Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,319,689 times

Advertisements

Oh, Whistler said he found some 9s that sound great on a Les Paul. I can't remember what he said they were though? Maybe he will chime in and tell you. You usually only need the heavy strings on a single coil guitar ie Fender Stratocaster and Telecaster. Humbucking guitars ie Gibson Les Paul, SG don't really need them to sound good. I play 11s on everything because that is what I got used to and go back and forth between a Strat, Les Paul and a SG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
But the important thing...do your fingers look the same?

I have an acoustic guitar and I plan on getting back into it, I know the basic chords and since I have an ear I have a lot of fun figuring stuff out. I play the piano so my fingers have strength, it's just those darn strings. They hurt! I've heard that callouses build up and that just sounds hideous! The things we do for music.
Your fingers still look the same! Mine don't anyway from work and 20 line per inch checkered 1911s! Hahaha The Geeetar is no problemo with hands and fingers like that!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 PM

See what I mean about the gauge of strings on a Strat? The top is Stevie and his #1 Strat with 12s or 13s (he played both). The bottom is a Fender custom shop exact replica of SRV Strat #1 with probably 9s on it. I think the guys on YouTube want to jump through the screen and beat that guy with a tire iron for demoing Stevie's signature Strat like that! LOL You should click on the comments and read them if you aren't a prude? LOL They are funny as hell! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNuXO60G33w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahULTtafhq8

Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,606,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Your fingers still look the same! Mine don't anyway from work and 20 line per inch checkered 1911s! Hahaha The Geeetar is no problemo with hands and fingers like that!
Okay...I'm all in then!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Okay...I'm all in then!
You can do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkitLUbeEg

Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 AM

12,982 posts, read 13,731,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
Well...I like some of almost all music. If I like the sound and the tempo, I like it. Country, Rock, BLUES, Jazz. I don't pay much attention to the words of most songs, I guess I should. I like slower music the best I guess, not that there is any thing wrong with faster music, I like it some to. I can feel slower songs better.

I'm still working on the chords, I try to work in an hour or so a day but, I must say I have slacked up during the holidays. Someone mentioned practicing the scales, I have a book that just mentioned the scales but not much more. I got to study up on how the scales work. You all know of any good books that explain the scale process (with pictures of course).

I been working on this for about two months now and even though I have made progress I can see it's a long process but, one that I am willing to put forth the effort to succeed at least to some extent.

I am still amazed at the support of all the people on here it (the support) sure does make it easier, believe it or not.

Thanks again.
I have known a number of men and women who take up the guitar after they have more time to pursue it. When the kids are about raised and your work is not as demanding anymore IMO it puts you on a par with a young kid as far as your free time. That's one of the advantages young people have is more free time to learn guitar. I think one of the most standard guitar methods for beginners is the Mel bay graded method. It is called the "Modern Method" because back in the 40's if you wanted to learn guitar all anybody taught was the "Classical Method"

It is a common misperception that you don't need to learn to read music or need a teacher. They will say George Benson couldn't read music but George Benson cut his teeth beside one of the best Organist in the Business and probably picked up quite a bit of Jazz Theory in the process. I would always tell some one to get a teacher, even if it is not a formal arrangement through a school or store. Just some one to coach you through the early phases for less than a year, so you don't pick up bad habits that will hurt your technique.

There are two approaches ,one is learning the guitar through learning Technique( scales, chord, picking exercises) the other is learning through playing music. Starting out with easy music and progressing to harder pieces. Nylon string guitars are great for beginners who don't have the calluses yet

Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 AM

455 posts, read 1,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
I got a question for all the Guitar players out there, if I may. Can or should a person 56 years old attempt to learn to play a guitar?
Too right you should go for it.

Its never too late, choose the type you want to play, personally I chose classical, hubby chose electric.

Have enjoy it and have fun.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,954,620 times
Think a bit about your options for right-hand picking attack. John McLaughlin spent a lifetime perfecting his plectrum technique, then later said were he to start over he'd go fingerstyle. This indicates how the two styles are somewhat foreign to each other and must be learned separately.
Another "hybrid" style is "Travis picking" where plectrum is held normally between thumb & forefinger (usually plucking bass notes) while remaining fingers execute strums, accents, or even melodies.
Don't get bogged down in this, just keep these in mind as right-hand options (unless you're a lefty).

Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 PM

Two right hand picking technique players who are and were unique in every way. Uncle Teddy started the late 70's and 80's speed picking craze. Mark is the finger picker from hell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGu6JsQOFjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2HmNnT1tPA

Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,181,878 times
The majority of posters in this thread have given nothing of value for the OP's needs. Just a bunch of ridiculous videos and goofy advice. Only a few have tried to help the OP.
I'm frustrated because, while I would like to offer good advice, I just can't get myself to post it in a thread so full of garbage.
Perhaps I will just DM the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music