Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,860,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf wrote:
There's something I really don't understand and hope somebody will talk with me about it...
Mornin' Swampwolf - The difference is we're old and we remember what it was like. You can't miss it if you never knew it. I wasn't lucky enuff to grow up nearby like Conway, but hitchhiked down from the upstate the first of every summer. It was all about the beach then. Well, actually, it was all about the girls then, but they were here because of the beach.

MB is no longer about the beach. Just look at all the hotels located around BATB or the outlet malls. Tourists show up and never get close to the beach, afraid the sand will ruin their manicured nails. Read all the posts about people worried about alligators, snakes or bugs. As a generation, we no longer respect nature, primarily because we no longer enjoy or spend time outside within nature. It's a sad but well-documented fact.

"Shops of New England"?? Don't get me started. We have seafood restaurants down here that specialize in haddock, for God's sake! MB may be warm, but it is no longer Southern. (although I'll kick myself for getting that threaded started.)

BTW, I love Hiaasen's books. Think of MB everytime I read one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 AM

272 posts, read 732,890 times
You're missing my point (not you, Dude). Let me put it this way: Would you vacation at Myrtle Beach if it was still the way I described it years ago, without all of the overblown "attractions"? A lot of people did.

And another thing: Vacations for the purpose of shopping. We may have been pioneers in this, when Waccamaw Pottery opened in the 70s beside the Intracoastal Waterway, becoming the first outlet mall I ever heard of. Now they're everywhere, including the coast of Maine.

Has the actual ocean become a nuisance?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,753,117 times
Ahhhh, Just give me the ocean... I'll take that alone.......
I was here at Myrtle Beach before all the jazz came along........
Before the bypass 17 had anything on it....( just the water park)
No Broadway at the Beach........No Costal Grand....No Market Commons...
I think Garden City always looks the same to me, never changing at all....

I'd of been happy with just the ocean.......

Mainly I lived in NJ, and so we went to those ocean beaches, which were always crowded in the summers....the boardwalks "right on the ocean" full, full of people... There were some quieter more peaceful beaches, but...just like here....all kinds of things pop up around them.
I guess the towns try to keep everyone happy. There is always something to do around a shore town.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM

349 posts, read 865,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
You're missing my point (not you, Dude). Let me put it this way: Would you vacation at Myrtle Beach if it was still the way I described it years ago, without all of the overblown "attractions"? A lot of people did.

And another thing: Vacations for the purpose of shopping. We may have been pioneers in this, when Waccamaw Pottery opened in the 70s beside the Intracoastal Waterway, becoming the first outlet mall I ever heard of. Now they're everywhere, including the coast of Maine.

Has the actual ocean become a nuisance?
i'm with you- i miss the way myrtle beach was and i wasn't even around here back then. i may have been 5 actually. everything you said about how it was is the way i wish it would be.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Where that Broadway at the Beach and Planet Hollywood and all that stuff are were working farms (tobacco, soybeans, cotton, etc) up until recent times.

Whan I go on a vacation I feel creepy if I know that the local people's way of life was obliterated so that something could be built to attract my money. I know that Florida overall has experienced that, as have places like Cherokee, NC, parts of the coasts of Alabama and Mississippi. I won't go to those places. It's something like a sin. It's like "This land was destroyed in part for me."

I don't go to Myrtle Beach anymore either, even when I'm visiting home (near Conway) and MB is fifteen miles away. It makes me sick to see all of the "attractions" and outlet malls covering what was once beautiful.

Damn the developers!

Old 02-07-2009, 02:44 AM

10,113 posts, read 11,012,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
My goodness at the memories your post drug out of the cobwebs ... I even remember Alabama (before they were famous) playing at The Bowery and saw the Marshall Tucker Band too ... and of course we had to go spend hours at the Pavilion. I am a shagger from way back. Just an old shagger now and still love beach music.

My uncle owned a beach house and in February in the 60's eight of us stayed there for the weekend ... it was like we were the only people in the whole world. Of course the house is gone and a high-rise condo stands there now.

I remember, as a child, my parents splurging on their vacation and staying at the Ocean Forest Hotel.

MB is a different place today but nothing ever stays the same and it's definitly turned into a money making machine now. But nothing can change the beautiful Atlantic Ocean.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM

My dream often involves a tsunami, with plenty of warning time so everybody can get away safely, that wipes the slate clean except for personal homes. Either that, or South Carolina needs its own Carl Hiaasen to at least make us temporarily feel good about the developers (whom scientists now classify beneath the bacteria). Of course in the case of Horry County most of the developers are homegrown; Burroughs and Chapin, the Hollidays, the Walls (Canal Wood Corp). These few families acquired most of the land in Horry County, often under despicable circumstances, initially to have rights to the timber. (Wood, turpentine, and pitch/tar was the first industry in the county, back when there were wooden ships.) They still held it when it came time to completely ruin Myrtle Beach with their developers' greed.

There is one excellent book about the times we've been talking about, called Banana Republic: A Year in the Heart of Myrtle Beach by Will Moredock. You can get a used copy pretty cheap on Amazon.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Yes, CW the ocean is the best area to live around.........shhh don't tell NEPA
I have to say that the restoration of the hotels is quite gorgeous. They look so different now.
All the design lines and the colors.......fantastic choices in colors.
It looks so much better now. I should have captured some pictures before this revival..........but I do have a couple from just lately. I took them at a bad angle from the car, but I should look them up...........such a nice refreshing change. ( well, I know we all love the past....but....at least now your refurbished )

Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 AM

I took this from the car......and quickly.....but this is the new style and colors of Myrtle Beach.

Just a blurred idea of part of the new skyline and colors...very retro for sure........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area