Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times

Advertisements

Hello my Myrtle Beach friends...I am once again living in your wonderful state, and in these wonderful surroundings.....
I thought you might like to visit Broadway at the Beach with me.
I posted photos yesterday in my home state area of NEPA. But, I have quite a few more so here are some for the smiling people of SC.

Margaritaville at Broadway at the Beach

Your Planet Hollywood.......

My favorite restaurant........and others below....

]

[IMG]

Walk along the shops......... Too be continued...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Magic Quest........fun for the kids

More restaurants at Broadway at the Beach

Sit awhile at Margaritaville.......looking out at the water...

Walk and visit the many shops...

A rides area......quite nice and expanded upon.

I'll save a chair for you.......Come enjoy........have fun!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Where are all the peoples??? These must have been taken during Senior's Day at Denny's!

Neat pics. Thanx for sharing.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,198 times
That Kodak Easyshare takes good pics! BATB is pretty desolate these days... but it's that time of the year in our little paradise..

Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM

I know it was kinda free of crowds, thats for sure.
I think I had picasa pick up the pictures on here, if I am not mistaken.( sometimes Kodak steps in before I can hollar ) I didn't do any touch ups.....I had to post some in the NEPA thread also so no time for glamour...
By March more people will be here and then the picture taking isn't so much fun........
Its like when your in NYC and trying for a good shot and people are all over the place.
Glad to hear everyone likes them......I did the trip just for CD....

Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM

78 posts, read 294,416 times
Hi,,,I luv the pictures, I've only seen that place in the summer when its jam packed. I've never seen any place in N.J. empty like that even during a snow storm. I hope to be living down there by next winter so I can see that first hand. Its such a pretty area & I'm sure it can be appreciated more without the crowds.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

272 posts, read 730,000 times
There's something I really don't understand and hope somebody will talk with me about it. I grew up near Myrtle Beach (just outside of Conway) long enough ago that I remember when there was an occasional pocket of nature even along Ocean Blvd (salt marsh around the "big roller coaster", uncrowded beaches, etc.). The tourists came for Easter, and then came back to stay when school let out. They stayed until Labor day, after which we had it to ourselves. Anybody remember the Ocean Surf Shop right where US 501 turns into Broadway (the real one)?

It was a beautiful place, and then the developers got hold of it. If you're a Floridian and have read books by Carl Hiaasen you know exactly what I'm talking about. (The developers always meet untimely ends in his books. Funny as heck.)

Anyway, we had a culture. Fishing. Oysters (in the months containing "R"). Surfing. Fried seafood. The late lamented Pavilion and rides. Driving on the beach. Beach music (before the term existed.) The shag. It was wonderful.

So what is the attraction of "Shops of New England" in South Carolina? Margaritaville, invoking Florida. Tacky structures of all kinds that would fit on a children's playground (there was never any pirate activity at Myrtle Beach, maybe they passed by offshore). It reminds me of other mysteries, like adults wearing Disney shirts and ties and maybe underwear for all I know.

I know why the developers do it: because they know people will come spend money. But what's so unattractive about coming to a place and enjoying it for what it is? When we go on vacations in the US it is based around some natural wonders; the coast of Maine, the swamps of Louisiana, the mountains of Appalachia, etc. Of course at any of these places you will find some tackiness (like Cherokee, NC) but it's not so overwhelming. Among environmental/conservation people, Myrtle Beach is now know all over the world for REALLY bad development, completely unplanned, and destruction of delicate habitats. To build some of the bypasses around MB they destroyed some habitats unique in the world (the Carolina Bays, round swampy areas thought to be the results of ancient meteor strikes).

What is so attractive about fiberglass dolphins when you can see real ones pretty much anytime you go on a boat beyond the breakers?

I am honestly curious.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 PM

78 posts, read 294,416 times
what I meant was the whole coastal area ,I find attractive. The beaches,ocean,palm trees , styles of houses. But when I do have to go shopping a place like Broadway at the Beach is a heck of a lot nicer then going shopping at a Mall in N.J. I'm sure the developers have ruined a lot of nice areas,that is all over,but you still have a lot to enjoy.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
So what is the attraction of "Shops of New England" in South Carolina? Margaritaville, invoking Florida. Tacky structures of all kinds that would fit on a children's playground (there was never any pirate activity at Myrtle Beach, maybe they passed by offshore). It reminds me of other mysteries, like adults wearing Disney shirts and ties and maybe underwear for all I know.
Swampwolf.........

The "Shops of New England" is a different and interesting area......Everyone who comes to visit really enjoy a trip to Broadway at the Beach.
Margaritaville is fun, fun, fun...........The restaurant is built with such quality and it shows. Its relaxing and enjoyable....if it reminds one of Florida.......thats ok too.
When the kids came to visit, they took some great pictures on the dinosaurs.......a cute stop along the way.
No one was wearing Disney shirts........Although people come to relax and have fun, so they certainly should if they want to.
It was one of the chilly days and early so very few were there........and I was glad of that for pictures.
It is a wonderful place to visit, take in a movie, get in your walking.......head to the Aquarium, which is tops....

Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj relocating View Post
what I meant was the whole coastal area ,I find attractive. The beaches,ocean,palm trees , styles of houses. But when I do have to go shopping a place like Broadway at the Beach is a heck of a lot nicer then going shopping at a Mall in N.J. I'm sure the developers have ruined a lot of nice areas,that is all over,but you still have a lot to enjoy.
You bettcha............
And for nature, the Parks on the ocean are just awesome......
One can buy a yearly pass to them, go all the time for swimming or nature walks.
I too love all that you mentioned. Barefoot landing is another good walking area with shops and restaurants......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area