a hand full of your posts and it's obvious you don't like rap or hip hop music. That's ok. I think your posts, are to be quite honest, full of thinly veiled racism and bigotry. That's not ok. Like what you want, but show respect to all people.
Yikes!!! Your post was a good one till you called me a racist. What does wrap noise have to do with racism? If you are referring to skin color, I think you know all skin colors attend that aweful noise shows right?

Wrap noise is closely identified with a young, black, urban audience but whites listen to it just as much. And by the way, I love Motown music. Am I still a racist?

If you were to google violence at wrap concerts your computer screen would light up the night sky. I simply can not ever remember a single incident in my 35 years and over 500 concerts of any violence. My spouse has a bad story or 2 to tell in honesty though. But she been to 4 times more concerts then I.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The word "popular" does not in any way imply "good." And "good" most definitely does not imply "popular."

In fact, I declare that more often than not there is an inverse relationship between the two! Good+popular is the exception. The rule is either/or. It holds for a variety of different media and product categories. I mean even some people who consume popular crap know this. They do it cuz it's EASY. NO EFFORT, no independent thinking required. And they have plenty of company so there's the comfort of the pack. Woohoo.

So let's say the TV network removes a very very good, terribly unpopular show (which is far more likely) and leaves on the creatively bankrupt but nonetheless insanely popular show. And this is the music industry in microcosm as well, and it's something I implicitly know, and to come on here and declare that "music ended" in 1993 after listening to an hour of Music Choice is laughably myopic.

As mentioned previously by me, it's a lot like sampling McDonald's and five other fast food joints and then stating that all dining is crap these days, or watching some lowest common denominator television show or film and stating that all television and all cinema is crap these days. Or reading a trashy romance novel and stating that literature is dead. Or sampling a new $85,000 Fox & Jacobs house and stating that all modern house design and construction is crap. Add your own analogies as desired.
Well said. Just about the same thing I am saying, maybe said better. So what is the answer? Should it be acceptable to have to search for music? I'm the last person on earth that can be called lazy. But when it comes to music, music is something that should calm the salvage beast, not cause stress looking for it.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
"I've read a hand full of your posts and it's obvious you don't like rap or hip hop music. That's ok. I think your posts, are to be quite honest, full of thinly veiled racism and bigotry. That's not ok. Like what you want, but show respect to all people."

Always there's some racist who sees everything as racism.

Music got bad when everything got bad. When parents let their children grow up feral, sooner or later we'll all be back to pounding drums and chanting.

Oh.....that's where we are now.

Still, there's good stuff out there. But just like finding good food or good shoes or good cheap scotch, you have to go and get it. My fave bands this year are The Chesterfield Kings (growing beyond their genre), The Mars Volta, the Dandy Warhols, and I'm keeping an eye on The Heavy. But man, it took hours of poking around in the web and streaming Pandora to find these guys.

S
Is it right or wrong that you had to take precious time from your busy life to find new music you like?

The new song you just found, if it started to be played on the radio, would you still like it?

If you found that new song because it just came on the radio while you were driving, would you still feel the same about it?

Just something to think about..............

Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,856 times
music is supposed to mean MUSIC-like people playing instruments and composing lyrics and melodies-it seems like some of that has gone by the wayside-that's why there is so much sucky stuff out there right now. Image seems to be more important than the music.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:22 PM

319 posts, read 634,356 times
Quote:
Yikes!!! Your post was a good one till you called me a racist. What does wrap noise have to do with racism? If you are referring to skin color, I think you know all skin colors attend that aweful noise shows right?

Wrap noise is closely identified with a young, black, urban audience but whites listen to it just as much. And by the way, I love Motown music. Am I still a racist?

If you were to google violence at wrap concerts your computer screen would light up the night sky. I simply can not ever remember a single incident in my 35 years and over 500 concerts of any violence. My spouse has a bad story or 2 to tell in honesty though. But she been to 4 times more concerts then I.
Violence has happened at all types of concerts. The most famous example being Altamont. You know, that concert with those scourges of society, The Rolling Stones, CSN, The Burritos, Jefferson Airplane and Santana. Or at just about any punk show in the 70s. I saw a huge fight at a Tom Petty concert. Concert violence has nothing to do with color or the music type, 95% of the time it has to do with alcohol, a mob mentality, serious self esteem issues or a combination of all of the above.

I'm willing to let the racist thing go, I apologize. But, your constant unwillingness to correctly spell "rap", for whatever reason, smacks of bigotry. It's your life, lead it the way you want. If you want to whine about the state of music, and come off sounding the same way my grandparents probably did when Elvis was on Ed Sullivan, then go ahead. I'm done with this thread.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,047 times
Music died in the last 90's and definitely the first decade of 2000. The 80's was the last decade of true music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music